Connection to FOH + guitar cab

Sine

Inspired
First time live with AXE, so I want to connect one output to FOH and another to guitar cab. How to separate one signal with and one without cab simulation? Thanks!

First time live with AXE, so I want to connect one output to FOH and another to guitar cab. How to separate one signal with and one without cab simulation? Thanks!

Firstly organise your presets so that the cab block is the final block in the chain.
Put the FX loop block before the cab block.

Connect your amp and cab to output 2
Connect output 1 to the desk/PA

Set the levels for both outputs using the controls on the front panel, and that's about it.

Good luck!

Thanks! Do I need to set some parameters in FX loop block or just leave it as it is? Sorry if question is dumb but this is too much tehnology for me right now.

This sounds a bit risky as your stage tone will be different to your FOH sound. Personally id want my stage sound to match my FOH sound. Maybe hard mic your stage cab ? Then you know what your sending to FOH. A Cab sim to match your cabinet ?! In the studio... Yes. Live ??? Its a different story.

View attachment 23229
Thanks! Do I need to set some parameters in FX loop block or just leave it as it is? Sorry if question is dumb but this is too much tehnology for me right now.

Follow craiguitar and listen to each output separately (with the other muted) and then together. If you are happy with the tone of each, you need only to adjust loudness. Since you are dealing with two separate, and dissimilar amp/speaker systems, there will probably be a noticeable difference in tone. Experiment…you may find the difference to be desirable, resulting in two tones that compliment each other. If necessary, add an EQ block just before the FX Loop that feeds OUT2.

Last edited:
I do this. To solve the problem of having different tones, I use the 4 cm with my real amp, and then send that sound to the amp and foh by splitting the chain at the end. To make sure the tones are as close to each other, I took an impulse response of my real cabinet, and use that as the cab block. That way, adjustments to my amp will sound the same through the FOH and my real amp and cabinet. Here is the set up. I use output 1 to split the signal, with left going to the amp, and right going through the cab to the FOH.

4cm andacoustic.jpg

This sounds a bit risky as your stage tone will be different to your FOH sound. Personally id want my stage sound to match my FOH sound. Maybe hard mic your stage cab ? Then you know what your sending to FOH. A Cab sim to match your cabinet ?! In the studio... Yes. Live ??? Its a different story.

Not at all. I've used this method for years and it works perfectly. Simply shoot an IR of your cab so the sound from the FOH matches your on-stage sound. In fact this works better than a mic'ed cab because if you adjust the volume on stage it won't affect the FOH mix.

+1 for Craigguitar's method. I've used the same for months now. If you need stereo effect after the amp, you will have to make duplicates so there is ie a stereo delay after each amps. It takes xtra processor power, but as long as you don't exceed 90% you're golden.
make sure, though, to test both outputs before a gig, as I have experienced that my amps switch from X to Y and viceversa, when I have tweaked my presets using Axe-edit (WITHOUT changing the X/Y state myself that is -have experienced this enough times, to know it's a bug).

Back
Top Bottom