CLRs and Amp In The Room tone. I think I've figured something out.

GreatGreen

Power User
So I think I might have stumbled across a technique that allows Axe-Fx FRFR rigs to get very close, if not surpass amp-in-the-room tones altogether. It has definitely made my Axe II + CLR rig sound bigger and better in the room to me than my Axe II -> tube poweramp -> 2x12 rig after A/B testing for "in the room" tones, which I think is saying something.

Basically, a lot of people think you just can't get an FRFR rig running an amp and cab simulation to sound like an amp in the room. They say that to get a room-filling 4x12 or 2x12-esque "lots of surface area moving lots of air" sound and feel, you simply need a real guitar cab driving multiple speakers and nothing else will do. Well, I don't agree. There's nothing magical about a guitar cab. From what I've found, that "magical" pants-shaking feeling being talked about is nothing more than... bass. The really powerful, bassy kind of bass, as in somewhere around 110 hz and below. That's what most 2x12 and 4x12 cabs naturally produce lots of that most people who use them really feel when they play through them, and it's what people who use FRFR systems usually miss out on. I think it's pretty much that simple.

The problem with getting room filing sound with Axe-Fx FRFR rigs is that most guys seem to just dial up an Amp block and Cab block onto the grid and go from there. This will no doubt make for a great mix-ready sound, but the problem with this is that most Cab IRs tend to cut out all the sub bass, which guitar cabs do produce lots of, so naturally you're going to have a significant differential between a Cab IR and a cab. Why this happens I'm not sure. Maybe because guitar speakers (the things most often mic'd when capturing IRs) don't actually produce all that much bass and instead the room shaking bass comes from the resonance of the top, bottom, side, and back walls of the cab, which act as their own low frequency "speakers" reacting from the vibrations of the "actual" speakers mounted in front. I'm not really sure. All I know is that cabs tend to have all this low frequency complexity going on while cab IRs just... kind of don't.

So how do we get around this?

It's actually pretty simple, really. We add back the bass. You can't add it with EQ after the cab IR though because it has already cut out most of the low bass from the signal completely. Instead, start by finding your Amp and Cab blocks and placing a Filter block on the grid in parallel with your Cab block. Then, route your Amp block straight to the Filter block, bypassing the Cab block.

From here, change the Filter Type to "Lowpass," change Order parameter to "4th" for a sharper frequency cutoff, and set the Frequency value to somewhere between 110 and 120 hz or to taste. From here, route your Filter block back into the chain after your Cab block and set the Filter block's volume using the Level parameter (not the Gain parameter), and adjust the level until you've added enough low end back into your signal.

That's it, you're done! Your previously mix-ready tone is now a room filling monster that can give you all the amp in the room, pants shaking sound and feelings you can stand. And whether or not this sounds literally exactly like your favorite real life amp and cab in the room, I can guarantee you it is every bit as fun to play.

Personally, I've found my favorite patches setup this way and played through the CLRs definitely sound and feel way better "in the room" to me than my actual amps sound and feel in the room. It's kind of unreal.

edit:

H3O2 got it exactly right a few posts down. This is all there is to it!

Last edited:
I'll give this a try. I'm currently trying to go with no cab sim in another thread on here. I actually find the CLR's to be very bassy, but I still want to see what this sounds like.

What I'm currently trying to get as well as "big air" is the timbre of my Mesa cab. Still haven't totally ironed out its warmth or smoothness, but am making progress.

Cool idea.

I have tried it in a rehearsal situation with two other guitar players, both of whom were extremely complimentary of the tones I was getting!

Also, you can always add another high pass filter after the low pass filter to cut out everything under, say, 60 or 70 Hz if you're afraid of overloading the FRFR system you're using, btw.

Would love to hear in person how adding a filter and some EQ will be the equivalent of a cabinet designed for a specific air volume capacity ... not to mention a cab that is "tuned" in a way to manipulate the volume of air moving in it.

