Connecting an IPad to Axe FX II

Wallimann

Hi everyone,
I use the Axe FX II for my guitar effects but also use an IPad to trigger samples.
Is there a way to connect my IPad to the Axe FX keeping the sound from the IPad unprocessed while also having my guitar into the Axe?

Does that make sense? :)

Thanks in advance!

Sure does make sense.

Take a look at the Effects Loop (FXL) block. You can add this in any place in the matrix and, where the block exists, sound coming in to the block will get routed to Output 2, and sound appearing at Input 2 will get sent out of this block in the matrix. See: http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Effects_loop_(FXL)_(FX_block)

So you could insert an FXL block an an empty row in the matrix, take the output of the FXL block and bring it all the way over to the output on the left side and then use the mixer knobs for each row to adjust the level between your Input 2 source and your processed guitar.

Or you could route the output to a MIX block and use that to combine your processed guitar with unprocessed input 2 signal.

And so on.

You can even run effects after the FXL block and do processing on the signal if you like, that's independent of what's happening to your guitar signal. It's be CPU-dependent how crazy you could go with this approach...

Huh? But how do you CONNECT the iPad? The I has usb, so you'll have to get, I'm assuming, a special usb cable that connects to the iPad, or an adaptor. OR an adaptor going from the mini plug that splits into 2 male 1/4". Is this what you're asking?

USB won't work.

You need to either use something like this: iO Dock Pro Audio Dock For iPad & iPad 2

Or take the headphone output and run it through something like this: Radial ProAV1 and ProAV2 audio-video direct boxes

Or even just try taking an 1/8" TRS to 1/4" TR splitter and pluggin it in to the headphone jack and then running that it. You'll have to be very careful with the volume level if you do it that way. Start at 0 and inch in up on the iPad.

iaresee said:
USB won't work.

Or even just try taking an 1/8" TRS to 1/4" TR splitter and pluggin it in to the headphone jack and then running that it. You'll have to be very careful with the volume level if you do it that way. Start at 0 and inch in up on the iPad.

I do this. Just get an 1/8" to stereo 1/4" cable and plug an fx loop into a non-used row and shunt it through ( or add effects as desired on the Ipad signal).

Thanks so much for this everyone!
So I would need to add an FX loop to all the guitar patches I use during the set in order to have the IPad go through, correct?

as said before, USB has nothing to do with this. you are dealing with the ipad's audio, not a computer connection.

http://www.amazon.com/Live-Wire-TRS-Dual-Cable/dp/B001G7HDKQ

you need a cable like the one linked above to take the stereo 1/8" output of the ipad to go to 2 separate 1/4" mono connectors. the easiest way would be to add an FX loop to the first column of an unused row in each patch you use, let's say row 4. then add shunts all the way to the end of row 4 so you get sound. plug in the 2 1/4" connectors to input 2 l/r. you should now have the ipad's sound along with your guitar sound. again, add the FX loop to each patch you want to use for this to work.

I use my iPad into my Ultra effects loop this way too and it works great. I can run drum loops and trigger sample's. Just recently I've been using the Sonuus i2M midi converter and now I can
have full synth sounds mixed with my guitar. The chain I set up for this is, iPad effects loop - volume block with expression pedal - Delay or Reverb block.
If you don't mind me asking what are you using on your iPad to hold the samples in? I've used Nano Studio and it works good. I just import my sample's/loops to the drum pads and trigger them
with the SoftStep midi controller.

Back
Top Bottom