Connecting the Axe Fx directly to the Soundcard?

Joker

Inspired
I've been using an axe fx/amp setup for quite a while and now I want to try to record the sounds directly. I use a Soundcard with a Instrument Input (quarter inch jack), 2 Mic Inputs (XLR), four other quarter inch jack line ins and a s/pdif in... Now what's the best way for me to make direct recordings? Should I connect the two balanced xlr outputs (from the Output 1 section) with the two mic xlr inputs on my soundcard? I'm new to this sort of stuff, I just used to play with tube amps and pedals, and now I'm trying to get used to all these recording processes.

I have a Lexicon Omega soundcard... good enough? I use the soundcard with a pair of alesis m620 monitors, nothing too fancy... I'm just curious if there are better ways to record the axe... maybe through digital out? Or will all the methods yield the same results?

I wouldn't bother with the XLR connections unless you're using very long cables to connect to the soundcard. As for the S/PDIF connections:

Advantages:
- Digital fidelity. Generally highest quality audio since it skips digital-analog-digital conversions.
- Consistent levels. As long as you're not seeing clipping on the AxeFX, you'll get reliably good input levels.

Disadvantages:
- Clocking. Depending on how your studio is set up, clocking the S/PDIF might be a hassle.
- Sample rate conversion. Assuming you're recording at 44.1, the AxeFX output at 48 will need to be converted which may introduce undesirable artifacts depending on your interface.

Back
Top Bottom