connecting Axe-Fx to Randall RT2/50, but mono out

march

hello,

My apologies for this very dumb question, but I looked into the manual of the Ultra I received yesterday, and I want to hook it up to a Randall RT2/50 ... the manual says something about stereo and channel switching but I'm not sure to get it right.

zoom_rt250_back.jpg

here's what it says on the website;

Two modes of operation allow for maximum versatility. Choose channel switching mode for 50 watts mono a side, or select full 100 watts stereo mode.
Mono “Channel Switching” mode allows you to run a single input into Ch. 1 then simply route single or multiple speaker cables from both Ch.1 & Ch. 2 outputs to separate cabinets to assign 6L6’s to one cab and EL34’s to another. Pair the Preamp tone, power tubes and preferred cabinet with each channel then switch back and forth between each cabinet for maximum versatility. “Stereo” mode simply activates both Ch.1 and Ch. 2 outputs at all times for continuous 6L6 and EL34 tone.

and in the manual;

4. Main Inputs (Channel 1/2):
These are the main signal inputs. Connect a high quality 1/4Ó patch cable, for the output of the RM4 or other guitar preamp, to
the Channel 1 input. When using the channel switching mode, you must use channel 1 input first. In Switching mode, Channel 1
inputs controls Channel 1 and 2 outputs. When using Stereo mode, you can use Channel 1 and Channel 2 inputs.
5. Switching/Stereo switch: The RT2-50 has 2 modes of operation, 100 watts of Stereo operation, and 50 watts per channel in
mono Switching mode. When assigning a specific channel to your guitar preamp, you must use Switching mode. Stereo mode can
be used for running multiple cabinets at the same time. Tip: Switching mode can also be used with multiple cabinets, so you can
switch back and forth between cabinets. Simply connect to Channel 1 input of your RT2-50 from your guitar preamp, and in switching
mode, run a speaker cable from both Channel 1 and Channel 2 outputs to different cabinets. This allows you to run different
sounds out of different cabinets and switch between them.
5. Main Outputs (Channel 1/2):
These are the main output, which is currently connected to your internal speakers. This can also be used as the main output for an
extension cabinet. YOU MUST USE THE MAIN OUTPUT FIRST.

Should I connect the unbalanced outputs 1 and 2 of the Axe to channel 1 and 2 of the RT2/50 ?

My problem is I have only one speaker cabinet (a 8Ohms marshall 1961B 2x12" with only one input), so I thought I could use the channel 1 output only ... but my fear is, channel 2 will not have any speaker cab connected, and you can't switch a power amp if there are no speakers connected, or am I mistaken ? Do I risk blowing up something in the power amp ?

marc

marc, i think you go to input 1 on the RT2/50 from the Out 1 Left from the Axe -
make sure that you have set mono in the Output menu.

If you only have one speaker you only can use one Ch on the RT, so if you use the
CH1 make sure not top switch to CH 2 on the front side knobs of the RT.

Make sure you are in the switching mode and not stereo mode.
Connect your Cab to the main speaker (use first) to the CH 1.
Set to 8 Ohm.

Make sure you speaker can handle 50 Watt.

You should make certain that in the Randall Forum:

http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/

cause i´m not 100% sure i´m right.

For the future:

by an second cab, in your case i would buy an open fenderish cabinet and connect that to the 6L6 Ch and use your Marshall cabinet with the EL34 CH.
The you can choose via midi, very cool but mono of course.

OR you can modify your cabinet with something like that:

[attachment=0:3if1m6d2]CaMD_label.png[/attachment:3if1m6d2]

wilfried

Attachments

• CaMD_label.png
    238.7 KB · Views: 278
Back
Top Bottom