If you found a solution on how to increase the volume of a given container without changing its size and simulating the complexities of air flow and its reflections within the confines of a box much bigger than the source (not to mention wood types/baffles etc), with some filtering and EQs ... then man package it and sell it.

You will become a millionaire over night!

Can you post a screen shot of one of your patches so I can see how you're routing this? this greatly interests me as I'd like to be able to dump my real amp if I feel I can get close with an FRFR set up.
the one thing that has always eluded me with an FRFR setup is the "feel" the sound has never really been the issue.
so far My Recto 2X12 has always won out over any FRFR wedge/Cab I've tried.

Last edited:
Lighten up LVC....man..what the hell

Dude we are talking "Alchemy" here.

If this works -- you have just turned a piece of coal into a diamond.

I would love for it to work!

Regarding a business -- hell I will personally be an investor and seed the NEWCO.

How do you like them apples!

I do think there is merit in what Great Green is saying here. The low freqs he talks about will sort of "envelope" you in this "bigness" which otherwise doesn't usually exist in many (most) FR cabinets (PA cabinets). It is implied that if you want strong reproduction of 60-100hz, you will add a subwoofer. Now, for live performance on a stage with a big PA system and powerful subwoofers, adding all of that low end may not be necessary or desirable, but this is a set of technical considerations different from the sonic "emotional needs" of the performer on stage. If a 4x12 cabinet's low end drives a sound tech crazy, then reproducing the same type of low end volume from a CLR will just be more of the same...however, you can always aim your CLR's at yourself in wedge position, which you normally couldn't do with a 4x12 cabinet.

It's added gear, but unless there is a steep high pass somewhere in the signal chain, adding a powered compact subwoofer would boost the frequencies you're describing under 110hz. Though I'm a bassist, not a guitarist, I know that this addition made all the world of difference when combined with the CLR. My pair of CLRs in conjunction with a 12" powered sub (Sub ON mode engaged in the CLRs) was absolutely scary loud and clear and full of power in the low end. It would give my 8x10 SVT cab a run for its money, and makes the experience of FRFR much more palatable IMHO.

Dude we are talking "Alchemy" here.

If this works -- you have just turned a piece of coal into a diamond.

I would love for it to work!

Regarding a business -- hell I will personally be an investor and seed the NEWCO.

How do you like them apples!

I can understand your unwillingness to listen to a word I'm saying as I've read your previous posts specifically attacking Atomic, CLRs, and all FRFR approaches in general after having personally tried and failed to get them to sound how you wanted, due to your own personally admitted lack of effort in doing so.

Doesn't mean other people can't get creative and figure things out using methods that never occurred to you.

And I'm not breaking any laws of physics here. I'm literally describing a way to turn up the bass in a speaker system designed to handle bass in the frequency ranges I mention, while handling a lot of volume, and while evenly distributing the highs. It's a recipe for a huge sound, whether you want to believe it or not.

Nothing impossible about it.

Just to clarify to everybody...

I realize what I'm talking about probably isn't ideal in a mix and will probably get you dirty looks from your bass player and the sound engineer.

But if you want your CLRs, or any capable FRFR system, to sound like a big, fat, bassy guitar cab, it definitely can... It's just that most IRs cut out the bass and this is a neat way I've found to reintroduce those lost frequencies... and after trying it I'm kind of convinced that these lost frequencies are what people are really talking about when they talk about the "bigness" of cabs and such.

Last edited:
Great Green: your experience and methods will always ever be yours, and that is fine. Others may have a similar experience and agree with what you're suggesting, and others, with their unique experiences, will be more skeptical. The thing to keep in mind here is that some people are graceful (or even unconcerned) that others have found a particular happiness with the gear they are using, though they may have not found any similar happiness. Some people get emotional about their experiences and will attempt to "wet blanket" your findings - even if they are solely unique to you and you alone - due to some sort of deep seeded inner frustration, or something else that I don't understand. Don't let it bother you. =)

View attachment 19192 (if I did it right)

Using 2 active CLRs and really like what I got out of it. Set up is in my 13x14 studio.

