Comments on my AX8 recording setup

CitharaVirtuoso

Hi All,

I am still fairly new to the AX8. I have been doing a lot of reading and watching the extremely helpful videos from Leon Todd and Plague Scythe Studios.

I wanted to post my current setup and get some feedback to make sure I'm "doing it right":

1. Obviously, guitar into the AX8
2. From there, I'm running a Left and Right output to the Left and Right input of my Presonus Audiobox USB.
3. In my AX8 tone setups, I'm panning one speaker cab full to the Left with proximity effect, and one fully to the Right with proximity effect. I add a touch (few decimals points of a MS) of latency to one side. I am assuming this is routing one cab fully to the Left, and the other fully to the Right.
4. In Presonus Studio One 3, I'm adding one track for mono left, and one track for mono right. I fully pan them accordingly as well.
5. From there, I record the two tracks which I am hoping is giving the effect of one cabinet on the left, and one cabinet on the right.

This may be common sense for a lot of you, but would certainly appreciate the feedback. Obviously my goal is to get the multi-track effect of two mics recording on two cabs.

Are there any elements I'm missing? Anything else I should consider?

Thanks so much in advance for the feedback / advice!

You should be fine with that setup, but i prefer record 2 tracks and pan after. The litlle differences of each track produce a great track. Sorry for my English....

Yes I agree with the other comments - If you use a stereo track, you can set the panning attributes (Like 'Width') of the track with your DAW (Well I can in Cubase).
Thanks
Pauly

Thanks for the feedback.

So, would a better, fuller sound be produced from two separate stereo tracks then pan them after recording?

Yes. "Doubletracking" is what you hear on many modern albums. Record the part twice, pan one L and one R.

In terms of your setup, you can record the two mono tracks twice, and use Take 1, CAB A on the L and Take 2, CAB B on the R.

Back
Top Bottom