Come on then, talk me into it

UnsungHeroGuitars

Fractal Fanatic
Have been an Ultra owner for three years now. Still happy, still impressed and still well aware that I don't fully utilise it's potential, or really need to.

The thing is, the thought of getting a II has been sitting on the shoulder pretty much since it's release, but I've happily let it sit there... but now it's starting to whisper sweet nothings...
unsure.gif

Bandmate still uses a POD XT Pro and has recently confessed that he's hugely envious of my sound - well duh, that's a given, but it's been brought more into the focus with the arrival of an In-Ear Monitoring approach to live performances. So, it just so happens that I can sell him my Ultra and move ahead for a few more £s - but what is it that would make it worthwhile getting a II rather than just seeking out another Ultra..?
thinking.gif

Ok, I can obviously look at the tech sheet for that and things like double the power don't really matter because I don't max out the Ultra as it is... and from what I've read of late (whilst hanging out in the posh lounge ;)) the Tone Matching thing is perhaps a bit, erm, 'flaky', so I can't really see that as big selling point either.

I guess it's the 'Power of 10' which has advanced a distant musing into more of a GAS and whilst I'm well aware that "OMG, it's the best thing ever!!! Well, since the last best thing ever anyway..." hype can be at play here, what is it - in your opinion - that makes the difference..?

I switched from the Ultra to the II about a year ago. At that time I think the gap between the two was measurable, but narrow. Since then the gap has grown considerably.

To me its more of a feel thing than a sound thing. The II at V10 just feels more alive.

Do it...I have an xt live and it's your responsibility to yourself and your bandmates to step away from the line 6...I'll only use mine as a portable private practice tool from now on...

WOW, I've played both the POD XT Live and the HD 500 and like them for what they are. But using a POD on stage next to someone playing an Axe would kind of be like being a male stripper and sharing the stage with John Holmes. You would get neither paid nor laid.

Standing next to John Holms today would make me impressive.
After 14.march 1988, that is.

I'd do it in a heartbeat. Lucky you have the option.

Play the same patch in the AFX II and you will think the Ultra sounds like a POD. Which it doesn't.. Put all three in the figure and the POD is a FM radio
Play the AFX II to the real amp blind folded and pick the real one...

O'yeah...... plus you get like 100 other new amps for the money..

I was surprised to find this video to go with the three wise monkeys Cover'd signature. But here it is and it says it all.

If the other member of your band will buy the Ultra and its an affordable step to the II, it seems a logical step to take.

WOW, I've played both the POD XT Live and the HD 500 and like them for what they are. But using a POD on stage next to someone playing an Axe would kind of be like being a male stripper and sharing the stage with John Holmes. You would get neither paid nor laid.

An interesting analogy Jim - thanks for that!

Bandmate took the Ultra for a short test drive yesterday and we A/B'd it with his POD and even he - one who really has no clue about what goes into certain tonalities - could hear and feel an obvious difference. That's my Ultra sold then! :)

Back
Top Bottom