Thanks!

thanks going to give this a try tomorrow :)
what 's the Multicomp doing?

what I find missing from FRR is the "3D- ness", or roundness that a real cab gives you.
FRFR has always felt one dimensional to me.
cliffs updates have made it better, but I don't think it's the software I think it's the actual FRFR speaker(s) or the IR's
so this really has me intrigued

Last edited:
I do think there is merit in what Great Green is saying here. The low freqs he talks about will sort of "envelope" you in this "bigness" which otherwise doesn't usually exist in many (most) FR cabinets (PA cabinets). It is implied that if you want strong reproduction of 60-100hz, you will add a subwoofer. Now, for live performance on a stage with a big PA system and powerful subwoofers, adding all of that low end may not be necessary or desirable, but this is a set of technical considerations different from the sonic "emotional needs" of the performer on stage. If a 4x12 cabinet's low end drives a sound tech crazy, then reproducing the same type of low end volume from a CLR will just be more of the same...however, you can always aim your CLR's at yourself in wedge position, which you normally couldn't do with a 4x12 cabinet.

It's added gear, but unless there is a steep high pass somewhere in the signal chain, adding a powered compact subwoofer would boost the frequencies you're describing under 110hz. Though I'm a bassist, not a guitarist, I know that this addition made all the world of difference when combined with the CLR. My pair of CLRs in conjunction with a 12" powered sub (Sub ON mode engaged in the CLRs) was absolutely scary loud and clear and full of power in the low end. It would give my 8x10 SVT cab a run for its money, and makes the experience of FRFR much more palatable IMHO.

This is fascinating stuff..... just to clarify, the routing is as per the image attached above with the signal going from amp through cab as normal with the amp also running through the filter in parallel..... correct?

Secondly, Jim, what 12" sub are you using with your CLR's?

Thanks,
D

Cool idea! I doubt many people have thought it through that far and its admirable that you are taking your time to post your findings. Your totally right about the cab thing to, IMHO. One thing about low frequencies is their lack of directionality, and this will certainly add to the impression that the 'size' is bigger. Plus, with added lows you should literally being moving more air than you would be with less lows.

On a side note, I dont get the comments about FRFR not moving enough air. Having two CLRs cranked behind you will centainly move a whole bunch of air.

One other thing to consider....

Are people using their CLRs/FRFR/ect as floor wedges or behind them like cabs? I am wondering if people are losing the coupling that happens with the room when you place a heavy cab on directly on the floor.

Cool idea!

I will give this a go.

If FAS added an PEQ to the Air parameter in the CAB block, I think it would give the same effect.

First impression: Can't honestly say that I notice that much of a difference. Might be that I'm not cranking the volume enough, gonna give it another try tomorrow. Using 2 CLRs in wedge position.

That said - I don't have much experience playing "amp-in-the-room", so I can't really say that I feel something is missing from my tone using the CLRs. It may very well be that you must first miss something in order to recognize when it's back :)

This is a recent VH preset I picked up from Rexx Axe Change -The Official Site for Fractal Audio Presets, Cabs and More and just recently started messing with it and like it. MC seems to give it an extra layer of liveliness. FRFR is just different, I know what you mean. You can do a bazillion things with it, but it's just a different animal. Personally, I've grown to like it more, and I prefer it for its control.
Btw, I have an SL2H snakeskin that is just lots of fun.

thanks going to give this a try tomorrow :)
what 's the Multicomp doing?

what I find missing from FRR is the "3D- ness", or roundness that a real cab gives you.
FRFR has always felt one dimensional to me.
cliffs updates have made it better, but I don't think it's the software I think it's the actual FRFR speaker(s) or the IR's
so this really has me intrigued

Back
Top Bottom