Clueless on MIDI

Bones86

Hello gang!

First off all, to moderators: if this belongs to the wrong forum category feel free to move thread.
Secondly this pertains mostly to the AXE-FX ll but I posted it here because that other part of the forum seems like a graveyard now and I thought this might be more of a "global question".

Anyways, long story short.

I recently purchased a used Axe FX ll and I am blown away by it, blows my Kemper straight out the window.
When I bought the unit it did not include the MFC-101 floor pedal unit but I have an old Native Instruments' Guitar Rig 2 'Kontrol' midi device I want to use.
Basically it has 8 push / stomp buttons and 1 expression pedal with Midi in/out.

My first question is: #1 Do I go MIDI out on the Guitar Rig 2 midi controller and MIDI in on my Axe FX ll?
And question number two: #2 After all that is hooked up, what do I do next? I'm a perfect shade of green when it comes to all this. I have no idea what to do next. Like mapping keys, do changes in the 'I/O' section(?), and using/mapping the expression pedal ect.

In my head I picture using the first two top buttons to change presets, the next two to switch between X/Y. The two on the buttom to engage/disengage certain effects and the last two to be for tuner and looper, respectively. If I could use the On/Off button under the expression pedal to change between active Wah-Wah and active Whammy pitcher I'd be a happy little Fractonian user geek :cool:

Thanks for any help and nice to meet you all. Well over 10 years late to the party on this unit but a million thanks to the creators of this awesome equipment. My joy of playing and making music again I had as a teen has resurrected and I'm really into learning about frequencies and creating tones now too boot so this device has really opened doors for me and brought me new found joy in life. So that is pretty exceptional.

the Axe II happens to be 2-way MIDI, super useful. If you can get your hands on a used RJM mastemind, and version, your midi life will become super simple. I use both the AXE II and III. The Mastermind will poll the presets and scenes in the II during initial setup. Then you simply assign controllers.

I will look into that unit now. Saving up for a used MFC-101, but I might go for the RJM Mastermind instead as you describe it it sounds pretty sweet very useful.

Alternatively you could use a MX Midicontroller.

You only need a 7-pin Midi cable to connect MX controller to your Axe-Fx II. Power, Midi in and Midi out are all transferred. Power adapter is directly connected to the input on the Axe-Fx II.

All button on the MX are full programmable. With the Axe-Fx II you can also sync Preset Name, Tuner info and Tempo light.

Alternatively you could use a MX Midicontroller.

You only need a 7-pin Midi cable to connect MX controller to your Axe-Fx II. Power, Midi in and Midi out are all transferred. Power adapter is directly connected to the input on the Axe-Fx II.

All button on the MX are full programmable. With the Axe-Fx II you can also sync Preset Name, Tuner info and Tempo light.

Ok good to know. I will look into that unit too :) Awesome that the MIDI input on the Axe FX ll powers units with a 7-pin connector.

Sorry to bother you all again and @unix-guy thanks for your reply above.

So here's the situation. I've picked up my NI Guitar Rig 2 'Kontrol' midi device now, but it turns out the only two MIDI cables I have was a MIDI in/out with USB at the end can't use that and the other was a MIDI in one end and a 1/4" Jack on the other end. So on my way home I went to a music store but they only sold MIDI In/Out with 5- pins in both ends so I picked up one of those. I understand that my Axe FX ll will not power up my MIDI device but that is cool because I give power to my MIDI unit via USB.

So my MIDI device now has power and I go MIDI out on that unit to MIDI in on my Axe FX ll (or should I use the MIDI Tru connector?)

Anyways... my problem is that I still have no clue on how I MAP buttons.

For example... I want Button 1 & 2 on my 'Kontrol' midi device to change Presets (for now) How do I do something simple as that? Where do I go on settings on my Axe FX ll? I am totally clueless.

Thanks guys.

Did you read the manual for your ii as yet?
Yes good sir I did, actually my unit didn't come with the manual so I had print it out for 20$ at my local library (lol) but I digress.
Well read it and read it I have it on my table and I do use the manual but to be honest it can be vary vague on explaining everything but sometimes the very basics and not always even that. This is not the first time I had to google something I ponder about the Axe Fx ll because the manual simply didn't explain it well enough, no offense it is great otherwise.
As far as I MIDI goes; I feel a headace coming on because I've been googling/youtubing for hours now and I don't think I will get a happy ending here.
Just to reiterate: My MIDI device has power via USB from my PC and I use a 5-pin (both ends) MIDI cable going MIDI out on my device to MIDI in on my Axe FX ll. And I still can't figure out how I map the buttons on my device to "do things" within the Axe FX ll. Like button 1 & 2 to change presets up and down, button 3 to activate the Tuner ect.
As I ponder this I'm starting to wonder if my Guitar Rig 2 'Kontrol' unit needs its own software so I choose which of the six (technically seven) buttons on my MIDI device will do what within the Axe Fx ll.
Oh gosh this is just mind numbing excausting

Most MIDI pedals have either software to control functions or there are some hidden button combinations in order to control which MIDI messages are sent from which pedal. However, I think the Rig Kontrol 2 is essentially a controller for the Native Instruments Guitar Rig software. So while the pedal itself has the MIDI interface, I think the software running on the computer actually generates the MIDI signal and sends it over USB to the pedal and out the MIDI interface. Which means that the pedal itself is useless without connecting to the software. I think you're right, this may not have a happy ending.

If you can track down a copy of Guitar Rig that works with that pedal, you might be able to get that setup working. If not, there's a good number of MIDI controllers on the market that might be better suited and don't need a computer to operate.

Most MIDI pedals have either software to control functions or there are some hidden button combinations in order to control which MIDI messages are sent from which pedal. However, I think the Rig Kontrol 2 is essentially a controller for the Native Instruments Guitar Rig software. So while the pedal itself has the MIDI interface, I think the software running on the computer actually generates the MIDI signal and sends it over USB to the pedal and out the MIDI interface. Which means that the pedal itself is useless without connecting to the software. I think you're right, this may not have a happy ending.

If you can track down a copy of Guitar Rig that works with that pedal, you might be able to get that setup working. If not, there's a good number of MIDI controllers on the market that might be better suited and don't need a computer to operate.

Thanks for your reply.

I fear you are right :-(

I should save up for another MIDI controller like ones mentioned here.

Thanks everyone for your help :)

Yeah... Right now this sounds like a controller issue, not an Axe Fx one.

Programming the buttons on your controller is mostly about the process on the controller itself.

If you can afford to buy a used MFC-101 your life will be much happier. Most of the stuff there doesn't require midi configuration because it's "integrated" with the Axe Fx II.

Yeah... Right now this sounds like a controller issue, not an Axe Fx one.

Programming the buttons on your controller is mostly about the process on the controller itself.

If you can afford to buy a used MFC-101 your life will be much happier. Most of the stuff there doesn't require midi configuration because it's "integrated" with the Axe Fx II.
Thanks :) I have the MFC-101 on my list over potenial MIDI controllers and it’s high up on my list.

Money is a bit tight now but I’m saving up for a new controller.

Looking forward to getting one, but in the mean time there is tons to do and learn without a controller too :-D

Back
Top Bottom