Complete Newbie questions

RickTN

Inspired
OK... I am using MFC-101 Mark 2 but not an Axe-FX unit. I am using midi switching with (2)Voodoo Lab HEX units in my rack. I have actual pedals in my rack running into the HEX units. HEX units are connected by midi cable to MFC. I figured out how to set the IA switches to the individual HEX midi channels. IA switches are set just fine. Completely lost on how to set the bottom 5 switches on the MFC for different presets.

This is my first dance with midi and feel good that I have gotten this far on my own. Just stumped on the preset setup.

Help?

You'll want to set them to send a Program Change (aka, PC) associated with the program (aka, preset) number of the midi device you are controlling.

The IAs you setup are sending Control Change (or CC) values. Presets use PC values.

Hope that helps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you use the revel button to turn preset mode/ ia mode/ looper mode(if selected) from one to the other. in the setup menu you will have to set how many switches you want to become preset buttons( 1-17 )you will select 5 if this is what you want. there are some other adjustable settings in the set up menu regarding presets but I am not at my mfc and can't remember what they are(sorry).

you use the revel button to turn preset mode/ ia mode/ looper mode(if selected) from one to the other. in the setup menu you will have to set how many switches you want to become preset buttons( 1-17 )you will select 5 if this is what you want. there are some other adjustable settings in the set up menu regarding presets but I am not at my mfc and can't remember what they are(sorry).

Yes, I've got most of that worked out. I have the MFC set to 5 presets and the rest are IA switches for individual control of pedals in the rack. I have all the IA switches set. They work fine when I step on them they turn on/off the pedals as they are designed. It's just setting the the 5 preset switches that I can't seem to comprehend. Like when I step on switch #1 I want it to be a clean sound with Compressor (IA Sw #5) and Reverb (IA Sw #12) only. Switch #2 I want it to turn on the Compressor (IA Sw #1), the Fulltone OCD (IA Sw #8 ), and the Reverb (IA Sw #12)....and so on. Cna't figure out the setting when I go to that PRESET menu.

Yes, I've got most of that worked out. I have the MFC set to 5 presets and the rest are IA switches for individual control of pedals in the rack. I have all the IA switches set. They work fine when I step on them they turn on/off the pedals as they are designed. It's just setting the the 5 preset switches that I can't seem to comprehend. Like when I step on switch #1 I want it to be a clean sound with Compressor (IA Sw #5) and Reverb (IA Sw #12) only. Switch #2 I want it to turn on the Compressor (IA Sw #1), the Fulltone OCD (IA Sw #8 ), and the Reverb (IA Sw #12)....and so on. Cna't figure out the setting when I go to that PRESET menu.

Ok... Does the HEX have the concept of presets or patches? If not, this won't be such a simple process.

You would have to set the MFC to set the specific IA states as on or off as required for each preset button.

I've only used the MFC with the Axe Fx, so i can't offer much help with the details... But MFC-Edit should make it pretty easy.

I've previously done what you are talking about with the GCX and Ground Control (original and Pro).

MFC-Edit is well worth the money!

Ok... Does the HEX have the concept of presets or patches? If not, this won't be such a simple process.

You would have to set the MFC to set the specific IA states as on or off as required for each preset button.

I've only used the MFC with the Axe Fx, so i can't offer much help with the details... But MFC-Edit should make it pretty easy.

I've previously done what you are talking about with the GCX and Ground Control (original and Pro).

MFC-Edit is well worth the money!

I bought the Midi/USB interface you suggested on Ebay. Once I have that I'll buy MFC-Edit. The HEX doesn't have ability to set patches (like a Looper patch would have). It only routes each individual pedal to it's own midi control#. That was fairly simple setting the IA switches on the MFC to recognize the individual channels from the (2) HEX's for all my pedals. So each PRESET on the MFC has to individually programmed for which pedals I want on when I step on it. ALL the YouTube videos only deal with setting the MFC with an AXE FX. Nothing when using it with other MIDI devises such as the HEX. Using it this way, with the HEX) individual pedals are only in the active loop when they are clicked ON with the preset. I'm sure it's something simple but I've read and tried many combinations and can't seem to get this set up. SO I'm PART of the way there in that I have got the MFC programmed to activate the individual pedals in my rack. Just can't set up the PRESET loops.

