Color coding of presets vanishes after updates

Jesse

I'm pretty sure this is some user error on my part, but after spending a while playing around with all the factory presets and color tagging some as favorites, the next time I updated Axe-Edit it was all gone. Obviously that would not be a very useful feature given how often the software updates and I can't find any posts complaining about it, so it must be something dumb I'm doing.

When I download an update to Axe-Edit, I'm installing in the same folder as the old one, which seems like the obvious way to do it.

What happens if you go into Manage Presets and click the "refresh" symbol (2 arrows in a circular shape)?

The *Edit programs store their color coding information in a separate file called color-assignments_iii.dat in their individual preference folder. The only time you should lose assignments is if that file disappears or the editor writes to a different folder. Since that folder is OS specific it shouldn't happen.

The colors are bound to the preset/cab by their names, so if the name changes the link will be broken. Restore the original name and the link and color will be reestablished.

The *Edit programs store their color coding information in a separate file called color-assignments_iii.dat in their individual preference folder. The only time you should lose assignments is if that file disappears or the editor writes to a different folder. Since that folder is OS specific it shouldn't happen.

The colors are bound to the preset/cab by their names, so if the name changes the link will be broken. Restore the original name and the link and color will be reestablished.
Good point.

@Jesse - are you possibly running the editor on a different computer than the one you applied the colors from?

@unix-guy no this is all from the same computer. It recently updated to Win 11 but this was going on when it was still on Win 10. Refreshing the presets didn't make any difference.

Did a search and found the file @Greg Ferguson mentioned in C:\Users\jesse\AppData\Roaming\Fractal Audio\Axe-Edit III

The file says it was last modified on 1/4/22 at 7:26 AM...not sure what happened then? Last Axe-Edit update was to v1.10.05 on 12/6. The editor is installed at C:\Program Files\Fractal Audio\Axe-Edit III and I'm the only user on this computer.

Is it possible that the dat file is getting overwritten for some reason during updates?

Back
Top Bottom