Clipping Question

Kdogg14

I play a lot of tight heavy metal riffing and the output clip light hardly ever goes on. However, when I am jamming I look the the output bars and they do hit the red every so often. Is this ok? I do pick hard.

the output clip light should never come on. this is different from the INPUT meters, where an occasional clip is ok. output clipping actually loses data. (i think there is a bit of headroom, but they really shouldn't ever clip.)

simply turn down the amp level on the patch that clips. you may have to adjust your other patches down that much too.

the output knobs on the front panel do not affect output clipping, they only control the total level coming out of the axe and supplied to the next thing in the signal path. again, the clipping is due to the levels in the blocks in your preset.

the output clip light should never come on. this is different from the INPUT meters, where an occasional clip is ok. output clipping actually loses data. (i think there is a bit of headroom, but they really shouldn't ever clip.)

simply turn down the amp level on the patch that clips. you may have to adjust your other patches down that much too.

the output knobs on the front panel do not affect output clipping, they only control the total level coming out of the axe and supplied to the next thing in the signal path. again, the clipping is due to the levels in the blocks in your preset.

That's what I thought. Thank You.

Its suggested that you set your input level to "tickle the red" on your hardest hits/strokes.

I thouht we where talking output level clip. I meassured my output with an oscilloscope and found clipping
Slightly before the red light went on (that was fw 5.04) .
Conclusion , it should never light up.

I've noticed on some of Tyler's awesome videos his output clip light turns on. I could be mistaken.... Still sounds great to me though lol. I personally have mine set to never clip the output. I would imagine its better safe then sorry.

Back
Top Bottom