I just checked the manual for the HEX. It does have the ability to store presets.

Page 6 of the manual seems to tell you what you need.

Have you enabled accepting of both CC and PC midi messages? See my original reply about what CC and PC are for.

I just checked the manual for the HEX. It does have the ability to store presets.

Page 6 of the manual seems to tell you what you need.

Have you enabled accepting of both CC and PC midi messages? See my original reply about what CC and PC are for.

yes...I have the HEX set to accept both PC and CC changes. It recognizes the IA commands from the MFC. It looks to me like when I go to program each PRESET switch on the MFC I could program in the individual IA switches I want on for that preset. But maybe I'm thinking on this incorrectly.

I appreciate your help....

I bought the Midi/USB interface you suggested on Ebay. Once I have that I'll buy MFC-Edit. The HEX doesn't have ability to set patches (like a Looper patch would have). It only routes each individual pedal to it's own midi control#. That was fairly simple setting the IA switches on the MFC to recognize the individual channels from the (2) HEX's for all my pedals. So each PRESET on the MFC has to individually programmed for which pedals I want on when I step on it. ALL the YouTube videos only deal with setting the MFC with an AXE FX. Nothing when using it with other MIDI devises such as the HEX. Using it this way, with the HEX) individual pedals are only in the active loop when they are clicked ON with the preset. I'm sure it's something simple but I've read and tried many combinations and can't seem to get this set up. SO I'm PART of the way there in that I have got the MFC programmed to activate the individual pedals in my rack. Just can't set up the PRESET loops.

Actually, according to the manual, it DOES support presets. See page 6 of the manual for "Saving and Recalling Presets"...

That should make life easier... Although you can also use the MFC to do it. It will be a bit more complicated because you have 2 HEX units, so you'll need to set them to cooperate.

Out of curiosity, why did you choose the MFC? Seems an odd choice if you don't have an Axe Fx [emoji2]

Actually, according to the manual, it DOES support presets. See page 6 of the manual for "Saving and Recalling Presets"...

That should make life easier... Although you can also use the MFC to do it. It will be a bit more complicated because you have 2 HEX units, so you'll need to set them to cooperate.

Out of curiosity, why did you choose the MFC? Seems an odd choice if you don't have an Axe Fx [emoji2]

From reading about fairly top of the line MIDI controllers the MFC had top ratings. Eventually I'll probably just buy an AXE FX unit too. But I want to make these individual pedals work this way. Sort of a challenge. I have 3 Strymon units (Time Machine, Mobius, and Blue Sky) and then a Compressor, Fulltone OCD OD, Wampler Tumnus OD, Wampler Plexi Drive, and Wampler Pinnicle Distortion. All those are set to different degrees of OD and distortion. Just a challenge for now. A hobby tinkering with this stuff and making it work.

Last edited:
From reading about fairly top of the line MIDI controllers the MFC had top ratings. Eventually I'll probably just buy a an AXE FX unit too. But I want to make these individual pedals work this way. Sort of a challenge. I have 3 Strymon units (Time Machine, Mobius, and Blue Sky) and then a Compressor, Fulltone OCD OD, Wampler Tumnus OD, Waampler Plexi Drive, and Wampler Pinnicle Distortion. All those are set to different degrees of OD and distortion. Just a challenge for now. A hobby tinkering with this stuff and making it work.

Fair enough. It's actually a pretty solid controller. And it gets firmware updates at a decent rate, unlike the Ground Control stuff...

I also used an FCB-1010 with an UNO chip, as well as the Gordius LGX-2, which is a fantastic and incredibly flexible/programmable controller. The only reason I switched to the MFC is for the integration with the Axe Fx.

