CLR Question

According to Jay Mitchell they are "more accurate and transparent than many widely-praised studio monitors" and also...

"The Atomic CLR needs no minimum SPL in order to deliver its full sonic potential."

So based solely on Jay the answer is Yes :)

You come to that conclusion based on those vague statements? The original poster was thinking nearfield monitoring. 12" woofer + horn is no ideal solution, to say the least.

I'm not really sure where the 12" is no good for monitoring thing comes from??

Equator Q12 12" Coaxial Studio Monitor w/ Internal DSP for Matched Output, Accurate Voicing, and Room Correction.

It's the particular speaker and how it is placed in the room that determines how well it suits the purpose isn't it?

The form factor of the wedge being somewhat larger than typical nearfield monitors would be a consideration, but certainly not the performance of the CLR. It is a great speaker system.

Richard

This is what Mr. Mitchell wrote on TGP:

A horn requires depth. In addition to the HF horn, the CLR uses a horn to load the woofer. That is the only way to achieve its most desirable sonic characteristics.

Talking about NF monitoring, I too believe that a 12" mid-woofer is rather best suited for a MF (midfield) monitoring. Sonic coherence and the appropriate "air" around the cabs to let them breathe (Sorry, I can't express it better than this in English).

:)

I think in a traditional 12" two-way or three-way designed speaker where the LF (MF) and HF elements are separate and on the same plane, then distance from the speaker can be a factor.

This would place the ideal listening position farther back from the speakers than most project studios would have room for.

But the CLR is not that type of design.

This is what Mr. Mitchell wrote on TGP:

Talking about NF monitoring, I too believe that a 12" mid-woofer is rather best suited for a MF (midfield) monitoring. Sonic coherence and the appropriate "air" around the cabs to let them breathe (Sorry, I can't express it better than this in English).

:)

I think you misunderstood. The depth referred to is inside the cabinet itself not outside (length of horn).

My read of that thread on TGP has me thinking that they would be perfectly suitable as 'nearfield' monitors as they don't require a minimum spl to sound good for mixing purposes.

I had a dream....
and it has vanished from me. It is becoming evident that I shouldn't be thinking of using them to double as nearfield monitors for mixing. Would have been awesome, but makes sense given the design and size. For midfield sure but needs to placed appropriately, not 3 feet from my ears.

oh wait...my dream is coming back? maybe? just saw most recent post quoting Jay M on the subject. My read of that thread on TGP has me thinking that they would be perfectly suitable as 'nearfield' monitors as they don't require a minimum spl to sound good for mixing and will sound good at 3 ft away or 9 ft away.

Correct. Mininum SPL for mixing has nothing to do with the speaker system type.

My CLR's are about 4ft in an equllateral triangle. They sound great.

I'm still looking for stands for them though. I'm keeping my old nearfields and want some new stands for the CLR's.

Back
Top Bottom