• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

CLRs as Monitors are Awesome!

GiRa

Forum Addict
Hi folks,
I just moved house and during the shipping of my stuff, the stereo system got damaged. In the meantime, I hooked my HS80M to the TV so I can stream audio and video from other devices into it. It is enough to survive :)

The amazing fact is that, because of this situation, I had to temporary replace the studio monitors with my two Atomic CLRs.
I have them at ear level in FF configuration and... I've never ever had such a detailed representation of the sound stage!
If you put on a good record, it is like sitting in the rehearsal room of the band playing, plus you get to understand the lyrics too! :D

Anyway give them a shot in this configuration. They are amazing. I think they are even better of some high end monitor you commonly find in recording studios.

barhrecords

Axe-Master
My only complaint is a fairly high self noise level when using them as near fields. But I agree the stereo imaging and midrange detail are great!

barhrecords

Axe-Master
+1 on high self noise level
I find it completely innocuous when using the CLR's for their intended purpose; as monitors on stage.

But setup in my mix room 2-3m from my listening position, the low level hiss is more noticeable and objectionable.

6stringscott

Inspired
I usually play with my face 1-2 meters from CLR, seldom 3 meters or more, and never hada problem with hiss. I keep the channel volumes at 50% and master relatively low (so I get volume I want from Axe output 1 @ 50% - gives me room to occasionally bump up when I want to blast but then I come back to ~50%).

GiRa

Forum Addict
Yeah, the hiss is manageable. With the master around 2 or 3 you get the same hiss you get from the Yamaha monitors (for example) but there are a lot of true near field monitor that have nearly no hiss at all.

Anyway, the CLRs do perform great from a sound reproduction point of view.

Top Bottom