Concerns about LCD Display

walrusaur

Hi all,

Going from an ultra back to an Axe-FX 2! Bought a Mark 2 from ebay this week (it was listed as only been used for 12 hours in a studio + plastic still on display). Loving it so far, but I have a couple of concerns.

I'm finding the screen of the 2 is not clear! The ultra is much much clearer. Not what I remember when I had the 2 awhile ago...

Comparing the ultra and the 2, the 2 definitely has a brighter back light, but the pixels on the 2 are not black at all..more like a grey.

Just to clarify, I am not nit-picking here. It is especially noticeable when viewing off-angle (this is how I normally record as I sit in front of the computer and the AxeFX is on the side). Here's a quick photo to try show you what I mean. (Contrast is set to middle on both units) I included the white piece of paper so that my iphone would adjust exposure according to it. As you can see, the font on the ultra is much clearer, whereas the font on the 2 looks like it's fading. In fact, I can't make out the text at all at the moment as I'm sitting in front of the computer.

photo.jpg

I've played with the contrast on the 2 but that doesn't make the pixels any darker - the background becomes a murky shade of grey. I've already opened the lid and replugged the lcd cable but that hasn't made any changes.

What are your thoughts on this? Would Axe-Fx 2 owners be able to share their thoughts about the display? (Whether the pixels should be grey or black, and viewing angles) Cheers all!

Last edited:
There's been a couple of things similar to what I think I see in the picture; dimming of the LCD.
My Axe-Fx II's display would dim intermittently to a point where the pixels were all but unreadable - much worse than yours in the picture.
Find some threads discussing this stuff by using the search function.

The suggested fix usually was to change the LCD cable but that wouldn't help in my case so I had the whole unit replaced by G66.eu.
Since then I've had no problem with it and that was years ago.

I don't remember exactly what the issue was on the first Axe 2 unit I had but I do remember it would fade-out and then snap back. I spoke with FAS who then sent me a new plug-and-play wiring harness that corrected the issue. This was an early Axe 2.

Edit: same issue as poster #2

Thanks for the responses. I found most issues on the forum were about a flickering display, however mine is a static faint display. Will keep searching..

I've been in touch with Fractal Audio support and they've referred me to the Australian distributor. Hopefully things will go OK!

@Rotti The plastic IS off. That's the first thing I do when i buy electrical devices haha. Cheers.

Thanks for the responses. I found most issues on the forum were about a flickering display, however mine is a static faint display. Will keep searching..

I've been in touch with Fractal Audio support and they've referred me to the Australian distributor. Hopefully things will go OK!

@Rotti The plastic IS off. That's the first thing I do when i buy electrical devices haha. Cheers.

Then put the plastic back on.

did you open up the unit and check that all of the ribbon connectors are seated properly? Seems to be the first thing to check when you have random issues in the AF2.

I had originally hoped it was just the cable as this seemed to solve the issue I was having with the ultra awhile ago. I replugged the ribbon connectors on the 2 but that hasn't had any noticeable effect. I also tried swapping the ends of the ribbon cable and that didn't change anything either.

Have been in touch with the Australia distributor. Just waiting to hear back from their tech guys now.

Back
Top Bottom