Cliff - What happened to the Active/Passive Depth & Presence option in the Amp Block?

shredi knight

Power User
Sorry if this has been discussed, or if it's covered in the release notes (didn't see it), but I can't find this feature in the amp block. Was it removed. If so, why?

Thanks.

Sorry if this has been discussed, or if it's covered in the release notes (didn't see it), but I can't find this feature in the amp block. Was it removed. If so, why?

Thanks.

When you edit an amp, it is just to the right of the "Depth" knob. Hopefully that is what you are talking about.

i don't see it. shredi is talking about the

PRES/DEPTH TYPE: Passive, Active, Active Pres, Active Depth

in the Amp Advanced menu. my v9 axe has it, my v10 doesn't.

Are you guys using edit or the front pannel? Sadly I've only been using axe edit so I'm not sure how to manually get to it. But it is in there and it is awesome!

When you edit an amp, it is just to the right of the "Depth" knob. Hopefully that is what you are talking about.

Nope (that's the new "Dyn Depth" parameter)

i don't see it. shredi is talking about the

PRES/DEPTH TYPE: Passive, Active, Active Pres, Active Depth

in the Amp Advanced menu. my v9 axe has it, my v10 doesn't.

Yep

Are you guys using edit or the front pannel? Sadly I've only been using axe edit so I'm not sure how to manually get to it. But it is in there and it is awesome!

Front panel

As far as I can tell by poking around w/ sysex, the v10 firmware still has the Amp block PresDepthType param, but it is hidden in both AE and on the front panel. Instead of the original four settings, the new PresDepthType parameter provides 19 settings, corresponding to 18 different amp types plus one setting called 'Ideal'.

I remember Cliff posted, maybe in the FRN, that he removed repetitive and unnecessary controls in the amp block.... maybe those were the ones he was referring to..?

Yes it certainly not there anymore. I rather liked active depth.

I always used it when I had the Axe-Fx Standard because I found the Passive Depth to be very muddy sounding. The Active Depth seemed cleaner and tighter, and not really muddy at all. With the Axe II, I was using the Passive Depth on my main patches, but only a tiny bit because these patches all used a Tone-Match block that added most of the "thump" and fullness I wanted already (and because I had the Depth type set to passive when I created the Tone-Match, so it's sound was integrated into the match). With 10.00, these patches lost a lot of that "thump" and turning the Depth up more to get it back makes them sound very muddy. In it's place, I tried using the new "Thunk" parameter, but it doesn't really work as a substitute.

I wanted to try using the Active Depth because I knew I could turn it up quite a bit without it getting muddy. That's when I saw that it had apparently been removed.

Well maybe give it a shot without it? V10 axe 2 is a long way away from the axe standard. Many other places to adjust that EQ range.

...which I see you are trying!

Back
Top Bottom