Connecting Axe FX II to mac 10.6.8 with USB

I want to know if there is some cheap device that I can use to connect my Axe to my old mac via USB. (I can´t update the OS of the laptop).

Now I can use Axe edit, but I can´t do recordings.

I know one of these years I will have to get rid of my old Macbook, but it refuses to die.

Any suggestions?

Ive got my Axe FX 2 XL (running most recent firmware) hooked up to my Mac Mini 2012 running 10.6.8. I can access the most recent Axe Edit and record to Logic Pro X 10.0.7 thru the Axe Edits USB connection. The system runs great! What issues are you having?

Hello !!! I'm new in Fractal and I just got my new Axe Fx 2 XL+ with the new Q Firmware 2 but I cannot connect it to my iMac running 10.10.5. I already download drivers, new Axe Edit 3.5.1 but nothing happens, the computer cannot see the Axe but I installed all the software on my MacBook Pro running 10.6.8 and everything runs like water. Anybody can help me...? Thanks

Ive got my Axe FX 2 XL (running most recent firmware) hooked up to my Mac Mini 2012 running 10.6.8. I can access the most recent Axe Edit and record to Logic Pro X 10.0.7 thru the Axe Edits USB connection. The system runs great! What issues are you having?

How do you do it?

The problem is that my Axe wont appear anywhere as an USB audio input device.

In the drivers page...

http://www.fractalaudio.com/drivers.php

...it says that it won´t work as an USB audio device with 10.6.8.

I want to know if there is some cheap device that I can use to connect my Axe to my old mac via USB. (I can´t update the OS of the laptop).

Now I can use Axe edit, but I can´t do recordings.

I know one of these years I will have to get rid of my old Macbook, but it refuses to die.

Any suggestions?
it seems you want to record the audio from your Axe-Fx.

you need an audio interface. you can use almost anything available, but i don't suggest the 2i2 if you want to play in stereo.

Chris, I record the audio from my Axe FX into my Mac Mini using the USB. I dont use an additional interface. He should be able to do the same if he sets up his daw to see and use Axe FX as a source. And then configure the Axe FX output to be using the digital output.

Chris, I record the audio from my Axe FX into my Mac Mini using the USB. I dont use an additional interface. He should be able to do the same if he sets up his daw to see and use Axe FX as a source. And then configure the Axe FX output to be using the digital output.
wow interesting. reported minimum version for audio is 10.7.4. maybe you can talk him through the "set up his daw to see and use Axe Fx as a source" part :) i would assume that it just won't show up for him. i unfortunately can't help any further as i don't have any 10.6.8 devices.

Im using Logic Pro X. Im not sure if theres a difference in setting them up. How long you been recording and mixing with Logic? What other sound sources have you used :)

I always recorded with a Yamaha G046. But that was before the AXE.

The problem is that I can´t make it appear as a sound device in my macbook.

I suggest if you are in the US to call me. I hate typing and computer trouble shooting is best done in live dialog. I you want I will PM my number to you .

On my Logic software the Axe shows up as an input source on the Preferences/Devices/Input area. Thats all you need to record. Then the AF output must be configured to output digital thru the USB. Then Logic has to be setup to hear that signal. RTM for that info. ;)

Last edited:
Then the AF output must be configured to output digital thru the USB. Then Logic has to be setup to hear that signal. RTM for that ino. ;)

The Logic part you explained was the samething I was trying to do.

The AF part I don´t know where to do it. In the I/O menu? In that menu I have USB/DIGI OUT SOURCE OUTPUT 1

Anyway I think I will try to conect the AXE USB to an audio interface and from that to the mac.

Afterall it is not supposed to work if connected direct under 10.6.8. although some magicians like you are able to do it. LOL

Thanks again for your patience

It IS supposed to work under 10.6.8. I ran a Mac Pro system with the same OSX and version of Logic. A good friend is also running a similar Mac setup.

Im not sure why you are having problems with it, but I wish you good luck on what ever solution you decide to use :)

When I got my XL I swear it was stated USB audio would not work on Snow Leopard. After 10.6 there was an update to Apple USB protocol that broke a bunch of stuff.

Snow Leopard was one of the most stable OS that Apple has ever had. I guarantee I would not have updated unless I had to. When I got the XL I bumped to Mavericks, then Yosemite. Not bad but be prepared if you're using Logic 9 because the new OSX versions jack it up.

My humblest apologies. I just checked my system and I am running 10.8.5. That would explain why things are working. Sorry.:weary:

Back
Top Bottom