Computer shuts off ethernet when slept

Dave Merrill

Axe-Master
I've been using wired ethernet lately on my laptop, because I'm moving my music world to it, so I'm downloading a crapton of stuff, want connections to be as fast as possible.
When I'm away from the computer I often put it to sleep, and when I come back it can't connect to the internet, annoying.
In Device Manager's Properties for the ethernet controller, I've unchecked "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power", no difference, still happens.
This is Windows 10 Pro.

What am I missing here?

Last edited:
what does it do when you wake it up? is the ethernet connection disabled? as if you right-clicked > disable ?

If I do nothing but wait a while and reload the page, it's fine.
Dunno how long, but longer than I'd expect.
If the OS is awake, and the adapter is awake, what's still asleep?

Try:

1. going to device manager and uninstall the network adapter. if it asks to delete drivers delete them too. then reboot.

if it doesnt get fixed try:

2.Control Panel > Power options > change plan settings > change advanced power settings > network connectivity in standby and change it to "enable"
(if network connectivity in standby isnt there go to regedit, to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\F15576E8-98B7-4186-B944-EAFA664402D9

double click attributes and change to "2" . reboot and go back to control panel it will be there)
(always export a backup from regedit before changing anything)

Last edited:
Try:

1. going to device manager and uninstall the network adapter. if it asks to delete drivers delete them too. then reboot.

if it doesnt get fixed try:

2.Control Panel > Power options > change plan settings > change advanced power settings > network connectivity in standby and change it to "enable"
(if network connectivity in standby isnt there go to regedit, to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\F15576E8-98B7-4186-B944-EAFA664402D9

double click attributes and change to "2" . reboot and go back to control panel it will be there)
(always export a backup from regedit before changing anything)
Thanks @ConstantM.
I don't see network connectivity in standby, so I'll have to do the RegEdit thing.
Don't want to reboot now though, because it's downloading and installing NI Komplete at the moment, so that'll have to wait a bit.

Ah, downloading NI Komplete, so reboot is in a few weeks 😂
Yeah, semed to be going quickly at first, then just bogged down and stayed down, even after restarting Native Access.

Tested my Internet, it's like 880 Mbps down, but Task Manger says the download is 60-140, pitiful. Speedtest gets almost 800 even while the download is running. I wish Native Access would report speed, but it doesn't, probably because it's embarrassing.

Also, 4 components so far have reported "Installation failed: Invalid location", which makes no sense when everything else works. Does everyone get this error? Doesn't say what path it tried, or how to fix it, beyond retry, which, shocker, give the same error.

I filed a ticket, we'll see what happens.

Yeah, semed to be going quickly at first, then just bogged down and stayed down, even after restarting Native Access.

Tested my Internet, it's like 880 Mbps down, but Task Manger says the download is 60-140, pitiful. Speedtest gets almost 800 even while the download is running. I wish Native Access would report speed, but it doesn't, probably because it's embarrassing.

Also, 4 components so far have reported "Installation failed: Invalid location", which makes no sense when everything else works. Does everyone get this error? Doesn't say what path it tried, or how to fix it, beyond retry, which, shocker, give the same error.

It's doing better, so far, after restarting the whole computer. Up and down, ballpark of 400-500, sometimes.

I don't trust speedtests, trust task manager more, and it says the NI downloader is way slower. Annoying.

We'll see.

Last edited:
It's doing better, so far, after restarting the whole computer. Up and down, ballpark of 400-500, sometimes.

I don't trust speedtests, trust task manager more, and it says the NI downloader is way slower. Annoying.

We'll see.
Abysmally slow my god. If you come by the house and see my bleached bones sitting at the computer, call NI and have them picked up.

Not long ago I had the same problem (that the computer doesn't connect to the internet after wake up) and my son, who is a computer geek, told me to switch off DHCP in the settings of the ethernet connector and set a fixed IP address. I have no clue why, but it worked. Maybe it works for you too?

At the same time these downloads are crawling along, speedtest still gets nearly 800 mbps. Not I'm not doing that most of w time in fact I've restarted the computer only started Native Access, nothing else is running. Bleh.

Not long ago I had the same problem and my son, who is a computer geek, told me to switch off DHCP in the settings of the ethernet connector and set a fixed IP address. I have no clue why, but it worked. Maybe it works for you too?
DHCP should only be involved when connections are initially be made. Shouldn't matter for a long task like this.

I'm sure NI uses an edge server, just like Spectrasonics and many others do. That improves performance, but it's conceivable if there's a problem at the edge server you could get poor download performance.

I'm sure NI uses an edge server, just like Spectrasonics and many others do. That improves performance, but it's conceivable if there's a problem at the edge server you could get poor download performance.
Sure, or any other problem on their side. Just frustrating that I can't do anything about it. As I've said, my network speed is reasonable in general, it's just this download that's not.

Last edited:
The thing is NI has Christmas and Holyday weeks until 7. January so the traffic is massive I think. I‘ve downloaded East West Holywood Opus Orchestra last week - brr - a little over 48 hours for about 950 GB.

Also check to see if there are power saving/switching options on the switch/router ethernet ports that you're plugged into.

I've seen where the switch ethernet ports had power saving switched "on" (and/or set to "auto" IIRC) and that overrode/confused the client PC/device (which had power saving disabled on it's ethernet port) causing the networking to take some time to resume after waking back up due to re-negotiating timeouts/issues. Both the client and switch ethernet ports need to agree on the settings, and even then it's not guaranteed IME.

Those negotiation processes can be dodgy and outright incompatible, even though they follow "the standards", and particularly with different hardware vendors, software drivers, OS, etc.

And I've also seen situations that hardcoding an IP address can help, as a flapping network connection (which you'll get sleeping and waking in cycles) can eventually drive a poorly implemented server DCHP process to "go a little nuts". Not all DHCP implementations are as robust as they could be.

You can play with leases and timeouts, etc., but hardcoding a static IP negates any potential issues with the DHCP server when testing connectivity issues. I always hardcode my home wired connections that I use daily, both for eliminating a DHCP server and for ease of configuring firewall rules/filtering/security.

Last edited:
Well, I had dinner and did some other stuff, came back and everything has finished except some items with problems. Big change from it taking an interminable amount of time for one instrument. Maybe they realized things were screwy and replangerated the narbswangle on the server side. But yay!

All that's left are the four items it says have invalid paths that I filed a ticket about, and three others that are third party Kontact libraries that apparently it knows about from my account, but it doesn't have the files. Guess I have to get those from their creators.

All told, semi-painless install of 141 instruments and effects, kinda cool. Last time I did this it was CDs or DVDs, don't remember, but definitely worse.

Back
Top Bottom