Configuring Mission SP-1 with AXE II and MFC101

Kluner

Step 1: I have successfully calibrated my SP1 with the MFC and AxeII to operate as a wah (it currently bypasses if I have the heel down, modifier parameters set to Ext1 and auto-engage is off).

Step 2: I would like to utilize the SP1's extra switch (connected via TRS cable to Exp 3 on the MFC) to turn the wah effect on and off (cc 97 by default?)...here is where I get completely confused! Can someone please help me...mission specifically says not to use the MFC expression switches, but rather use the expression pedal inputs. I simply cannot get this to work for me.

thanks

Hi Yek, I have found the wiki to be extremely helpful, but when I read through the instructions, it appears as though they are directing me to use the expression switch vs. the expression pedal input (which is counter to the mission setup guidance). Am I misinterpreting this setup? This is my first attempt a making a midi connection with my new gear and am extremely lost in the details at this point (making multiple rookie mistakes at this point)...any guidance you can provide would be much appreciated.

Best Regards

If you scroll up in the Wiki link posted, you will see this:

"In this video James from Mission Engineering explains that you connect the switch output to an expression pedal input instead! Handy if you need the switch inputs on the MFC-101 for other purposes."

Richard

I got my Mission SP1-LF to work with the MFC 101 utilizing XS 3-4 and a 1/4" instrument jack.

I opened the back of the pedal and clipped the green wire off the jack on the SP1 to interrupt the contact between the sleeve and the ring.

When you activate or deactivate the switch on the Mission pedal it alternates contact from the tip/sleeve and tip/ring, if you put a regular 1/4" instrument jack in the SP1 it is always showing contact because the sleeve is the same as the ring.

I am not using XS4 right now so I don't know if this will affect switching on another device if I choose to use XS4 later.

This won't pertain to you, but I had to swap out the switch with a latching type (The "LF" uses a momentary type switch to work with the Liquidfoot)

Maybe someone who knows can tell us how the switching works on the MFC...is it tip to ring for 1 contact and tip to sleeve on the other?

Last edited:
Step 1: I have successfully calibrated my SP1 with the MFC and AxeII to operate as a wah (it currently bypasses if I have the heel down, modifier parameters set to Ext1 and auto-engage is off).

Step 2: I would like to utilize the SP1's extra switch (connected via TRS cable to Exp 3 on the MFC) to turn the wah effect on and off (cc 97 by default?)...here is where I get completely confused! Can someone please help me...mission specifically says not to use the MFC expression switches, but rather use the expression pedal inputs. I simply cannot get this to work for me.

thanks

Hi Kluner,

I just set this exact thing up 2 weeks ago. Here is the information I used to get things up and running:

1. 2 x TRS (stereo) cables as follows:

SP-1 out 1 => MFC pedal 1
SP-1 out 2 => MFC switch 1+2

2. Follow this thread: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/ultra-std-discussion/35227-mission-sp1-switch-wah-2.html#post568583

- Yeks instructions (posted Apr-18-2011) will get the switch configured and pedal calibrated
- My follow-ups (Oct-31-2011) address the potential LED on/off issue

3. This thread contains the instructions to get the SP-1 expression pedal working for volume and WAH control and the switch as a WAH bypass: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/mfc-discussion/41968-mission-sp1-vol-wah-same-patch.html

- Follow bakerman's post (Oct-9-2011)

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/mfc-discussion/41968-mission-sp1-vol-wah-same-patch.html4. After following this everything worked great - except one thing. When going to the patch or turning the AxeFx on volume was at 0 until I touched the pedal. I inverted the appropriate modifier settings and that resolved the issue.

All of this is from memory (I am at work) so YMMV. I would be happy to confirm any of my settings if you need me to.

Good luck.

Last edited:
thanks JKSTRAW...works like a charm now...you do have to use the XS instead of the XP inputs on the MFC for the SP-1 Output 2 (switch output)...the OEM/Mission guidance about using an XP input for the switch doesn't appear workable.

Another confused newbie on this setup...I don't think what I want to do can work

I've gone through the wiki and Bakerman's post. I want to use my Mission SP-1 a little differently though. I use a "1" patch that handles a good chuck of what I do. It's based on Euro Red with the drive set at 5.5. It's heavy crunch with the guitar volume up, and cleans up really well with the volume on my guitar. For leads, I need more than a volume boost, but I don't like the hard volume jump of a preset for boosts. The way I have it set up now heel to toe on the SP-1 is perfect...

