Connecting Axe Fx to Saffire Pro 40 - XLR/TRS/Line Level - WTF?

VidarAus

Experienced
When I got my Axe FX Standard and Saffire Pro 40, perhaps 8 years ago, I quickly consulted the manual on connecting things up. It appeared that the Pro 40 accepted mic and line level signals on all of its inputs. So I (it turns out stupidly) plugged my Axe FX in using XLR, assumed that it would somehow detect it was a line level signal, bypass the Mic-Pre and deliver the signal at unity gain. I called it good, and never thought about it again.

When I got my AX8 recently I just swapped the cables from the Standard to the AX8 and called it good.

Turns out I am a complete idiot:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low...o-40-bypassing-preamp-official-statement.html

There seems to be lots of threads all over the web on this issue, and no definitive information or consensus on what is going on or how to connect line level devices correctly to the Pro 40.

So I think my best bet is consulting the knowledgeable people on this forum experienced with this interface.

For those on the board using the Axe FX/AX8 and a Pro 40, could you please chime in with how you have things set up? How do you connect (XLR? TRS? TS? Digital?)? How do you set the front gain knobs? Do you have any special settings in the Mix Control software? How can you set for unity gain? How can you ensure it is being processed as a line level signal? Does the Mic-Pre color the sound of the Axe?

Perhaps I have never been hearing the true power of the fractal all these years :(

Any and all advice is appreciated!

I'm using a Pro 14 and I always use SPDIF. Keeps the signal away from the preamp and converters on the Saffire.

I'm using a Pro 14 and I always use SPDIF. Keeps the signal away from the preamp and converters on the Saffire.
Thanks for the fast reply! I guess I will get myself an S/PDIF coax cable and A/B the difference. Can I just use any RCA cable, or do I need something in particular? Is spending up for expensive cables here (digital signal) sound advice?

Thanks for the fast reply! I guess I will get myself an S/PDIF coax cable and A/B the difference. Can I just use any RCA cable, or do I need something in particular? Is spending up for expensive cables here (digital signal) sound advice?
Nope. You need a special cable. Doesn't have to be $$$. Check monoprice.com.

I use an ax8 into the same pro 40.
I run 2x xlr, I think the main volume on the ax8 is about half, maybe just under.
Gain in the sapphire is low, maybe almost at 0.
The pad is off.

The sapphire led's make it pretty easy to see of if you're clipping.
Stay out of red and you'll be fine

+1 on S/PDIF. Seems to be a set and forget deal on levels too. Don't know why , but it always seems 'just right'. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can explain why.

+1 on S/PDIF. Seems to be a set and forget deal on levels too. Don't know why , but it always seems 'just right'. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can explain why.

In the digital domain, we're dealing with a numeric representation of a sound, it's a model, so a 0dB is a 0dB, and there's no room for interpretation. With analog signals, every preamp is different, and when we talk about levels there it's some voltage. Unlike digital, there's no predefined absolute maximum 0 dB voltage, so no such hard and undisputable point of reference. If an input has more headroom, it'll take a hotter signal without distortion and that will be then converted to 0 dBFS (digital). That same 0 dBFs will be different on a different card.

Back
Top Bottom