Confused on this signal routing in preset

Jeff B

Inspired
Hey guys! So, I'm having a problem understanding something that is probably quite simple for most all of you. Signal chains. Sometimes I see guys with a single row of amps, effects, etc. and it's simple... a bunch of stuff and shunts and there's the sound. Other times I see a ton of parallel effects running on all different rows and so on. Well... I downloaded a shared file from the forum here and found in one of the scenes a really nice acoustic tone. So I decided to clean up all the other blocks that I wasn't using and put everything into one easy signal chain as you see in the image below:

Acoustic SC.jpg

I'm not too sure why I'm not hardly getting any sound through the chain. No matter if the reverb block is on or off, I don't get anything. If I remove the reverb block completely, I get a nice tone. If I add a shunted block above the reverb block from the prior, I get a sound, but it seems that for every additional routing of the signal chain I add to the output at the end, it just gets louder and louder (i.e. If I branch off and add 4 splits of the signal to the end it is REALLY loud). I'm not sure why or how it works like that, but that's why I'm here. Here is the .syx file for you to upload and play with to see if you're getting the same results:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kp5qhrfopv1w18i/Acoustic Guitar.syx

Thanks for any help you can give. :)

Attachments

• Acoustic Guitar.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 2
Check the BYPASS mode of the REVERB block and make sure it's set to MUTE FX IN. Make sure the MIX in the REVERB block is less than 50%.

Last edited:
With that routing you'd typically want the reverb bypass mode to be Mute FX In, or possibly Mute FX Out or Thru. Not Mute In, which mutes the dry as well when bypassed.

Turn the reverb mix down if not placing a parallel dry path. An easy method to keep the dry level equal to what a shunt passes is mix 50%, block level +6 dB. Then use input gain to adjust reverb level.

With that routing you'd typically want the reverb bypass mode to be Mute FX In, or possibly Mute FX Out or Thru. Not Mute In, which mutes the dry as well when bypassed.
Yes, mute Fx in. Typing too fast in a meeting...mistyped that.

So, I've changed the Mute to "Mute FX In" and turned the Reverb mix down to 50% and I am getting a sound now. Thank you very much. :)

I realize that the mix level mixes the dry and the wet, but why is it that when I turn my chorus up to 100% mix, or add a delay block and turn it up to 100?% mix. It may sound odd, but my sound still comes through. Not sure what it is about the reverb block that is different from other effect blocks in regards to the mix.

Should it be rule-of-thumb to set most all your effect blocks to 50%?

So, I've changed the Mute to "Mute FX In" and turned the Reverb mix down to 50% and I am getting a sound now. Thank you very much. :)

I realize that the mix level mixes the dry and the wet, but why is it that when I turn my chorus up to 100% mix, or add a delay block and turn it up to 100?% mix. It may sound odd, but my sound still comes through. Not sure what it is about the reverb block that is different from other effect blocks in regards to the mix.

Should it be rule-of-thumb to set most all your effect blocks to 50%?

I'd set it to be much less than 50% -- but I don't like a lot of reverb. :)

There's nothing different about the reverb block at 100% mix compared to other effects. At 100% mix it will output just the reverb signal. Make sure the input gain and your overall volume is high enough to notice this.

If you set mix to 50% you can still control the reverb amount with input gain. The 50% +6 dB thing is an easy combination to remember that keeps your dry level unchanged. Disregard for delay; the mix control works differently and doesn't affect dry level from 0 to 50%. So, most of the time you can keep block level at 0 dB in series.

Back
Top Bottom