Close to pushing the button, some Christmas questions...

Mewcenary

Hi,

I'm close to pushing the button on the Axe-FX II as it is sounding great. I had a POD XT (used live a few times, and for home recording) and more recently the POD HD500. Right now, I'm just doing bedroom studio stuff but looking to get in a band again. As a result, I partly regret getting the HD500 in its floorboard form factor because it doesn't have 'tweakability' of something sitting on the desk next to you. Certainly great value for money though. That's partly why the time is 'right' for the Axe-FX 2, because swapping the HD500 for the rackmount edition is going to cost me money too...

For amplification, I have a trusty old Marshall Valvestate 8080 which, touch wood, has survived all this time with no faults other than me snapping the occasional knob off it! Pod goes into the 'Effects Return'.

I'd probably start with getting just the Axe-FX II and a suitable 2U (maybe 4U for future expansion?) rack bag. If things worked out, I would get the MFC-101, some form of Matrix power amp + cabinet.... (when in a band again!!)

Anyway, the questions!

1. Let's say I start rehearsing without the MFC-101. How easy is it to switch patches when in that situation? In particular, to turn individual effects on and off? For example: I'm using a 'Lead' patch but want to switch in the chorus effect? Sounds like Scenes would do this, so how easy is it to switch scenes as well?

2. I'm mostly using headphones when playing at home via the HD500. Presume an appropriately good sound can be got from the Axe-FX in this situation too?

3. If applicable, tell me why you GOT RID OF your Axe FX. I know some people here may qualify for that as I've seen it come up before. Call this some form of balance given I've read so many great things on this forum, and I'd be interested in hearing the reasons why it didn't work out for some people.

Anything else I should know?

Merry Christmas :)

I partly regret getting the HD500 in its floorboard form factor because it doesn't have 'tweakability' of something sitting on the desk next to you.

I don't agree, i think it doesn't meter where the unit is as its much faster easier and accessible to use the PC editor

1.Let's say I start rehearsing without the MFC-101. How easy is it to switch patches when in that situation? In particular, to turn individual effects on and off? For example: I'm using a 'Lead' patch but want to switch in the chorus effect? Sounds like Scenes would do this, so how easy is it to switch scenes as well?

Not easy, you can swap a preset by just turning the big wheel but ON/OFF for FX is under editing the preset.
But way not using the HD500 as a midi controller ??? I did it before when I paired the HD (FX only) together with my TriAxis, worked 100%, no reason way you can't use it only as a midi board, use a standard 5 pin midi cable.
Also, you can define switches to IA etc…

2.I'm mostly using headphones when playing at home via the HD500. Presume an appropriately good sound can be got from the Axe-FX in this situation too?

Headphones gives a total different sound (in my case) then actual amp + cabinet, I never use headphones to tweak a preset.

3.If applicable, tell me why you GOT RID OF your Axe FX. I know some people here may qualify for that as I've seen it come up before. Call this some form of balance given I've read so many great things on this forum, and I'd be interested in hearing the reasons why it didn't work out for some people.
I "got rid" of the ULTRA to finance the II.

I sold my Ultra to get the II.
Never regretted selling the Ultra. I loved the Ultra and I think there is nothing like it within the market at any price range except for the Axe FxII.
You'll love it.

I have played a bit of Line 6, not too much have tried it and all. I think you answer about the foot controller has been answered in the previous post. But I must say the MFC is such a phenomenal companion of the Axe FxII.
Changing stuff on the MFC couldn't be easier now,specially with the scenes feature man.

For me, a good pair of headphones work fine in a home setting. I just plug in and go. From what I've read, playing live and tweaking presets for that is another story.

I went ahead and got the MFC along with the AXE. I did this because I had no experience with MIDI/Modeling, and the two are designed to work together. I didn't know where my AXE rig was going to take me, but I knew I didn't want any roadblocks, so I went for it. Obviously other controllers will work. Check the forum for details.

From a bit of research, looks like I could use Scenes to do the effects on/off stuff, and select them easily with the 'A' knob. Clever.

Appreciate using the HD500 as a MIDI controller (and double up as a spare) though. More likely it will be sold as part of the finance though!

I don't always have the HD500 running through my laptop. I fully agree that is the best way of tweaking it, but I do like having a device facing me for tweaking when just jamming away, and the rackmount units have that form factor for me.

Back
Top Bottom