Modifier on amp drive, linked to Exp1 brings drive from 5.5 to 8 (plenty of gain for me)
Modifier on PEQ bypass, linked to Exp1 brings bypass from 20% to 100% (mid boost)
Modifier on delay mix, linked to Exp1 brings delay mix from 10% to 20%

This give a smooth, louder sound with plenty of gain for leads, and it eases in so the audience can't hear it. It also allows me to go halfway in the sweep if I don't want it full out (without extra presets). I only use the wah on leads, and this is where the problem comes in.

I have the wah set up with the switch as described in the threads above and it works, except that when I click in the wah, the other modifiers are still active. So I have a lead with a wah with the volume going up and down. I can't use Bakerman's method because the bypass is actually giving me the mid boost in the PEQ block (and I would by bypassing the amp as well).

I've spent HOURS and HOURS trying to get this to work. Is it possible, or do I have to go to the lead preset with an IA route.

Thanks,
Rich

Amp and ridiculous pedalboard to AxeII and MFC convert

I am a total noob here and trying to set up my SP1 to Wah but I can't seem to find this out. Please help.

2. Set the FREQ parameter of the Wah block to the External controller (the one that's tied to to the expression pedal, see below).

Yek ? Is this not applicable to the II? I see this was made for Ultra.

Ah I found it. Still trying to figure this out. Need to set up the switch. Somehow EXP1 is giving me volume and I tried EXP2 its set to Wah.. Still missing something.

Okay, I can't seem to configure this really. Does anyone have a step by step (understandable by noobs) guide to set up a new SP1 (with switch) with MFC and Axe II each connected to XP1 and Switch 1+2 ?

- Connect the Pedal Out on the pedal to XP 1 on the MFC. Use a TRS (stereo-stereo) cable!

- Connect the Switch Out on the pedal to XS 1+2 on the MFC. Use a TRS (stereo-stereo) cable!
(I know Mission recommends connecting the switch to an expression pedal input on the MFC, but that hasn't worked for me.)

On the MFC go to Edit > Setup:
- Set XS1 to type TOGGLE
- XP1: calibrate the pedal if necessary (see manual).

On the MFC go to Edit > MIDI:
- Set XS1 to #97 and TypHDW.
- Set XS2 to Off.
- Set XP1 to #16 and BegOff.

Now the pedal sweep is attached to CC 16, which is the same CC as External 1 on the Axe-Fx.
And the switch on the pedal is attached to CC97, which is the CC for Wah on/off on the Axe-Fx.

Now on the Axe-Fx:
- Insert a Wah block.
- Go to the Control parameter and press Enter for the Modifier emnu.
- In the modifier set Source to External 1. Set Damping to 10 ms or so. Set Auto Engage to Off.
- Save the preset.

No need to configure anything else for On/Off, because the switch on the pedal is controlling the On/Off CC directly, without an external inbetween.

That's it.

Last edited:
Ah Thanks Yek.. Its getting there. I have probably done this 10 times now. I am getting the opposite effect now. My preset's wah block is off but switching form the SP1 doesn't turn it on. While if I turn on the Wah block from Axe FX, wah effect works as a charm and switching from SP1 (LED ON) turns it off. Is that supposed to behave like that?

Number of possible causes.

- Check on the MFC in Edit > MIDI that XS1 is using 000 for Off, and 127 for On.
- Verify that the preset is saved with the Wah block bypassed (off).

Confirmed both are okay. Heres one thing thats happening..

When I save the preset with the wah bypassed, it first works okay. (no wah). Then I press my SP1 switch, no change. Switch it off again, the wah comes into effect.

Last edited:
I am wondering if mission connected the circuit oppositely or something.. They shouldn't be doing that mistake I guess.

When it takes 2 presses to turn the wah on, what was the last state you put it in using the switch? If it was switched on and you bypassed via front panel then used the switch (without reloading the MFC preset) the first press wouldn't do anything.

You could correct the LED/block state mismatch by changing the switch off/on values from 0/127 to 127/0. Or--just an idea that's easy to try--you could see if there's any difference between having the switch/LED on vs. off when you power on the MFC.

Back
Top Bottom