Connect a piezo equipped guitar

deakle

Experienced
Hi everyone. I just received a new Carvin DC400 custom shop with an active piezo pickup. What I want to do is connect my magnetic jack to input 1 on the front of my Axe FX II with a distortion setting and connect the piezo jack to input 2 on the rear of my Axe FX II and an acoustic patch. Right now I am just experimenting with the piezo trying to learn my way around it. When I connect he piezo jack to input 1 on the front of my Axe FX II, and turn the piezo/magnetic blend knob on my guitar all the way to piezo, all that I hear is a loud hum. What am I doing wrong? I am using a mono cable, could that be it? Should I be using a stereo cable for the piezo jack? I could really use some help with this one.

No idea why you hear a hum. Is that with a clean amp setting or a distortion amp setting? I'm not sure how that guitar is wired.

If your guitar has a blend knob, a mono cable should be sufficient. Does your guitar have a switch that turns blending on/off? In this case, the guitar might have two a stereo output with mono compat if blending mode is enabled.

There's basicly four established standards for piezo equipped guitars:

1) The guitar has two seperate mono outputs - left is magnetic, right is piezo
2) The guitar has a single stereo jack - again, left is magnetic, right is piezo
3) The guitar has a single mono jack and a blending knob to mix both signals
4) The guitar has a single stereo jack - with a switch and a knob - the switch will toggle the behaviour of the guitar between 2) and 3)

Make sure that if your guitar is 4), you have the switch so that the behaviour is as described in 2)

Back
Top Bottom