Combining two Cab blocks?

54321pj

Inspired
Can you combine two cab blocks into one?
I have Cab Lab 3 full version.
When in Cab Lab, I'm trying to load the Cabs but cant see them. They exist on the Axe unit but not in my "Cab" folder.
Bit of background on what I'm attempting to do:-
- I have an XL, and in one of my patches I'm using a factory cab (cant remember exact one)
- Then, somewhere down the line I did a tone match block myself and figured out if I placed this after the factory cab block in the chain, I achieved the exact sound I was after...
I needed to tweak my patch to add an acoustic signal line and needed to cut down the CPU. so I converted the tone match block to an IR and it is now a second cab block (I'm happy with it) Again, running it after the factory cab block.
- I now want to combine the two cab Blocks into one (using Cab Lab) to further free up CPU. (or combine the factory cab block and my tone match, into one cab block)

How do I do it? Like I say, I cant find the SYX files, or any cabs using the browser in Cab Lab.
Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for any tips, advice and tutorials.;)

I believe there is a way to export your Tone Match as an IR, but I could be wrong. Either way, if you can't with the TMB you can with Voxengo Deconvolver or Izotope Ozone, but that's neither here nor there. All you'd need to do is export those two cabs, then combine them using any number of IR mixing programs, including Cab Lab 3. I'd recommend CL3 though because then you have the option to mix them in series or parallel, and mixing them in series would probably give you a more accurate translation of what your patch is currently doing.

Agreed - Disappointing that.
I thought I read somewhere that you cant load SYX files to CL3 but you can load WAV files. Maybe I can use a 3rd party program to convert the files somehow? could be tricky, but I'm still trying to figure out how to extract the factory cab's to anywhere other than on/in the Axe FX unit itself... Maybe that cant be done either?

I thought I read somewhere that you cant load SYX files to CL3 but you can load WAV files. Maybe I can use a 3rd party program to convert the files somehow? could be tricky, but I'm still trying to figure out how to extract the factory cab's to anywhere other than on/in the Axe FX unit itself... Maybe that cant be done either?

Doubtful. If there was such a tool, I doubt Fractal would let it live on this forum.

There's some nice tools that can convert syx to wav but the problem is: you can't extract a factory cab from the axe (nor syx, nor wav format)

Wait a moment, you can do a tonematch, the result would'nt be perfect but can get you close:
1. Disengage the cab block with the tonematched IR (you already have it and simplicity helps)
2. Record a wav file playing with this preset
3. Disengage the factory cab bloc in the axe
4. Put a tonematch bloc instead with the wav recorded file as reference signal.
5. Now you can extract an IR from this second tonematch, since the preset is the same except for the factory cab the result would be a match of the factory IR
6. Finally you have both IRs ready to combine with cablab
Makes sense?
If the preset is gainy or compressed you can try a clean preset with this factory cab and check if the tonematch gives better results in this way

Last edited:
Yes this is other way, but I don't know if our buddy have a good mic, conditioned room and transparent preamp in orther to do a quality IR capture...aside that get the right mic angle/placement can be tricky, with TMB you only need a good cable, is easiest and cheapest IMO hehe

Yes this is other way, but I don't know if our buddy have a good mic, conditioned room and transparent preamp in orther to do a quality IR capture...aside that get the right mic angle/placement can be tricky, with TMB you only need a good cable, is easiest and cheapest IMO hehe

He wouldn't need to, would he? Just send a sine sweep through the factory cab and into his DAW over USB.

You're right, a trophy for mr connor

Haha! For the record, just to play it safe, I'm not condoning any questionable reverse-engineering procedures that may be frowned upon by Fractal. This is all just hypothetical. However, this actually is really helpful if you have a .SYX but lost the .WAV file you made it from.

Hi all, thanks for the reply's.
Definitely no monetary benefit schemes from my side. Like you say, initially I'm only after saving CPU, maybe combining cab blocks (if you could) would be fun though. I didn't see problem or potential issue with that, after all, the Cab blocks are stock ones already in the unit I purchased and are shared within presets anyway, but I suppose if they are not in all Axe FX units then there might be a conflict there? but Fractal would be at no more risk than any other 3rd party IR company when it comes to people "sharing" presets..
I didn't really see an issue with loading the stock cabs into Cab Lab 3, after all I have had to purchase both Fractal products to start with..

Anyway, You guy's have given me some good advice and tips above, so I will continue to play around and see if I can compromise a solution.

Back
Top Bottom