Comparing Low Cut - High Cut Methods

mwd

Power User
I watched a vid where the tone was shaped with a Low Cut in the Input EQ of the Amp Block. This question would apply to either low or high cut but using Low Cut as an example considering you could apply a low cut on the input EQ or output EQ of the amp, in the speaker cabinet or pre-amp of the cabinet, or in an external EQ block what effect would various points of EQ have or would the end result be the same via amp, cab, cab pre-amp or external?

I think I saw that same video and curious what the answers are. I usually have a parametric EQ after the cab block just to do a low and high cut. Never really considered the pros/cons of doing it in the amp or cab block.

There's no wrong answers here. All those methods can get you the desired results but they all are all slightly different sounding because of where and how the cuts are being applied. Cutting in the amp input EQ can change the way the amp behaves and feels as well as how it sounds. Conversely, cutting in the output EQ is different than cutting input eq and different than cutting in the cab block. Again, all because of the location of the equalization being applied. I feel you can get much more detailed results for the amp itself by cutting in the amp block. For the cab block, using either the Low/Hi Cuts on each individual IR or in the cab preamp section. Using an eq after the block sounds a little different to me because it's eq'ing the entire chain up to that point. But, that may be the method it works for you. If it sounds good, it is good.
It may be minutia to some but I hear the differences. FWIW, I always use the amp controls to shape the amp and the cab block cuts to shape the sound of the IR(s) as opposed to using a PEQ after. Just my method.

Reactions: mwd
Rather than making a large EQ adjustment at any one point, I tend to make small EQ adjustments in the amp and cab blocks. Then I'll place a multiband compressor and PEQ at the very end of the chain just for fine tuning.

Using an eq before something that generates a non-linearity (e.g. distortion or compression) has a different purpose than an eq placed at the end of the chain.
To give you an example, basically if you reduce low frequencies before a high gain amp you're not really turning down the low frequencies but rather reducing the amount of distortion on those frequencies, at least till they're still above the clipping threshold. See it as a gain-per-band control.

All the eq options are one of the most powerful features in the Axe.

One eq option in the amp block that is very useful is the eq between the preamp and power amp, which is typically used for the Mesa scoop. With NMV amp models, using a low cut here can let you run the preamp gain up without bloating out the power amp as much. It's similar, but can produce a different feel from low cutting before the preamp.

Another one of my favorite tools are the eqs on the mic pre page in the cab block, as well as the various tone shaping options you get by using the different mic preamp models.

Also, don't forget the eqs in the fx blocks. Adding low and high cuts to reverb, delays, and mods can let you use more mix and stay clear.

Pre-EQ in the amp is a special case (or any EQ before the amp). As others have pointed out, that changes the character of your overdrive. All my amps typically get a pretty significant de-flubbing low cut here, and a little boost at around 1k for some sizzle (thanks Cooper Carter!)

After that, I use another EQ option like the parametric block for “normal” tone shaping, mainly finding resonant peaks or shrill bits I don’t like and cutting them.

I remember when I discovered EQ pedals with my amp! What a revelation it was. I had one on front to tickle the tubes the way I liked, and another in the effects loop to shape the actual sound, ie add some bass back.

However with newer firmwares I find I’m touching EQ less and less.

I watched Cooper’s vid too and use low cut on the input depending on the amp. It reduces flub on neck pickups and in higher gain tones. A great tool to have and no cpu needed.

Let’s use a Dual Rec as an example. They’re naturally bassy amps with a loose low end and a saggy feel. Cutting low end in the input stage reduces low end hitting the preamp, which makes the amp feel tighter while still having lots of low end coming from the preamp. If you cut the low end in the Cab block, you’re cleaning up the boomy frequencies while retaining the amp’s natural saggy feel.

Cutting in the input stage is like modding your amp. Cutting in the cab block is like fine-tuning your amp’s natural response to fit the mix.

Personal opinion, cutting highs using amp controls gives much more natural results than using the high cut in the cab block to take away what’s naturally there. So try getting where you want to be with just the amp controls, and if you HAVE to use a high cut in the Cab block, use it sparingly (I wouldn’t go below 14k) so you don’t cut off the energy that makes you present in the mix.

Back
Top Bottom