Confused by Telecasters

Do you folks reckon the Nocaster pickups are similar to the 1951 pickups in the Vintage 51 Tele? Because the pickups in that sounded awesome. I sort of assume they’re similar given the era.
The Nocasters should have a bit more output and possibly clarity. Construction is similar, but I believe there are small differences such as the base plate - copper plated steel on the Pure Vintage, tin plated copper on the Nocaster. Don't know enough about base plates to offer any details on tonal impact. Pure Vintage are more of a production pickup whereas the Nocaster are from their custom shop line.

I haven't tried any recent teles so I can't speak to how any of the newer pickups sound. I don't think you can really go wrong with any of the non-standard tele pickups, Pure Vintage included. Fender seems to step up their game on 'tribute' or reissue guitars. All I can definitively say is the Nocaster pickup is the tele tone in my head. Think Brad Paisley 'Alcohol' solo on Austin City Limits. Thick, beefy yet distinctly tele tone.

All I can definitively say is the Nocaster pickup is the tele tone in my head. Think Brad Paisley 'Alcohol' solo on Austin City Limits. Thick, beefy yet distinctly tele tone.
That is absolutely the sound. The tones I love are a little bit more of that 63 vibe, but I mean, I’m starting to think I should get a 63 style Tele and a 51 style Tele too. They’re just so good.

Can’t believe I’ve played for 20 years and am only just now playing Teles. Really feel like I’ve been missing out.

That is absolutely the sound. The tones I love are a little bit more of that 63 vibe, but I mean, I’m starting to think I should get a 63 style Tele and a 51 style Tele too. They’re just so good.

Can’t believe I’ve played for 20 years and am only just now playing Teles. Really feel like I’ve been missing out.
The simplicity of the Tele makes it an amazing platform for highlighting pickup variations.

The simplicity of the Tele makes it an amazing platform for highlighting pickup variations.
I think this is kind of the magic, though. It makes it a great pedal platform, a great pickup platform, and a great platform for those of us who like to use volume knobs, tone knobs, and different picking attacks to emphasize certain sounds. I wish that somebody had sat me down in front of some amps I like with a nice Tele before.

The thing that I found difficult to get over is that the MIM lineup just seems to struggle with some of this. I think it's the pickups and the electronics, all of which feel anemic to me in those lines. But once you get good tapers and responsive knobs in these guitars, they're just beastly.

If it was mine, it'd get Fralin HO Split Rail Bridge and AlNiCo Pole Hum Free P90 in the neck, all Rutters hardware....
I went with an DiMarzio Area T in the bridge and a PAF 36th Anniversary humbucker in the neck. Kind of a shot in the dark, but I like what I heard from demos of those pickups. Not sure where those rank amongst the purists out there, but it's all good. :)

I went with an DiMarzio Area T in the bridge and a PAF 36th Anniversary humbucker in the neck. Kind of a shot in the dark, but I like what I heard from demos of those pickups. Not sure where those rank amongst the purists out there, but it's all good. :)
Sounds like a good pairing. I have 4 Teles already, but could still see acquiring one with a Firebird mini humbucker at the neck, one with a P90 at the neck, and maybe even an Esquire (no neck pickup at all)....

Sounds like a good pairing. I have 4 Teles already, but could still see acquiring one with a Firebird mini humbucker at the neck, one with a P90 at the neck, and maybe even an Esquire (no neck pickup at all)....
This will be my 3rd. But my other two are dual hum "metal" guitars. Still, love how they look/play/sound. I'd like to get a H/S/H setup with a trem eventually. This is high on my GAS meter...5650_full_lg.jpg

I’m not a tele guy necessarily but this shipped in today. Suhr alt t

played it all of five minutes, looking forward to putting some tracks down soon.

Brad Witford preset from fractal xmas at lowish volume 🤟🏽

Well, I bought one. If you are a traditionalist, I ask you please not judge me, but I bought an Ultra Luxe. (I am mildly ashamed because of the price.

