CLR Mk II versus and blended with Friedman asm

cragginshred

Fractal Fanatic
I got my Mk II CLR yesterday and had 10 minutes with em at lunch then well over an hour last night.
I immediately noticed how clear and articulate the notes were with a wide dispersion of sound -used in the monitor tilt position. Side note I did have a CLR cab version years ago and loved it....like a dummy sold it.

I played with it alone and tweaked my pre sets a little. Formerly used two asm's which are noted for being bass heavy which they are but I noticed a very pronounced and full bass response from the CLR in my Asm designed pre sets. On my FAS brwn amp based models this actually presented as a bit flubby compared to being a little 'tighter' in the asm, still need to tweak it in the CLR to find the right balance between MV/Gain and bass/Depth settings to suit the CLR.

The 5153 red ch is the main hard rock tone I was using for these tonal tests (video coming). With the 5153 pre sets the CLR sounded very pleasing right off the bat with a little decrease in depth and bass needed but not much to keep that tight sound I had with the asms. So the next step at lunch I blended the asm with the CLR.. As I routed the two asm's 'linking' them is how I initially set this up. At lunch I walked away thing wow the clr sounds so much better than the asm, then back at work I was thinking I better try send an xlr straight to the asm to see what I heard -much better! The asm was much less noticeably different not linking the two via -not sure why but it was -ideas?

Brass tacks assessment is -the two blend really well together offering a full sonic spectrum with the Clr a little more 'present' in the upper mids and the asm sounding a little more cab like =a little less articulate in the upper mids but still really good sounding providing more low end which rounds out my tone really well.

Moving the two is a no brainer -at almost twice the weight and really bulky to move the asm's need to be left where you opt to set them in a rehearsal space. The Mk II neo is easy to grab and go with a side handle and really convenient to lift and carry.

The kicker is Mic from Xitone is shipping my light weight monitor Friday so I will add it's flavor to this tonal analysis in a week or so. These are the top 3 frfr's so hopefully this helps you all make an informed decision. I am psyched to have all 3 in my studio and have a full array of tonal mojo!

Merry Christmas Fractal peeps!

Don

Thanks for the comparison review, Don.

I already have the Neos, and have always been interested in the ASM's and the Xitones, so I'm really looking forward to hearing how they all stack up against each other.

Sounds on par with my experiences. They can sound different, depending on the material, but both still sound good.

I do notice much better dispersion with the CLR, and for lack of a better term "depth" or "3D" in the sound. For example, I get the sensation that a clean tone with lots of reverb sounds like it is coming deep from within the cabinet, while on my ASM it sounded like the sound was coming from the speaker right in front of me, with the sound of reverb, if that makes any sense.

I don't know if maybe that has something to do with the coaxial design ? I switched my studio monitors to coaxial Prosonus Scepters and they too seem to have a bit more sense of "depth" in the mix, not just l/r separation, but certain sounds in a mix can sound a bit more, again for lack of a better word, "3d".

As such, on clean stuff I really like the CLR better, very revealing sound. On harder stuff, I think the ASM sounds more pleasing, as it does have a little more cab vibe, however, I think the CLR is more accurate overall and tighter. With a little EQ I can adjust the CLR to have a little more low/mid bump, and make it sound like the ASM, but, I think that is a little less flat/accurate.

In a nutshell, I'd say the ASM is designed with a nod to sound "good", especially for hard rock tones (though it can certainly do other stuff fine). The CLR just sounds clear/tight/accurate with anything

Back
Top Bottom