Configuring my AXE 2XL for LIVE use

If you should get functional problems or midi clock noise on your audio when arranging MIDI and USB sockets on the same panel, try this (it worked for me):
To avoid a ground loop problem between the MIDI socket (cable shield) GND and the GND of the (Neutrik-) USB socket via the common panel, remove the (default) connection between the USB GND and the outer metallic case within the Neutrik USB socket. Thus the USB GND is directly connected to the Axe's USB input without being additionally cross-connected to the panel/MIDI GND.

Good info, thanks! I ended up ditching the midi connections on the panel and kept the USB. ;)

Good info, thanks! I ended up ditching the midi connections on the panel and kept the USB. ;)

Ditching the midi connections on the panel has the same effect, but I needed the midi connections. I own a non FASLink AXE2, a Gen1 MFC and my old Standard as a backup.

Im using the same setup and have been experimenting with my pa system. Currently. Im running out of the XLR outputs right and left into my Atomic Powered enclosure, which I have put on a pole at ear level. Then I just run a single line out of the Atomic to the pa, I do plan to go stereo at some point and use 2 Atomics on poles on either side to get true stereo onstage and the run thru each Atomic to the pa to have true stereo in the pa as well. That's the plan at the moment.

Nice setup. Thats allot of gear! How many cabs in total??

I have a vertex high impedance volume pedal on its way to me right now. I'll be able to do as you do, use it with MFC via TRS cable or in front of my traditional amplifiers.

Sweet!

Usually like to drag a pair of Diezel 4X12's and run the stack. Nice amount of air moving :)
Bottom cab is loaded with V30's and the top has K100's. Nice mix together onstage.
Of course, I don't "need" the cabs, yet DAMN it's cool, HAHAHAHA

Here we go. What's a thread without photos right?

I've been using the AXE XL now for 2 weeks and what an experience, I love it!

Mounted everything in an SKB R4W rolling rack. I really like this case.. I needed to re-thread the rack's mounting points which I found a little cheap. The supplied bolts required a TON of torque to twist and felt as if they would strip/gaul the rack threads! NOT GOOD if you want to change things in and out of the rack frequently. The threading tool needed is a USA 10-32NF male bit. Re-threaded and everything now feels perfect.

294ib2t.jpg

9s6usx.jpg

2v19lcl.jpg

14e5qfp.jpg

11tws47.jpg

Last edited:
Got a Fusion DJ backpack for all my equipment. I must have looked at 100 bags. This was the best one for me. Plenty of storage for all my MFC, expression pedals and cables. Highly recommended.

2wqv4p0.jpg

33wsefo.jpg

Nice!

I think if it were me, though, I'd have put that Vafam panel in the bottom slot rather than the top to keep the cabling out of the way of the Axe front panel.

You make a valid point Cagey. It's configured currently to work best for how I position it weekly when I play live. I'll snap a photo next time I set everything up.

I merely play club gigs and the FOH guy we hire runs EAW speakers, QSC power and a Yamaha LS9 digital console. My Axe2 rig sounds fantastic through his gear. Who's running a $300 PA system?

He is talking to me and he makes a good point!

The passport is not the greatest but it's okay and gets the job done. It's what we have for now..

Having my CLR in the mix will be good. Now that you mention it I am interested to hear how everything sounds. I have yet to use it with the PA..

As a side note, I am looking to build a mini gig rig for a music project and was looking for gear recommendations..

It will need a power amp, eq panel and mixing console.

Any good recommendations on PA speakers?

p43230.jpg

Last edited:
If you are looking for a PA for gigging there are a few things we need to consider first.

What type of act is it?

What type of venues do you typically play and what is the attendance?

What is your budget?

How often to you gig out with this group? This is part of the budget question. If you are only gigging a few times a year you may be better off building a relationship with a rental house or sound company and just rent the rig when you need it. The way you can rent exactly what you need for the gig. An alternative would be to purchase a console, mics, and your stage gear and just rent the racks and stacks for gigs.

How may people are in your band and what instruments do they play?

I am a big fan of the latest generation of digital consoles so I would start there. If you have the budget the Allen and Heath QU-16 is a nice console that I have used several times. As much as I hate to say it, but the Behringer X32 series of consoles is great as well.

It would be for a semi-professional band mostly, anywhere from 3-12 people at a given time. Various arrangements including potential choir use and other non-musical uses i.e plays, etc.

Instruments would be predominantly keys, drums, guitars, vocals and some wind instruments.

I would like to get something that is reasonably portable. No idea what the budget will be but I like mid-high quality things.

Back
Top Bottom