Combining cabs in Axe

GibsonLesPaul

Experienced
Until I started to get an Axe and reading here on the forum, I never had heard of combining 2 different cabs.
Of course I can try and error but when I see some posts (Scott f.e.) I see there's much more behind this.
E.g. Panned or not, dial a few dB extra or less for some cab. Etc, etc
Just a total new playground for me.

Can some tell me more about this, how to approach and what pitfalls there are. Wanna try it definately, but with a good start.
Thanks.

I almost always run 2 different cabs or 2 different mics on the same cab.

What usually works best for me is mixing something a little on the bright side with something a little on the dark side. Think 57 mic with a R121. I usually find a cab I like and then I'll make up for its extra brightness/darkness with something else.

There's no set rules which make it incredibly time consuming. Panning, levels, etc. is completely a taste thing. I usually pan -20/20 but that's just me.

I almost always run 2 different cabs or 2 different mics on the same cab.

What usually works best for me is mixing something a little on the bright side with something a little on the dark side. Think 57 mic with a R121. I usually find a cab I like and then I'll make up for its extra brightness/darkness with something else.

There's no set rules which make it incredibly time consuming. Panning, levels, etc. is completely a taste thing. I usually pan -20/20 but that's just me.
Ok thats a good example to start with. Thanks!

A lot of boutique amp manufacturers combine a Celestion Blue with a G12H30 in the same 2x12 cabinet. I'm sure there are lots of other popular combinations, but that's a popular one that comes to mind off the top of my head.

I'll also sometimes use a near field IR with a farfield IR, usually with the farfield IR a little lower output level.

Here's a few combinations I typically use off the top of my head. These work best for medium-high gain tones. Experiment with different combinations of mics or even no mics. If you're more of a low gain/clean type of player I can't help much. Cycle through the factory presets. They give you a good idea of what cabs pair well with each other.

Mixing any 2 G12M cabs
A G12M cab with 1960B T75, SLM H75, SLM M75, SLM G65
1960B V30 + 1960B T75
SLM H75 + 1960B T75
SLM M75 + 1960B T75
SLM G65 + 1960 T75
Any two V30 cabs
Uber V30 + Uber T75/V30
German Boutique + any V30 cab
Cali + Recto V30 (RW or OH)
Basketweave AX + TV
Rumble EV12L + EV12s
Cali Lead 80s + Recto V30 (RW or OH)

Yup, combining my 2x12 plus CLR covers it all.

But sadly it doesn't fit in my "I-must-be-able-to-carry-it-all-in-one-go-from-car-to-room" rule. :)

Back
Top Bottom