Collecting old rack gear...What to get?

Digitech 2101 - I still have mine in a rack. I still play it too. Running it stereo with my twin Mesa 1x12 combos it is a thing of beauty.

https://reverb.com/p/digitech-gsp2101
+1 preferably an Artist edition w/the PPC-210 expansion card so you can have ... gapless preset switching! IIRC this was probably the only consumer-grade product that featured truly flexible routing prior to Fractal. Neat piece of gear for its day.

+1 preferably an Artist edition w/the PPC-210 expansion card so you can have ... gapless preset switching! IIRC this was probably the only consumer-grade product that featured truly flexible routing prior to Fractal. Neat piece of gear for its day.
I loved my gsp2101 with expansion, but it died completely, now sold some parts.
spent hundreds of hours drawing fx algorithms and programming them in.
prepared my mind for FM9 programming :}

I loved my gsp2101 with expansion, but it died completely, now sold some parts.
spent hundreds of hours drawing fx algorithms and programming them in.
prepared my mind for FM9 programming :}

I've said on more than one occasion that anyone complaining about Fractal's UI should be sentenced to a lengthy stint of algorithm development on a 2101. I'm sure it wasn't the worst but ... woof.

Sold my MP-1 a few years ago because my Axe-Fx negated the need for it anymore. (Actually, I hadn't used it since I first discovered modeling with the POD kidney bean.) Still have my Quadraverb, a DBX compressor/limiter I picked up in the '90s for home recording, and a patch bay in a rack in storage.

Digitech 2101 - I still have mine in a rack. I still play it too. Running it stereo with my twin Mesa 1x12 combos it is a thing of beauty.

https://reverb.com/p/digitech-gsp2101
The preamp section, the compression fx, the stereo chorus and the Bigverb of these units are killer. Used this unit exactly the same way with just a control one and a Wah in front, very 80/90's sounding with these gorgeous fx. Regrettable they stopped these units, that now often show flaws with the internal flat cable connections and encoder wheels.

Unlike vintage pedals old rack gear is mostly a "worst of both worlds" scenario compared to modern gear - it's generally harder to use, less reliable and there's very few cases where it sounds better. Trying to program sounds on an old Eventide or Lexicon is incredibly tedious if you're used to Axe-Edit, and the stuff like the Synergy modules will get you a lot of the old rack pres with way more flexibility.

Having said that, here's some of my favourites!

Preamps
Triaxis (you've got this covered)
Boogie Studio Pre (Syn IICP would cover this)
ADA MP-1
Peavey Rockmaster (Syn 5150 is similar)

I think the Synergy 800 module sounds way more like a classic Marshall than a JMP1 but let's put the JMP1 in "classic" territory for to the number of bands that used them.

Classic Effects that are all expensive AF now
TC2290 - Fractal 2290 sounds identical
Roland SDE 1000/3000 - EVH approved, but you need 2 for stereo and they're huge
Lexicon PCM70 - Again we have the Circular/Pan delays in the Axe. Rich Plate and Concert Hall reverb are pretty great though
Roland Dimension D - world's second most expensive chorus
Dytronics TriChorus - world's most expensive chorus
Eventide H3000 - sounds beautiful but you could buy an Axe-Fx and take your family or to a Michelin starred restaurant for the price they go for used now

Underrated effects that are more reasonable and kinda fun
Yamaha SPX90/900/FX900
Roland DEP-5
Alesis Quadraverb
Korg A3
Sony DPS M7/R7
Lexicon MPX-1
Kurzweil Rumor
Digitech TRS-24
Roland GP100

I've got in depth videos with all these (except the Tri Chorus) on my channel if you want to hear what they do. Or grab my blocks library for recreations of them all and save yourself the trauma 🤣
The quadraverb was great. I left one stocked in the attic of a friend, and a guitar and Amp also, when I left Holland in 1992, didn't play these for 7 years. Then everything fried and smoked during a "band Réunion" rehearsal in 99. All this old stuff sounds great but suffers the problems any electric gear for over 30 years suffers, except tube amps that seem to do quite well most of the time.

Quadraverb
Lexicon Vortex was really cool and would morph between effects
Rocktron stuff, the Intellefex is good for delay, reverb and chorus
The Line 6 rack stuff is cool, I have the filter modeler
I think I even have a Peavey Valveverb rack Reverb/Tremolo that sounds pretty good

Back
Top Bottom