Connect AXE-FX and iPad

Just a note to say I have a solution that works for me as follows:
On the iPad, the app is called OnSong. Please see its features in the App store. Very adaptable and with solid support. Used widely in church environs where musicians have their own iPads all sync'd from a master in real time for scores, charts and lyrics. Has songs and sets with linked in itunes tracks and scrolling of charts etc. material based on the duration of each song.

The app sends Bank and Program change midi commands to my Axe-fx and also receives commands from my programmed MFC101 to move to next song, start and stop, volume up /down on the iPad, Volume Up/Down on the Axe-Fx II, etc.

For audio, I use the standard stereo out of the iPad into my mixer. If your mixer does not have sufficient gain, insert a head phone amp.

For Midi, I use iRig MIDI. It's a little flimsy sitting on the 30pin connector so I bought a metre 30 pin extension cable from Cable Jive. Only the most expensive cable will work as lower end cables do not carry all the required connections.

The Axe-Fx II is set up with Midi Thru and receives commands on channel 1 while the iPad receives commands on Channel 2.

This setup works a treat for me with each song selecting its preset as you move to it. No ability as yet to change preset at a particular time offset on a backing track but the request has been made. Hope this helps.

Has anyone tried to use the axe fx II as an i/o interface for ipad (lightning) using the cck?
It would save me some money if I didn't have to buy a seperate interface just to plug in my guitar etc to my ipad.
I know there are some cheap interfaces (e.g. irig) but I want a cleaner digital signal.
So, I was thinking that maybe I could connect the ipad with the axe fx via usb and plug the guitar in the axe's input to play and record on the ipad with various apps while monitoring from my studio monitors that are connected to my axe.
There are some really nice apps (e.g. BIAS - if you haven't checked it already maybe you should) for the ipad and if I could use them without having to buy another interface would be great.

Maybe I'm missing something but I plugged my iPad into the fx return in the Axe.
Added an fxloop on a dedicated chain in the grid.
I hear the ipad, can play along with anything.

No, I want to use the axe as an interface.
I don't want to insert the ipad into the axe's grid, I know how to do that.
What I want to do is to use the axe fx as an irig hd for example. Guitar in axe fx and from axe fx's usb i/o to ipad's lightning i/o.
Then use the apps on the ipad and monitor them through the axe to my studio monitors.
Many class-compliant interfaces work with ios even though they were not designed to do so.

Last edited:
I was referring to the OPs situation.
You're right, why buy a crappy interface if you've got an Axe to possibly get your signal into the iPad.
I just started using mine in my live rig to trigger samples from Garageband (by hand) going thru the Axe.
Love how flexible the Axe is for this type of stuff.
Now I just wish for an iOS version of Axe Edit.

Last edited:
Check out iConnectMIDI4+ by Iconnectivity. The new + versions also do audio pass-through. and they are coming out with IconnectAudio+ (currently in development). I have the IconnectMIDI4+ and it is incredible. Works with Lightning and camera connection kit too. Has internal midi and audio patch bays, usb midi, standard midi, usb audio, network midi, supports adding a hub for more midi devices along with Mac, PC software and Ipad app for easy config. Works incredible for all midi and most audio even without an ipad but made to work with ipads. They make a smaller version if you do not need as many connections. They also charge the IPad !

Last edited:
What would be the best way to trigger samples from the ipad with a footswitch?
I have it hooked into the fx return.
Gotta love technology.

Back
Top Bottom