Cleartone strings customer service = great!

Jiffzillla

Experienced
I know we all appreciate the level of customer service that we receive from Fractal Audio Systems, so I thought I'd give some love to another company who went above and beyond with me recently.

At the suggestion of a friend of mine who is a salesperson at Guitar Center, I started using Cleartone strings a couple of years ago. (Was using D'Addario) I really liked the way the Cleartone strings sounded and they had the advantage of being coated, (promoting longer string life) but they didn't sound like they were coated. I was very pleased with them all the way around. So after deciding that I was switching brands, I bought about 15 sets or so. When I was getting down to the last couple sets, I went back to GC and bought about 12-15 more sets of strings. I seemed to notice that the newer sets seemed to feel a little stiffer than the sets I had originally bought. (The B string in particular) It almost felt like they were about 1/2 a gauge heavier than they should have been.

I posted about this on Cleartone's Facebook page. Not a complaint though. Really just putting out feelers and seeing if anyone else had a similar experience. A few hours later, I received a message from Joe Iacobellis. A Cleartone rep. He had read my post and wanted to make up for the trouble I'd had. He asked for my address and said he'd send me some strings. I sent him a message back with my address and thanked him for his attention to my post. But also told him that it really wasn't necessary. A couple days later, I went out my front door and there was a package on my doorstep from Cleartone strings. I opened the package and Joe had sent me 12 sets of strings!! Easily over $150 worth of strings. Just awesome. I was very happy and incredibly grateful for the gesture. I sent Joe another message to thank him and asked if I could post about my experience online. (I asked for permission because I didn't want people to think that a complaint = free strings. LOL) He said it was absolutely fine if I shared my experience with others. So there it is, folks. More awesome customer service in 2010. Who would have thought?

If you find yourself wanting to try another brand of strings, give the Cleartones a shot. They ARE great strings, but they back 'em up too! :D

I tried Cleartones. I replaced the strings on all my guitars with Cleartones. Initially I felt they they were kind of brittle / stiff. I had a couple of weird breaks like between the tuning machine and the nut. They just snapped there on a whole step bend shortly after stringing them up.

I didn't give me a favorable impression. However I haven't had that issue again and Cleartones are still on all my guitars.

The next time I change out I will probably try something else.

I don't notice the coating as much as the Elixirs so I thought that was a plus.

Not saying they are good or bad... the jury is still out for me. But it is good to know about their customer service.

awesome...thanks for the post...not to derail... what are your thoughts vs elixirs? i've used elixirs for the last 5-6 years... i generally wear off the coating where i pick, before the strings wear out.

dpeterson said:
awesome...thanks for the post...not to derail... what are your thoughts vs elixirs? i've used elixirs for the last 5-6 years... i generally wear off the coating where i pick, before the strings wear out.

Y'know, dpeterson, I can't tell you just yet. As it is, I use the Cleartones .10-.46 on all my electric guitars. I'm still using Elixers on my two acoustic guitars. A Taylor 614ce and an Alvarez FD-60. Mainly, I'm using the Elixers because I had bought a bunch of them a while back and I'm just now getting down to the last sets now. I will be trying the Cleartones on my acoustics after I use my last set of Elixers though. After getting all those free strings, it's the least I can do. I have no doubt that they'll sound great. I do have the same issue with the coating flaking off the strings as you do with the Elixers. Not a deal breaker for me, but it can get a little messy. I have not had any of those kind of issues with the Cleartones. I'll let you know how the Cleartone acoustic strings work out though.

Jiffzillla said:
I do have the same issue with the coating flaking off the strings as you do with the Elixers.
That's one of the main reasons I stopped using them. I used to have to buff that stuff off of my Gibbys with an electric buffer. It stuck to them like glue. I think it was either the type of paint Gibson used, or it's like everything else I touch. My sweat just didn't mesh with anything at all, especially metal, so I can only imagine what it does to a soft waxy coating. Almost all of my non-Poly painted guitars cloud up around where I rest my hand within weeks of owning them.

I also didn't really like the way Elixers felt, but the flaking was just disgusting.

The only reason I used them in the first place is that they gave me a whole bunch of them for free. :cool:

$11+ for strings? Not me.

Guitar-Tiz said:
Almost all of my non-Poly painted guitars cloud up around where I rest my hand within weeks of owning them.

Just curious...how many non-poly guitars do you have? While I'm still wondering...how many poly guitars do you have?
scratch.gif

-<MACHINE>- said:
[quote="Guitar-Tiz":5xzrxmtj] Almost all of my non-Poly painted guitars cloud up around where I rest my hand within weeks of owning them.

Just curious...how many non-poly guitars do you have? While I'm still wondering...how many poly guitars do you have?
scratch.gif
[/quote:5xzrxmtj]
Just curious, why does it matter?

Even though I feel this is some attempt to start an argument, about what, I don't know, but I'll bite anyway...

I currently do not own any non-poly painted guitar's.

I currently own 2 guitars painted with polyurethane.

I also have a bass painted with polyurethane, and I don't know what my acoustic is panted with, but seeing how it was a super cheap guitar (I paid $50 for it) I'd say polyurethane.

Is your curiosity satisfied?

Back
Top Bottom