And I totally get where you are coming from. I had a rack full of pedals, plus a Gmajor2, controlled thru loops in the GCX. Also custom racked my Budda SuperDrive amp into the rack, too. Very nice rig!

But i needed 2 people to get the thing into my car [emoji22]

The Axe Fx is a brilliant piece of gear. I've sold off almost all of my 2 (mostly duplicate) rack rigs and have not looked back in two years. So much power and flexibility, and sounds and (even better) feels like playing a good tube amp (actually, 200+ amps) [emoji2]

Fair enough. It's actually a pretty solid controller. And it gets firmware updates at a decent rate, unlike the Ground Control stuff...

I also used an FCB-1010 with an UNO chip, as well as the Gordius LGX-2, which is a fantastic and incredibly flexible/programmable controller. The only reason I switched to the MFC is for the integration with the Axe Fx.

And I totally get where you are coming from. I had a rack full of pedals, plus a Gmajor2, controlled thru loops in the GCX. Also custom racked my Budda SuperDrive amp into the rack, too. Very nice rig!

But i needed 2 people to get the thing into my car [emoji22]

The Axe Fx is a brilliant piece of gear. I've sold off almost all of my 2 (mostly duplicate) rack rigs and have not looked back in two years. So much power and flexibility, and sounds and (even better) feels like playing a good tube amp (actually, 200+ amps) [emoji2]

I'm OLD (58 ). I have always tinkered with guitars and amps and making sounds. Not a very good player, but I enjoy buying and tinkering. I've probably bought and sold 15 guitars in the past 2 years alone....PRS Custom...Les Paul Deluxe....several Strats...several Ibanez's.....etc. I now have a 20 space rack sitting here with a Marshall Valvestate 80 watts per ch stereo power amp and an Engl 2 channel preamp. and then 2 rack drawers of pedals. that all runs into (2) Mesa 1x12 cabinets (but mostly use headphones from the preamp so my wife won't kill me). Before all these pedals I had a Line 6 POD Rack unit and the foot controller. That worked great really and you can make changes from the computer interface. But it just plugged in and worked...no challenge....LOL. SO I sold it and started buying pedals. After buying probably 30 pedals I have settled on these 8 or so to use with this setup. Pedals are powered by a Voodoo Lab power supply and a MXR power supply. Custom wired it all with George L wiring and plugs. Now I just have to get it to all work.........just a hobby

I just read the HEX manual on the PRESETS. THAT seems like it may be a simpler solution and I'll see if I can make that work. But it looks like I should be able to do it the way I wanted to do it from the MFC too. Maybe MFC Edit program will make it simpler once I can hook that up.

I'm OLD (58 ). I have always tinkered with guitars and amps and making sounds. Not a very good player, but I enjoy buying and tinkering. I've probably bought and sold 15 guitars in the past 2 years alone....PRS Custom...Les Paul Deluxe....several Strats...several Ibanez's.....etc. I now have a 20 space rack sitting here with a Marshall Valvestate 80 watts per ch stereo power amp and an Engl 2 channel preamp. and then 2 rack drawers of pedals. that all runs into (2) Mesa 1x12 cabinets (but mostly use headphones from the preamp so my wife won't kill me). Before all these pedals I had a Line 6 POD Rack unit and the foot controller. That worked great really and you can make changes from the computer interface. But it just plugged in and worked...no challenge....LOL. SO I sold it and started buying pedals. After buying probably 30 pedals I have settled on these 8 or so to use with this setup. Pedals are powered by a Voodoo Lab power supply and a MXR power supply. Custom wired it all with George L wiring and plugs. Now I just have to get it to all work.........just a hobby

I should have bought stock in George Ls! With two full GCXs I had a LOT of connectors and cables when i broke that thing down! Two cables for each pedal plus a cable in between each loop [emoji2]

Back
Top Bottom