For those who are curious, I'll share my thoughts:

• I tried the American Professional II. Very clear, wonderful pickups, but the bridge is way too bright, and the treble knob isn't particularly responsive. Still not a huge fan of the three saddle setup, although I know that many love it (and apologies to you if you do). The ones they had in this store darn near took your head off, which is consistent with my experience with them. That's not the sound I am looking for.
  • They had a used American Pro with a 50s blackguard. This thing was great. Very well balanced. Like an American Performer II without the bite. But the neck was a little chunky — a Deep C, but getting close to a U? The neck was good, but compared to some of the others, it was not my favourite. But the sound was lovely.
  • The Performer. Less alive than the used American Pro, which turned me off right away.
  • A used Elite, which just sort of sounded anemic. I think the pickups left me cold.
  • The Player series remains... uninspiring. (Sorry!)
  • The Ultra Luxe had this incredible neck, and the contour and carves of the body are great. The pickups aren't quite as chimey, but once I EQ'd the amps, I got this thing to sound amazing. A little bit of a treble boost and it does the twangy thing without an issue, but mostly, this just felt like a Telecaster with the edges rolled off just enough that all the pickup positions were very usable. The guitar has a personality, but was also just incredibly versatile in what I could get from it — more so than the others.
Between the comfort and the versatility (remember, studio work), I ended up with the Ultra Luxe.

Thanks all for all of your help and insight with this. I see what each of you like with Teles. Turns out I just wanted something... less like a traditional Tele.

(Edited to fix mistakes and add mention of the used Elite.)
Congrats on your new guitar. I love t style guitars and think you picked a great one.

One thing you might want to think about is adjusting the wiring a bit so that you remove the neck pickup from the tone circuit and only have our control the bridge.

Randall

The Ultra Luxe has stainless steel frets, which is another thing that got me interested in it.

I mean, I know it's overpriced for a Tele, but if it scratches just the right itch, then that's kind of just... what that itch costs? My Les Paul still cost more!
No need to defend-great purchase, great guitar. I have the Ultra Strat (2020) Not the LUX though. Killer guitar and it ain't overpriced if you can afford it and want it. BTW-Traditionalist is very over-rated imho!

Congrats on your new guitar. I love t style guitars and think you picked a great one.

One thing you might want to think about is adjusting the wiring a bit so that you remove the neck pickup from the tone circuit and only have our control the bridge.

Randall
Thank you Randall! I didn’t learn about this mod until yesterday, but I don’t think this one needs it. The pickups are surprisingly well balance, which is something I like about the guitar a lot. (And I’m already using the tone knob on the neck.) That being said, I played a Vintage 51 that would benefit from this and I think every American Pro II should get this mod done.
No need to defend-great purchase, great guitar. I have the Ultra Strat (2020) Not the LUX though. Killer guitar and it ain't overpriced if you can afford it and want it. BTW-Traditionalist is very over-rated imho!
You are too kind, thank you! I agree that I’m all for leaving tradition behind when it’s called for. Still waiting for the new Gibson administration to make a standard double cut LP with easy heel access.

At the risk of sounding insane, I have basically talked my self into going to the store again, bringing some gear I don’t use anymore, and trading it all in towards this: https://www.gearmusic.com/store/pro...s-telecaster-butterscotch-w-ohsc?sku=ZZZ00790

If y’all think this is a stupid idea, let me know. But this Tele was as magical as my new Ultra Luxe. Just in a different way. So naturally, I want (need, as I’m sure you understand) both of them.

PS. If you live near Oakville, please don’t be a jerk. I want this one! Please don’t buy it before I do…

At the risk of sounding insane, I have basically talked my self into going to the store again, bringing some gear I don’t use anymore, and trading it all in towards this: https://www.gearmusic.com/store/pro...s-telecaster-butterscotch-w-ohsc?sku=ZZZ00790

If y’all think this is a stupid idea, let me know. But this Tele was as magical as my new Ultra Luxe. Just in a different way. So naturally, I want (need, as I’m sure you understand) both of them.

PS. If you live near Oakville, please don’t be a jerk. I want this one! Please don’t buy it before I do…
I just bought it....

(I'm kidding...)

I just bought it....

(I'm kidding...)
Of all the people in the forum, you are who I would most expect to buy it! 😉 Thanks for your restraint!

For clarity, I plan on trading in an old pocket POD, a Orange Micro Terror and Orange cab, an old acoustic, and a zebra wood PRS SE Custom 24 which gets little play time from me.

Back
Top Bottom