CLR - Wedges or Cab?

electronpirate

Axe-Master
My Atomic 50 FRFR are going on the auction block. I'm going with the CLR's.

Now Cab or Wedge? My instinct is wedges. You can always stand them up or put them on a post... And I have my present Atomics tilted anyway when I practice/play.

Opinions?

R

I have a wedge and a cab. I wish I had two wedges. As you stated, they are more versatile. I also think the wedge sounds a little better. If I do an A/B, I prefer the wedge. A while back, I had a long email thread with Tom King regarding what I observed. I was lifting the cab off the ground with a stand and even with the various settings (FF, Tilt, BL), it didn't sound as good as the wedge. I can't recall the fine details, but even though in theory, they should sound the same, there was some factor or variable that would favor the wedge.

Cabs look cooler and are an easier shape to carry on a cart with other gear. Wedges sound great.

The wedge is at a set angle that may or may not be good for you depending on your distance from them. You will definitely get ceiling reflections at home.

I use to use a piece of 3" pipe to prop mine:

E030052F-491C-46E2-B7DE-6CD33D4206A6_zpswxakovtf.jpg

But now with my new studio I went all high brow:

35C3C6F1-403F-4D7E-8815-3BC09D7CBE60_zpsrxju7sav.jpg

Wedge any day of the week and twice on sundays - as you say they have the wedge position, and you can always stand them up as a cab or put them on a post.
Furthermore I prefer the metal grill front on the wedge for protection over the fabric on the cab, and I prefer the look of the wedge too - but that's subjective.

....... I can't see any advantage in the cab:)

One advantage is that you can take an 8 space rack case, remove the rack rails, tip it on it's back, and drop the Cab in there (with some foam around the edges).
So advantage is that it is easy to get/find a road case for the cab.

You could do the same with the wedge, but it requires a 12 space I believe to drop it in the same way.
This is because the wedge sticks out in the back more (obviously).

I've had one of each side by side....they sounded almost identical.
I actually like the cab better because of the case thing I mentioned above.
Fits like a glove.

One downside of cab.....it doesn't come in Neo.

I also think (for gigging) the cab is more durable. The tolex on the cab takes some bumps without showing it. The paint on the wedge dings VERY easy.

Food for thought......

@BBNThanks for chiming in.TBH, my wedge got a bump but seemed quite resistent...I had not thought of the case, a soft case for me would be more than enough. But I can easily see how it would be easier to get one for the cab than for the wedge, if needed:)

I went Wedge's for versatility. I also went Neo's for weight relief. I couldn't be happier with either choice. I also picked up a couple hydraulic stands from Home | Frankenstand.com that I highly recommend if you want to pole mount yours. Mike Ryan (creator) actually made me a couple of custom ones at no extra cost that have a minimum height 1 foot lower than the stock stands because I sit while playing. Very cool!

4bRHc8v.jpg

Last edited:
I went Wedge's for versatility. I also went Neo's for weight relief. I couldn't be happier with either choice. I also picked up a couple hydraulic stands from Home | Frankenstand.com that I highly recommend if you want to pole mount yours. Mike Ryan (creator) actually made me a couple of custom ones at no extra cost that have a minimum height 1 foot lower than the stock stands because I sit while playing. Very cool!

4bRHc8v.jpg

Mancave!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D

I am actually moving in a couple weeks and turning this bedroom into the man cave. I'll post some pics when its complete.

fl4SkUi.jpg

...sorry for the hijack.

Go Wedge Ron! You won't regret it.

Dood, that is a cool bedroom.

Not to say my priorities need a reorder, but leave the bed and mood lighting. It's like an 80's Motley Crue 'under the stage groupie haven'.

Wedge it is. The win goes to the cobbler (not that I hadn't already decided.)

R

Dood, that is a cool bedroom.

Not to say my priorities need a reorder, but leave the bed and mood lighting. It's like an 80's Motley Crue 'under the stage groupie haven'.

Wedge it is. The win goes to the cobbler (not that I hadn't already decided.)

R

I have a KISS mancave and gets a lot of strange stares. :)

I'd go with the wedge. Perfect for practicing because you can aim it up at you and versatile enough to switch to a cab.

I think the wedge provides the most flexibility, especially if you go with the neo option. I love my pair of wedges and have used them in all three positions depending on the given situation.

Back
Top Bottom