Wish Complete manual

Shunt

Are there any infos on when the AX8 manual will be completed? Last official update I see was over a year ago on Dec 19th 2016.
For now I mostly just use two manuals at the same time - AX8 manual for the stuff that is in there the Axe FX II manual for the stuff that is missing (blocks guide). That's a bit of a pain on the PC, but unnervingly unpractical on a cellphone when I'm in the rehearsal room.
Considering that the AX8 is really no cheap plug-and-play-device and demands extensive manual reading (and re-reading), I'm quite surprised that there still seems to be no comprehensive official manual online. Or am I missing something?

I think there are three main factors at play here..

1) guitarist, as a whole, probably aren't big manual readers. Generalizing I know, but there just doesn't seem to be a majority of users really wanting/needing a manual
2) the constant stream of innovation and updates mean any manual is likely to lag behind the actual software
3) the time to produce an up-to-date manual, and continually revise it, takes resources, and those resources could be "better" spent, in many's opinion, doing things like updating the Axe-Edit software to the latest version, improving the effects blocks etc.

On a semi-related note, I think in this day and age, the Wiki pages, which are quite up to date, are also viewed as something of the unofficial manual, as is this forum. Generally speaking again, if there is something that isn't easily understand, getting firsthand help from forum members, or Cliff himself, seems to go a lot further than any help a few lines of manual text could supply. The scope of the product, and the interactions of different routings etc, "mix rules" etc, are kind of hard to generalize in a paragraph, and instead of better served on a case by case basis, to achieve a certain goal, with first person help.

Tbh, I don't see how any of your points justifies that after over one year of hitting the stores there is no complete manual for a pretty complex device that has an 1500 Eur price tag and is considered pro gear. There is a complete manual for the Axe FX II to which all of your mentioned points apply as well :)

On your semi-related note, browsing the web, posting in boards, first hand help from officials is great and all (also seems to be really necessary), but doesn't help me to have all the parameters' explanations at hand in one document when I'm in the rehearsal room.
It may well be that writing an Axe Fx-manual is not an easy task, but that's no reason for not providing a complete manual for this kind of device in the first place - especially when considering that there is one for the Axe FX II (and I'm guessing for the others as well?). But I'd say that due to its format and the lower price, the AX8 is more likely to end up in a rehearsal room or on stage (i.e. in situations where you may have no access to the interwebz) than having a future as a studio dweller only.

I'm still very new to FAS gear. As for now I really like the AX8. Still needs tweaking until I love it (or let's say "until my guitar loves it" ^^). Not having a complete manual seems like an unnecessary obstacle here.

I’m definitely a manual reader!
What you could do is print of the Axe Fx II manual and take out all the pages that are not applicable to the Ax8 and then print out the Ax8 manual and put the Axe fx II pages in there.
Pretty much the only thing the Ax8 is missing are the individual FX block parameter explanations. I’m not sure rehearsal is really the time to be reasearching FX parameters at that level.

speaking about manual I found some inaccuracy on page 13. This little mistake saddened me when I tried to connect first time, because following the instructions I could not get the sound from Out2.

upload_2018-1-12_20-19-16.png

Back
Top Bottom