Compressor Dynamics type.

oldstar1975

Inspired
Hi to everyone! Just tried the Dynamic compressor, with positive values of Dynamic parameter. It expands the signal and it sounds pretty good with my default chrunch, but I can't understand how it works. It definitely rising the output signal, and then I reducing Master of the comp block, the effect becomes even noticeable, even with the really high settings of Dynamic knob, but it still present. My question is - how to replicate this type of compressor using standard Studio Compressor, is it possible? And I want to ask some advices - how to use Dynamic Comp right way!

I used to always use the dynamic compressor but now I've gravitated towards the studio cuz it's gives me the punch I like with a nice roundness. This machine is beast for sure. One thing when i used the dynamic compressor I always set the mix at 50 ℅.....try it... seems to let the high end pass through nice

I used to always use the dynamic compressor but now I've gravitated towards the studio cuz it's gives me the punch I like with a nice roundness. This machine is beast for sure. One thing when i used the dynamic compressor I always set the mix at 50 ℅.....try it... seems to let the high end pass through nice
which settings you usually had in the dynamic comp?

which settings you usually had in the dynamic comp?

I generally use my ears and I recommend that to you. But I will tell you for Distorted sounds I usually gravitate to these setting

Dynamics at around 1.40 to 2.0
Attack around 1.200 ms to 1.400
Release time 80. ms to 100.0
filter left on 10.00 hz
look ahead left on 0.000
Mix on 50%

Mix them by ear whatever sounds good to your ears... These compressors are a small part of this universe we call the AxeFX:D

I generally use my ears and I recommend that to you. But I will tell you for Distorted sounds I usually gravitate to these setting

Dynamics at around 1.40 to 2.0
Attack around 1.200 ms to 1.400
Release time 80. ms to 100.0
filter left on 10.00 hz
look ahead left on 0.000
Mix on 50%

Mix them by ear whatever sounds good to your ears... These compressors are a small part of this universe we call the AxeFX:D

With an attack time that fast, you're stripping the signal of any pick attack and transient it had left after being distorted, even on 50% mix. That's gonna be a big part of why your high end isn't coming through as well. If you want to compress everything but not destroy the pick attack, try something closer to like 20ms. Anywhere between 10-25ms depending on your picking style.

With an attack time that fast, you're stripping the signal of any pick attack and transient it had left after being distorted, even on 50% mix. That's gonna be a big part of why your high end isn't coming through as well. If you want to compress everything but not destroy the pick attack, try something closer to like 20ms. Anywhere between 10-25ms depending on your picking style.

Oh so your gonna tell me how to set my attack time for my playing style ? Attack is so dependent on release, threshold,ratio. Also if you would have read my post properly
You would see I recommend setting the mix at 50% which lets dry signal through in this case. He was asking so I offered.. A compressor is used to control your dynamics 20ms is useless in my opinion and I only comment because you did first other wise I wouldn't have..

Last edited:
Whoa there, cowboy. Just trying to help.

If you're having trouble preserving the high end when using a compressor (like you mentioned), letting the attack of the note through is a big part of that. Killing the pick attack can lead to a tone that sounds and feels darker and subdued. I did read your post, which is why I mentioned "even on 50% mix". The reason being that even at half mix, you're still losing more of that pick attack, because you're blending in additional signal that doesn't have pick attack, whereas if you set the compressor at 100% with a slower attack time, you'll let in all of that pick attack, helping to fix the high end issue, and resulting in more pick attack than the settings you listed blended in at 50%. Regarding the other parameters, they're typically more dependent on the attack parameter than the other way around, especially your release time. Playing style is unique to each person, but no matter what your playing style, your pick attack isn't going to be less than 1.4ms.

You presented a problem, I provided you with information that might fix that problem. You're welcome to disregard it. We all just want to get the most out of our unit and get "that tone"! :)

ok... lol Your trying to put a formula on something that has so many variables dependent on so many things... These were the settings I used
for the dynamic compressor for my tone and playing style.. I don't need a lesson on compressors.... I didn't presented a problem, for you to provided me with information that might fix that problem?? Its not my thread. Oldstar1975 asked a question I gave the answer. I actually
told him to use his ears for best result. so not sure what the problem is

It's not applying a formula, it's stating proven fact based on how both the instrument works, and how the technology was designed to work. I don't see how recommending a slower attack time is somehow formulaic. But hey, if you'd rather chastise me for providing information that might help someone instead of actually trying it for yourself or looking up some information on the topic, that's your call. Just trying to help. I'll be sure to keep information to myself next time, as to not offend anyone... ;)

Last edited:
... I'll be sure to keep information to myself next time, as to not offend anyone... ;)

Please don't; most of us enjoy being presented with information to think about. Personally I've never been happy with how the compressors sound, and it's probably user error. So, I will keep this info in my head and try it the next time I get a chance.

All the comments made here on how to use a compressor have merit; there isn't just one way to use compression.

Please respect the views of others on the topic, and please do not feel like you cannot share your opinions. Thanks.

Well I respect peoples comments but .. your not gonna tell me my compressor setting are wrong for my tone and playing style sorry.. If you use your ears and it sounds good to you it works... that's like a mastering engineer telling u what settings to use on your mastering compressor without hearing your mix. Lmao

Well, I'd sure take the engineer's advice into account, and definitely try it out.

If someone suggests something you would rather not hear, just ignore it... It's still handy to have the information and opinions on here for later onlookers.

:confused:

Don't understand your high-five of the prior comment. No one is attacking you, or impuned your character in this thread. The guy you think is attacking you was just stating the designed function of a compressor and how to deal with loss of "high end" which you introduced as an issue - which you solve for yourself by diluting the mix of the effect to remove the undesired behavior; that's one way, a legitimate method for sure but not the standard compressor design of the utility of the attack time parameter; nothing about you, your tastes or use of the tool.

It's a well known fact that compressor attack under 10 milliseconds will easily clip your pick attack - this isn't an opinion, it's a design feature of compressors.

Yes, you can reduce the effect by reducing the "mix" of any effect.

But it's well known that short attack of a compressor (under 30-10 ms) aka 1.2-1.4ms will "smooth"/kill/mute the transient dynamics just as it's designed to do. Many folks (including myself when warranted) will run the attack time at ~20-33 ms to let the transient pass through before the compressor kicks on. YMMV

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom