CLR might be in my future........ ?

WERNER1

Inspired
So about a year ago I did a ton of research on the "Best" powered FRFR Speaker for "My" needs...

At that time it seemed to be a toss up between the CLR and the Xitone.. I never did bite the bullet on this as I mostly run FOH and use IEM's ... BUT, I did want to have something in place for the inbetween times where I need an "Amp" or Monitor on stage.

Turns out I found a CLR available for a great price (Older non-Neo version) but it was about 5 hrs away. Now as luck would have it, I'll actually be in that area coming up here soon and I'm thinking pretty strongly about picking it up.

I understand that CLR doesn't have the best customer support and that Xitone excels in that area,.. but ... is there any reason I should reconsider this purchase..?

Thanks
Rick

CLR (Atomic Amps) has pretty good customer service! I just contacted them a few weeks ago and got a reply shorty after.
On top of that, they sent me a follow up email to make sure if everything went well!
A+++

Last edited:
I love my CLR Neo and prefer to the other 4 similar products I have tried. I feel like I heard there are reliability issues before the Neo. You may want to check that out.

Thanks for the replies guys! Hopefully I'll be picking it up this weekend :cool:

addedc - what sort of "Reliability issues"?

Does anybody know if there are any "Audio" differences between the Neo and non-Neo versions? ... like differences in the perceived output sound? ... just curious.

it's heavy.

It’s lighter and better ergonomically to carry than many other frfr and/or combo amp options though

I can carry my clr easily enough with one hand, while my ASM-12 was difficult, as are many 1x12 combo amps, much less something like a twin lol.

I think the CLR non-neo is 38 pounds, and the neo is 31lbs? Meaningful difference for sure, but if it’s lIke $400+ difference in a used older one vs new neo, I’d be okay with 7 extra pounds for $400, unless I had to carry it a long distance every single day.

I’m lucky that I move mine like twice a year lol

It's heavy(ish) but totally manageable. I am super late to the party but I love it. Glad I did the upgrade.

Bah...I carry my CLR in one hand, AX8 on pedal train in soft case in the other hand and guitar over my shoulder...easy peasy.
For long distance load-ins I have a collapsible cart which folds flat for storage.
660142000483_ca.jpg

There are two versions of the Neo. Mark I is the same as the non-neo except for the weight (sound differences later). The Neo Mark II has a redesigned amplifier section, and is a little bit louder than either of the Mark I's (neo or non-neo). The non-neo's sound VERY slightly different. The non-neo's are a little warmer sounding in the low-mids and very minutely smoother in the low-mids and lows. Highs are identical. I have a very finely tuned ear and could hear the difference, but it was VERY small. Not worth picking one over the other for just that. You would need to A/B them side by side to hear the difference. Most people would not hear the difference even then.

Jay (CLR designer) is reportedly creating a new powered monitor that will be heading to market at some point in the future. Might be worth it to wait for that as well?

Important to note that they never made a Neo in a cab format and have stopped making cab version all together now. I prefer the cab version and I had both. The cab version was finished in tolex and the wedge was not. My wedge got a few scuffs real easy and to this day the cab is scuff less

There are two versions of the Neo. Mark I is the same as the non-neo except for the weight (sound differences later). The Neo Mark II has a redesigned amplifier section, and is a little bit louder than either of the Mark I's (neo or non-neo). The non-neo's sound VERY slightly different. The non-neo's are a little warmer sounding in the low-mids and very minutely smoother in the low-mids and lows. Highs are identical. I have a very finely tuned ear and could hear the difference, but it was VERY small. Not worth picking one over the other for just that. You would need to A/B them side by side to hear the difference. Most people would not hear the difference even then.

That's good to know!

Thanks again for all of the replies and info on this!!!

I will only be using this "on occasion",... so maybe a few times a year playing out...? I will however utilize it at home to compare between my IEM's and the CLR .. I'm VERY curious to see how my presets translate between the two different sources.. :speakerthree:

The pricing on this is very good on this particular one,.... so it's probably the most important part of this decision at this point ;)

I've been using a couple of pairs of Ultimate Ears Triplefi 10's ... they've actually been pretty darn good... maybe someday I'll upgrade to something hi-end'ish ...

Those UE TripleFi are good, several in my band have used them for years. I also have a CLR Neo MkII and it sounds good, and has good options for adding a second source. I used that recently on a very small stage instead of having a separate guitar and band monitor. Not optimal, but totally workable on that rare occasion. I still favor the tone of my RCF NX12SMA, but doubt you could tell a difference if not A/Bing them together. The CLR is a great speaker, jump on the deal. :)

Thanks for the replies guys! Hopefully I'll be picking it up this weekend :cool:

addedc - what sort of "Reliability issues"?

I have owned powered FRFR systems from a couple of manufacturers and on several of them, the power modules failed. In both cases the manufacturer fixed for free and if not, I think they are about $50. I vaguely recall that was an issue with earlier CLRs but I could be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom