CLR owners/users - How does it sound for bass?

ScottyB

Experienced
I would really love to have a single amp/cab for either type of gig, bass or guitar. So far it seems like all of the people that have the CLR's are quite happy with them so my question is, can the CLR be used for heavy thumping bass as well? Any current owners/users out there that have experience with using a CLR for both?

Thanks in advance...

I've played my bass through them at home, but not on a gig. They sound great and can do it with authority. I'd not hesitate to try and use them with bass at this point, but I have not done it for a gig.

I would think they'd be fine, I play bass thru my RCF NX 12 all the time (now that I finally got my hands on a bass) no problem

I've played my bass through them at home, but not on a gig. They sound great and can do it with authority. I'd not hesitate to try and use them with bass at this point, but I have not done it for a gig.
+1

Thanks for the input gentlemen. Anyone else have experience using a bass through a CLR at gig volume?

I'm trying it out at a clinic this week and will report back - based on how it handles recorded bass tracks at volume I'm surpremely confident that it'll pass with flying colors

Hey Rocket Brother, how did the test go with the CLR's?

Hey ScottyB - Sorry for the latency, I forgot about this thread, as I've been crazy busy lately.

So how did the CLR's fare with bass - in a word - outstanding !

This was not in a blaring high volume context, but still quite loud.
We are on tour with the full band, and I'll try to find a good time shortly for the bassist to play through it at really (insane rock 'n roll) loud volume and report back.

I've lived with the CLR's for some time now and I'm using them in a lot of different contexts, and they continue to impress the hell out of me.
I'm gearing up to write an in depth review, which will be posted here probably at the ending of May.

RB

ScottyB,

We played in our bassists home town today, and he had a few of his old friends come over to spend the day with him before we went on stage.
As 2 of them were also bassists I got the 3 of them try out the Axe II + CLR combination for bass.
I must admit that I was totally floored by the tones these guys got from a simple amp (SV) + cab (SV 4x10) preset we threw together in 1-2 minutes, and only tweaked a minute or so for each bassist when they switched.

Our bassist in an incredible musician, one of the best I've ever played with, and does classic rock and R&B like nobody else I've ever played with.
His friends both play really well and play semi-professionally in local bands.
One of them played mostly funk and he did a lot of slap bass, the other played more in a jazzy-fussion style.
Between the 3 of them and our bassists P-bass with a Musicman style bridge humbugger and his J-bass they covered quite a few styles and sounds.
We turned the CLR's up LOUD, way louder than we'd ever have our stage volume, even at a loud gig.
My ears were starting to hurt and we had to turn it down a few notches.
The CLR took whatever we threw at it without breaking up or farting out.

Our bassist was loving the sound, and just couldn't believe what he was hearing.
He had that look on his face, and I'm guessing that he'll be selling that monster heavy and big rig with a 8x10 cab he has now and get an Axe II and a CLR instead shortly.

I was so inspired by the bass sounds we got so effortlessly from my rig that I'm selling my middle of the road P-bass, and am ordering a masterbuild Sandberg with the MM/P-bass combination instead.

ScottyB,

We played in our bassists home town today, and he had a few of his old friends come over to spend the day with him before we went on stage.
As 2 of them were also bassists I got the 3 of them try out the Axe II + CLR combination for bass.
I must admit that I was totally floored by the tones these guys got from a simple amp (SV) + cab (SV 4x10) preset we threw together in 1-2 minutes, and only tweaked a minute or so for each bassist when they switched.

Our bassist in an incredible musician, one of the best I've ever played with, and does classic rock and R&B like nobody else I've ever played with.
His friends both play really well and play semi-professionally in local bands.
One of them played mostly funk and he did a lot of slap bass, the other played more in a jazzy-fussion style.
Between the 3 of them and our bassists P-bass with a Musicman style bridge humbugger and his J-bass they covered quite a few styles and sounds.
We turned the CLR's up LOUD, way louder than we'd ever have our stage volume, even at a loud gig.
My ears were starting to hurt and we had to turn it down a few notches.
The CLR took whatever we threw at it without breaking up or farting out.

Our bassist was loving the sound, and just couldn't believe what he was hearing.
He had that look on his face, and I'm guessing that he'll be selling that monster heavy and big rig with a 8x10 cab he has now and get an Axe II and a CLR instead shortly.

I was so inspired by the bass sounds we got so effortlessly from my rig that I'm selling my middle of the road P-bass, and am ordering a masterbuild Sandberg with the MM/P-bass combination instead.

This is really good to know. Thanks for this. Did any them use a 5 string bass?

Wow... With that being said above I could see two pair of cabinet CLR's being used as a small PA setup in small clubs. If it can handle bass that well it should be able to handle being used as PA speakers in a small setting with no issues. Any thoughts you want to share with this?

This is really good to know. Thanks for this. Did any them use a 5 string bass?

4 String bass only, but absolutely no problems.

Wow... With that being said above I could see two pair of cabinet CLR's being used as a small PA setup in small clubs. If it can handle bass that well it should be able to handle being used as PA speakers in a small setting with no issues. Any thoughts you want to share with this?

It is absolutely doable - I've done this at clinics where I used 2 CLR's for PA duties and one CLR as a personal monitor.
Check this thread on that subject.
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/amps-cabs/68641-clr-vs-pa-full-swap.html

I'm gearing up to write an in depth review on the CLR's, the review will amongst other subjects include the use of CLR's as a PA, for electric and acoustic guitar and for bass.
I'll also contrast/compare them to a group of studio monitors and some other active stage monitors.
To keep this in the Fractal lingo, the review with be here...... soon :)

4 String bass only, but absolutely no problems.

It is absolutely doable - I've done this at clinics where I used 2 CLR's for PA duties and one CLR as a personal monitor.
Check this thread on that subject.
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/amps-cabs/68641-clr-vs-pa-full-swap.html

I'm gearing up to write an in depth review on the CLR's, the review will amongst other subjects include the use of CLR's as a PA, for electric and acoustic guitar and for bass.
I'll also contrast/compare them to a group of studio monitors and some other active stage monitors.
To keep this in the Fractal lingo, the review with be here...... soon :)

Awesome! Can't wait for the review.

Back
Top Bottom