Comparing Axe FX II to a Diezel D-Moll

Orvillain

Power User
So I'm still not a 100% convertee over here; I still like valve amps, and I still have this gut feeling or instinct that they sound better than modelling. But I'm having quite a number of my fundamental assumptions challenged over here! :D

So this isn't scientific in the slightest, but here is what I have:

Axe FX II output 1 going into a Marshall Valvestate poweramp.
Output 2 going into a DI box with the ground lift enabled, and then into the front of the Diezel D-Moll. I've level matched it to ensure that the level going into the amp is the same with the Axe as without. In short - matched it to plugging the guitar directly in.
Then I'm running this patch:
AxeComparisonPatch.PNG

So in short - scene 1 is the real amp, scene 2 is the modelled amp. Then I record a loop into the looper and switch between the two scenes to compare the amps. There just is no clear winner, as much as I really really really wanted there to be. I didn't care which was the outright winner... I just wanted there to be one, so that the argument in my head could be settled. I had my wife (who isn't a musician and knows nothing about any of this stuff!) which was giving the best tones, but I didn't tell her which was which. Once she picked the real amp and another time she picked the Axe FX.

The time she picked a real amp, I was using Das Metall. The time she picked the model, I was using Euro Red - which weirdly, sounds way closer to my Diezel D-Moll than any of the Diezel models on the unit.

I am *really* liking the Marshall Valvestate poweramp. It adds this bit of glue to the Axe FX and gives it a bit of extra thump. Compared it with a Matrix poweramp the other week that a friend has (he has a Valvestate too) and I thought the Valvestate blew the Matrix out of the water personally.

Very strange and interesting discoveries at the moment. I expected when I first got my Axe to just like it for recording, and would always prefer a real amp... but I cannot say that this has been the result at all. And the Axe has all this extra flexibility, which is both a good thing and a bad thing... because there is nothing like just plugging into a few pedals and then an amp and turning a few knobs.

The fact that for me there is no clear tonal winner is frustrating as hell! :D

I grew up in a time where tubes were the only way to get a great tone, solid state amps at the time were terrible. Had to be tubes, had to be tubes.. burned into my brain. Now it's really just not true. Use whatever you want, as long as what you get out of it pleases you, puts a smile on your face while you are playing... and make some music.

Back
Top Bottom