(Cliff) A new idea?: Correct the CAB IR for the physical CAB

yyz67

Fractal Fanatic
Cliff and all,

It seems theoretically possible to get closer to the Axe CAB settings with a non-FRFR speaker/cab by taking the CAB setting IR minus the "physical CAB IR". Schematically:

Guitar -> Axe (<CAB setting IR> minus <physical CAB IR>) -> physical speaker cabinet

This wouldn't be perfect, but might allow using cab settings with non-FRFR cabinets. Of course if a physical CAB rolls off high/low freqs these can't be recovered per se, but in the operating freq range, it might work.

Anyone have any idea if this could work, or do the IR parameters not work this way?

This has been discussed before. It can only work if/when EQ would work just as well, and the corrective IR would be specific to not only a particular speaker/cab combination, but to a specific position relative to that cab. At any other position than the one at which the corrective IR was taken, it will not correct the response and may in fact make the response worse.

I guess if one were close-miking the CAB, then a near-field IR could work, but in general I guess I would assume far-field IRs since we all listen to our rigs farther away than 0-1 foot. But if the exact position matters even for far field IRs, then I guess this doesn't work.

Like you said, maybe EQ-ing would get in the ballpark if there was a way to easily measure and then input a GEQ set to flatten the response of the CAB. It would be awesome if there could be a tool/utility to measure this (say with a known mic response, say like a 57) and recalibrate a GEQ in the Axe.

But maybe it's just too complex and it's a matter of tuning by ear?

Back
Top Bottom