CLR Neodymium Active Wedge - first impressions.

funny_polymath

Fractal Fanatic
Well, I've only been playing it for a few hours, but already I like it better than my previous 'best' setup: a Matrix GT1000FX 2U into a fEARFULL FRFR enclosure). Sturdy, well thought out for the most part (why no power on and clipping LEDs on the front?), LIGHT, and sounds... better. Can't exactly say how. More throaty, 'ampy' somewhat - even though we're talking FRFR here.

The three switch settings are interesting. I wish there were a setting in-between the thinner backline setting and the fatter, bassier tilt and free field settings - I'd love to split the difference. I will probably be using this in backline mode most often live, in tilt mode most in the studio (for playing with feedback etc.), so this presents a small problem - because I feel the equalization is too different. So, I may have a PEQ in a scene set for each to compensate.

Most amazing to me is the clarity. When I read about how a class D amp works, it sounds like a trainwreck, a Rube Goldberg apparatus, but, in truth, it sounds damn good!

I still need to put my viola, 88 key piano and other things through it to make sure it'll do all I need it to do, but if it passes those tests, then the only issue is robustness: will it take abuse on the road? I think I'll bring my Mackie SR450 as a backup, just in case.

Reactions: sam
Doesn't your SRM450 have a class D amplifier?

I'd also like to hear your impressions of the CLR with music through it.

Play your favorite mixed CD through your AxFX, via USB ( if you have 2 CLR's...)... it's jaw-dropping...

What do you use for a preset for playing your favorite mixed CD through your AxFX, via USB?

Is it just a straight shunt preset? Is it in stereo? I'd try this tonight with a little guidance. :encouragement:

set you playback device to be the Axe Fx II and I don't think the preset matters ( you can always go to the bypass which is empty)

It may have - I bought it over 10 years ago, but I was comparing the Matrix to the Atomic. The 450 isn't bad - I mean, it's do-able, but it ain't as good as either of the other two options I've used.
Doesn't your SRM450 have a class D amplifier?

I'd also like to hear your impressions of the CLR with music through it.

Well, I don't have a pair, and I haven't put music through them. it'd be interesting to compare my Equator D8s to it, since they're both coincident. Maybe I'll hook up one channel to each and take a listen.
How do these compare to higher end studio monitors in sound quality? They are in the same price range, right?

Get a soft case for it. The finish chips very easily. Otherwise it has been very SOLID :)

+1. The finish on these is pretty bad. If you like the road worn stage look, don't cover them. Personally, I don't care if they get dinged up as long as the innards keep working but the aesthetics definitely count for some people.

Has anyone done a conversion from the standard CLRs to the Neos? I love my standard CLRs but the weight is killing my back. I've tried emailing Tom a couple of times but have had no response.

How do these compare to higher end studio monitors in sound quality? They are in the same price range, right?

They compete. They are flat and if that's what you want, that's what you'll get. However, as I've noted in a previous thread, be aware of the wide dispersion, size, and lack of "smile". I think they are best suited for their intended purpose which is aimed at FRFR guitar but certainly have the specs to match mid-range studio monitors.

Scott Peterson says he compared both side to side & they sounded the same. I had mine upgraded to the neos so I wasn't able to hear them side by side but I swear the neos have a more rubbery, low mid thing happening. Anyone else who has had both hear this?

Has anyone done a conversion from the standard CLRs to the Neos? I love my standard CLRs but the weight is killing my back. I've tried emailing Tom a couple of times but have had no response.

Do it. The weight difference is substantial without changing the sound. I've heard them side by side and handled them at the same time. There's no question in my mind that the Neo's are worth it.

Well, I don't have a pair, and I haven't put music through them. it'd be interesting to compare my Equator D8s to it, since they're both coincident. Maybe I'll hook up one channel to each and take a listen.

Put some music through it even if it's mono.
The CLR will handle music, your viola and keys just as well as it's handling guitar - they are great FRFR monitors and I use mine for backing tracks/music, keys, vocals, electrics, acoustics and bass, the CLRs are great for all of those.
Regarding the robustness, the CLR can take the rigours of touring no problem, my 3 CLRs have been extensively road tested and haven't made a hiccup, nor are they banged up as I borrowed a road case that fits them from a friend.
The CLRs are a lot more roadworthy than your 450, and if you do an A/B test between them, I'm sure you'll instantly be able to tell they are worlds apart sound quality wise.

Oh, yes, the CLR is worlds apart from my 450! But my cheap 450's served me for 5 years of gigs, first with my Ultra, then with my IIm before I went Matrix, and now, Atomic, and they sufficed - but then again, I am sort of an 'electronic guitarist', using odd effects and techniques to experimental ends - sort of a 'studio' approach. I am sure they would have blown for a hi-gain shredder.
Put some music through it even if it's mono.
The CLR will handle music, your viola and keys just as well as it's handling guitar - they are great FRFR monitors and I use mine for backing tracks/music, keys, vocals, electrics, acoustics and bass, the CLRs are great for all of those.
Regarding the robustness, the CLR can take the rigours of touring no problem, my 3 CLRs have been extensively road tested and haven't made a hiccup, nor are they banged up as I borrowed a road case that fits them from a friend.
The CLRs are a lot more roadworthy than your 450, and if you do an A/B test between them, I'm sure you'll instantly be able to tell they are worlds apart sound quality wise.

Back
Top Bottom