Connection lost

MikeDV

Inspired
Just got a used FM3, 6.02 firmware. Downloaded FM3 Edit (1.05.16), hooked up to my iMac (10.15.7), worked great.
Shut down everything, left USB cord plugged in, with FM3 off, some of the lights on the top (forget which ones) were lit up; now if turned off, grey blank screen on FM3 , power cord plugged in or not, still turned off.
Now, no connection. Same cabling, same power source, will not connect.
Replaced USB cables. Deleted, reloaded FM3 Edit. Started with FM3 Edit on/off, with FM3 on/off, both combos, nothing.
Restarted Mac. USB cable works to other manufacturers' unit/editor as usual. Tried a Mac laptop, with both USB cables.
Did a reset of system parameters.
Looked at "Preferences" on FM Edit, In/Out set to FM3.
This happened on it's own, after sitting by itself for a couple of days.
The USB connection on the FM3 is just a little loose, but nothing different from how it was when it worked initially.
FM3 works normally on it's own, but no FM3 edit action.
From all that I've done, it almost has to be the FM3. No way to test, though.
Anyone have any further suggestions?

Last edited:
Shut down everything, left USB cord plugged in, with FM3 off, some of the lights on the top (forget which ones) were lit up; now if turned off, grey blank screen on FM3 , power cord plugged in or not, still turned off.
This shouldn't happen and makes me wonder if the USB cable was not wired correctly, or if there was a ground-loop through the USB. I have all three Fractal units, and when they're powered off they don't have any lights on, even though they remain connected to the Mac and it's on.

It's always a good idea to make sure the Mac, its peripherals, and the modeler(s) and anything connected to them, are on the same power-circuit. The easy way to confirm that is to put them all on the same power-strip. At this point it might be too late for that to help though.

[…]
Replaced USB cables. Deleted, reloaded FM3 Edit. Started with FM3 Edit on/off, with FM3 on/off, both combos, nothing.
It's definitely not an Edit problem, it's merely a messenger.

USB cable works to other manufacturers' unit/editor as usual.
That doesn't necessarily mean anything; If the other manufacturer uses a power-brick then it's probably isolated from ground-loops if that was the problem.

The USB connection on the FM3 is just a little loose, but nothing different from how it was when it worked initially.
That's probably just normal. USB connectors, especially the Type-B used by peripherals like printers and the modelers, is designed for easy attachment, not necessarily a tight fit.

FM3 works normally on it's own, but no FM3 edit action.
From all that I've done, it almost has to be the FM3. No way to test, though.
Anyone have any further suggestions?
I'd recommend talking to support@fractalaudio.com.

Back
Top Bottom