Configure for both FRFR and House PA

trueresource

Inspired
After and awesome praise and worship Church service I approached the sound crew and asked "How is my stage volume?". They replied "your all good on stage but what we get out here in the audience sounds thin". I was shocked! Currently I have my patches routed to output1 (headphone), output2 (FRFR), output3 (House). See attached patch example. The house gets the same feed as my frfr stereo speakers. I checked out a few you tube videos about this type of configuration today but did not see anything I am doing wrong with my configuration. I'm hoping someone can view my attached preset and offer suggestions .

Attachments

• SUSTAIN.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 16
Something is very wrong? The scenes that do work at all, don't match their descriptions?

Are you using 'Global' blocks?

I don't use the scenes. I keep it on scene one. I really just need support on how to configure output3 to not sound thin in the house. Thanks

I don't use the scenes. I keep it on scene one. I really just need support on how to configure output3 to not sound thin in the house. Thanks
Okay, The scenes were all named, so that through me off?

With the way the preset is setup, Output 3 should sound identical to the others, except possibly quieter, depending on your 'Global' settings?

IMHO, Scene 1 is very thin sounding in all outputs? The Drive EQ is cutting a lot of low end?

Are you adding any EQ anywhere on your (Out 2) FRFR setup that's not applied to the FOH?

The Amp block Output EQ is set very strange? Have you played with any 'Advanced' parameters in the Amp block, as they seem like defaults from older firmware versions?

Last edited:
Greetings Trueresoursce,
Keep us posted how you are able to correct your situation.
Thank you to everyone. I keep my equipment at church so it will be a couple days before I can try your suggestions. However one of the suggestions above sound very promising. I use the HeadRush powered cabs and they tend to be on the low bassy end sound wise. Using them as reference I most likely have thinned my sound to the house. I will work with a suggestion above to flatten out the eq to the house, and throw and eq before my stage frfr to restore whats needed for stage.

After and awesome praise and worship Church service I approached the sound crew and asked "How is my stage volume?". They replied "your all good on stage but what we get out here in the audience sounds thin". I was shocked! Currently I have my patches routed to output1 (headphone), output2 (FRFR), output3 (House). See attached patch example. The house gets the same feed as my frfr stereo speakers. I checked out a few you tube videos about this type of configuration today but did not see anything I am doing wrong with my configuration. I'm hoping someone can view my attached preset and offer suggestions .

I tried your patch over my usual FRFR equipment and - sorry to say that - it DOES sound very thin and most shrill to me, too.

The reasons are obvious IMO:
1.) In the drive block you heavily cut the lows.
2.) In the amp block => output eq you cut the lows entirely, cut mids heavily and raise the highs at 7 KHz extremely

These settings - particularly when used both together - MUST lead to a thin and shrill sound.
These setting necessesarily lead to a very low output level, too. You tried to compensate this partially by cranking the level of output 3 close to the max.

So far, that part of your problem seems consequently and clear to me.

NOT so clear to me is that your sound on stage seems to be somewhat distictly more pleasant than the sound in the PA.
This is the fact that seems strange and, perhaps, faulty.

That leads to the conclusion that something or some setting in the monitor mixer or whatsoever in the signal chain of the stage sound compensates the genuine shrill sound of your AXE patch to a more pleasantly sounding stage sound.

The remedy seems simple:

1.) set all EQs flat at first
2.) start dialing in your sound again to the needs of a good PA sound. No need to mention: that's the important sound.
3.) set level of output 3 to a reasonable amount.
4.) now verify - and correct - the unknown influencings in your stage sound

First let me state how awesome this community is. You folks came through tremendously on a solution to this. You were correct in that I had configured sound to my FRFR HeadRush speakers which are a little bassy and lack highs. I use 5 patches, all originated from "Austin Johnson's Strat -AB.syx".

With your advice I flattened the EQ and ran a separate EQ to the Speakers. Needless to say the band noticed the difference with many compliments. Ill export the finished preset soon to get your opinions. I didnt get a chance to ask the sound man his opinion, but will do so as soon as possible. Thanks again.

First let me state how awesome this community is. You folks came through tremendously on a solution to this. You were correct in that I had configured sound to my FRFR HeadRush speakers which are a little bassy and lack highs. I use 5 patches, all originated from "Austin Johnson's Strat -AB.syx".

With your advice I flattened the EQ and ran a separate EQ to the Speakers. Needless to say the band noticed the difference with many compliments. Ill export the finished preset soon to get your opinions. I didnt get a chance to ask the sound man his opinion, but will do so as soon as possible. Thanks again.

I have the Headrush FRFR-108 and while it is small it does indeed pump out the bass...I have never noticed that the highs were not pumped out in equal fashion ...if anything it is just the mids that need some push ...but I have never had to use extreme EQ curves for a pleasing stage sound.
One other idea is to put the FRFR up on a mini stand or anything that will get it off the floor a couple feet or more so there is no bass boost from coupling with the floor (even worse coupling if you put it on the floor and near a wall.

I suggest getting the tone you want to hear out of your FRFR cabs. Then add PEQ blocks right before each out, For FOH, because HF drivers can really make things sound harsh and thin, start by cutting everything above 8k and experiment from there. Because of subs, I always cut LF starting at 80hz, to get rid of any guitar boom coming out of the subs.

I experienced some very unpleasant sounds coming out to the house speakers. My guitar sounded like a Citar (One of those old indian string instruments). I know I had a really good presets cause I got them from Worship tutorials. I asked the Church Sound team to please not mess with my sound (Do not add EQ, do not add compression). I advised them that I had paid money for the sound I was trying to output and had bought a very expensive piece of equipment (Ax8) in order to get the perfect sound; so please don't mess with it. Guess what, It worked. Every Sunday they record the worship service and I get the sound that the people are hearing all the way at the back of the Church and it sounds exactly as it's supposed to sound. Also I don't mess with the pre-bought preset sounds. I'm not that good yet.

This may sound dumb, but your EQ curve looks like the opposite of the Contour EQ built into the speaker. Is it possible you are running the speaker with that switch engaged? You wouldn't need to correct as much if you weren't scooping the mids.

Edit: Oops, didn't realize this was a thread resurrection. Point still stands...

Back
Top Bottom