Compact pedal sized stereo power amp for FM9?

The Harley Benton GPA-100 is very cheap and has a lot of power for it's price/size.
Its a mono pedal amp.

I have its brother, the Thunder 99 which is stereo (same pedal BTW as the Carvin Mach 100 but cost less than 50%).
Its "ok"....not more than that. It is a perfect solution for home use or small (very) gig.
It doesn't holdup in a loud band when you need to feed a 4x12 or even a 2x12. I noticed its clipping very fast (volume cuts to non for a 1-2 seconds).
If you are not planning to overtake Wembley arena than its a good solution.

The Carvin Mach 100 is 1:1 HB
As I understand it (which could be totally wrong), that's not so, at least according to listed specs. The HB is 100w at 4 ohms, the Carvin is 100w at 8 ohms. Isn't that twice the power? Wouldn't the HB be 50w (25/25) at 8 ohms? I can get this sort of thing screwed up...

As I understand it (which could be totally wrong), that's not so, at least according to listed specs. The HB is 100w at 4 ohms, the Carvin is 100w at 8 ohms. Isn't that twice the power? Wouldn't the HB be 50w (25/25) at 8 ohms? I can get this sort of thing screwed up...
Also, there's no frequency response spec for the HB. Perhaps it's worse. Maybe lower output and poorer freq resp is why it's so much cheaper?

The Harley Benton is 100w into 8ohms or 190w into 4ohm, it's reportedly similar to a 33w tube amp.

I have a couple and they're loud enough to gig with, but you're right about the response, they're not flat. But you can't use the onboard EQ and sorta sort that, but heck, for the price there's really nothing like them.

I’m talking about the stereo version, the HB Thunder 99, because the OP was asking about stereo amps. It’s lower power, potentially lower fidelity.

Back
Top Bottom