Cliff has reinvented the wheel

paullypj

Inspired
I think I can say this with certainty, Cliff has reinvented the wheel and who knows where this is headed , industry shake up no doubt. Cliff is doing to the guitar amplifier industry what the internet did to the global economy. Maybe this is hyperbole and over the top but think about it for a second why would anyone buy anything else.

Yep (to Yek's response). My son just spent several months saving every dime he could make and selling off one of his favorite guitars (Hagstrom) so he finally afford to spend just under $1000 for an AC30 with the exact speakers, wiring, etc. that he wanted. That and 3 or so pedals (that's exactly 3 more than Angus EVER uses btw) and he's happy as a pig in new mud. He also is fond of telling me how much better it sounds than my AxeFx which he has only heard through my studio monitors.

I disagree with him and would love to show him what it can do through a "can get equally loud" FRFR setup, etc. but I can't afford that in addition to the >$2000 I spent to get the Ultra, not to mention the pedal board to drive it. I currently use my old TonelabSE for that, but would definitely prefer something nicer.

The AxeFX setup I would prefer compared to the setup he prefers are priced quite differently... and his is a LOT cheaper overall. And, in fairness to him, his setup sounds stellar, albeit with far less choices.

Don't want to hijack the thread, but I was just gonna post asking if it's possible to use the Tonelab SE for a midi controller. Gerald, is that working out for you?

Works fine.

I can switch between patches, turn effects on / off within a patch, map the volume and wah, etc. Easily meets my needs. Just took a bit of study to understand how to map all the midi stuff. Plus, it's built like a tank and, were my Ultra to crap out unexpectedly, it is a pretty decent backup story as I can run it straight to the PA just like I do the AxeFx.

Thanks Gerald. It's one of the things I was gonna sale to get the ax2, but I wont be doing that now. Mapping all the midi will be a huge study for me also.

Lucky to have stumbled upon this thread, as I too have a TonelabSE left un-used thanks to the axe-fx. I do like the usability of the Tonelab, and will definitely try using it as a controller for the ultra, thanks Gerald! And it does sound decent through my matrix.. :)

Reinvented the wheel?.....more like discovered time travel and faster than light intergalactic teleportation.

Last edited:
In the engineering field re-inventing the wheel typically means you wasted a lot of time so I am not sure that is the best way to describe it. But I get what you mean ;).

I think he has done something I never thought I would see happen, and that is make using a modeler "cool".

For me I can't go back anymore. That week or so between when I sold my Ultra to when I picked up the Standard to tide me over sucked so bad. For a home studio there just is no substitute.

In the engineering field re-inventing the wheel typically means you wasted a lot of time so I am not sure that is the best way to describe it. But I get what you mean ;).
Thanks for that. :)

I think the long tail on guitar amps will be very long. Guitarists are some of the most conservative people in the world. As more kids are brought up in a time where a cheap modeling amp can get them more options, more people will accept digital amps. It won't be the massive shakeup that the internet has been though.

Money is one of the most important reasons...
Good one... Also:
Because as cool as the II is, lots of other units out there are actually quite good as well
Because plugins are improving rapidly and are much easier to replace, drop in, and cheaper.
Because some people may have different requirements with regard to weight/portability/foot control.
Because some people find their familiar units are good enough.
Because some people don't want to "tweak" and want a simpler unit
Because people have a setup that works and they don't want to fix it if its not broken
Because some people simply do not want a modeler.
Because some people enjoy the tactile aesthetic of more traditional gear.
Because (gasp) some people actually think a different unit sounds/feels/plays better
Because someday there will be an AxeFx III, Kemper II, POD HD++, 12 Rack, etc.
<etc,etc,etc,>

As a Fractal fan, I share your excitement regarding the new product but the the kool aid around here is getting pretty f*cking thick. The G1 units were the revolution. G2 is the evolution. Actually the POD was probably the real revolution.

Last edited:
Good one... Also:
Because as cool as the II is, lots of other units out there are actually quite good as well
Because plugins are improving rapidly and are much easier to replace, drop in, and cheaper.
Because some people may have different requirements with regard to weight/portability/foot control.
Because some people find their familiar units are good enough.
Because some people don't want to "tweak" and want a simpler unit
Because people have a setup that works and they don't want to fix it if its not broken
Because some people simply do not want a modeler.
Because some people enjoy the tactile aesthetic of more traditional gear.
Because (gasp) some people actually think a different unit sounds/feels/plays better
Because someday there will be an AxeFx III, Kemper II, POD HD++, 12 Rack, etc.
<etc,etc,etc,>

As a Fractal fan, I share your excitement regarding the new product but the the kool aid around here is getting pretty f*cking thick. The G1 units were the revolution. G2 is the evolution. Actually the POD was probably the real revolution.

Interesting.
The Axe Fx is without question a great product and probably most people feel it does more things better than other modelers and plug ins, and the Axe Fx II is by all accounts an enhancement.
That said, other products were already quite good and being used by world class musicians. The Axe Fx was not the revolution. Agree- the Line 6 stuff in the late 90's was.

Good one...
<etc,etc,etc,>

no way. Pearce and Scholz kick POD's shitty kool aid ass :)

After a google search I assumed you meant him, but thanks for the confirmation. I've heard of his amps, but never touched / heard one.

Back
Top Bottom