Compressor settings for an acoustic

ChrisCG

Experienced
Hey Guys,

I need some advice I don't use my Ovation live very often but I'm going to need to do exactly that in a couple weeks. Im looking for a decent compressor setting to keep my arpeggios and strums pretty even if possible. Any advice?

Thanks

Studio compression block, flavor the ratio as it fits your play style probably. Its become my go to for mild compression.

Studio compressor for sure. 2:1 - 4:1, attack at maybe 20ms (10-40 is usually enough to let the attack through and not smear the notes), release to taste depending on how much expression you want.

It's too bad that you can't use the preamp simulation in the Cab block by itself in it's own dedicated block because that's what I'd recommend. Tape saturation sounds good on acoustic guitars and I think it's a little more smoother than a compressor. It wouldn't hurt to add some subtle compression on top of tape saturation, too.

But since you ask about compression, I would recommend the studio compressor. Just try to stay away from any pumping effect. Low ratio, slower release and attack times are what you should aim for. It all depends on if your acoustic guitar will be the star of the show or is more of a tonal element in a crowed mix, too.

I always use manual mode for acoustic. Turn off automatic attack and release and automatic makeup gain.

First I would decide how much compression you need based on your playing style. Dial in the ratio accordingly. Adjust the threshold while watching the gain reduction meter on the front panel. Get the volume to even out like you want. As you dial in more gain reduction, use the block level parameter to compensate.

Next, adjust the attack and release times. These can affect your tone so it really is to taste. I like a slower attack to let the acoustic pick attack come through. 20-40ms range. I go even "slower" (bigger value) on the attack for fingerstyle. I like to set the release so that the gain reduction meter is more or less moving to the beat of the track. If it's a general setting for a live show, I set the release fairly "slow" (bigger values). 100ms or more.

You might also experiment w/ mixing or blending back in a little of the dry depending on how you end up setting things..

Interesting that no one uses multicomp on acoustic guitar (nor have I ever tried it - always use studio comp with my Taylor). Will have to give that a go this weekend just to see...

Create a 'flat' IR, then use it as a cab.
If you want tape saturation, I don't see why you wouldn't just use the Drive block set to tape... It really is good for just warming things up a bit, too. the way i often use it is too turn the input down on the drive block quite a bit, to between 1-3, and then turn the drive way up, like between 7 and 9. You could just as easily use the FET boost, or FET pre-amp, all 3 of these will stay pretty clean, just play with the ratio of input/drive until you find something you like. The other nice thing with having the drive early in the chain is that you get a hi/lo-pass as well, so you can experiment with it before/after a compressor to get slightly different colors based on what frequencies are getting into the compressor. All very subtle stuff, but with an instrument like an acoustic guitar where you really want the sound of the instrument to shine without too much effects, those slight changes in dynamics really make a big difference IMHO.

EDIT: Forgot to ask, does anyone know, IS there any difference in the tape or other saturation models in the cab block that we couldn't achieve in the drive block?

If you want tape saturation, I don't see why you wouldn't just use the Drive block set to tape.
I've never considered it. Honestly, I'm not sure if it's the same thing or algorithm. However, it wouldn't hurt to try it out.

All the suggested settings here feature quite long attack times of 20 ms or more. That is great, if you want to have a beautifully sustaining sound, but the downside is that it lets all transients through. If you have any variation in your strumming or your picked/plucked arpeggios, it will not be affected by the compressor.

If you are using the acoustic in a full band setting, I would definitely experiement with slamming the transients with the compressor - especially for strumming. I would start with an attack setting of around 2 ms, and then if you feel like, you loose the pick attack/strum completely, then increase the attack time to allow a little more transient through (or blend in a little uncompressed signal). I would probably go for a ratio of 4 and then set the threshold such that you get around 6 dB gain reduction when strumming. The release time should probably be 100-200 ms.

I don't think anyone mentioned using the "Tube Pre" in the amp block. I use that a lot with my acoustic. It adds a little saturation and niceness.

If you are using the acoustic in a full band setting, I would definitely experiement with slamming the transients with the compressor - especially for strumming.
I disagree. Even in a full band mix, do not set the attack too fast. That percussive component is essential in order to serve the mix. Also, a slow release is crucial for it to sound natural. If you use that guideline, you can still clamp down on the threshold and still have a natural sounding acoustic guitar under control.

Back
Top Bottom