Clearing out one argument

Also in the case of cars, or computers, or televisions, or video game systems, or basically anything, there is plenty of advance notice. Cars are unveiled every year, you always know when new models will become available. You can go on the Internet and search right now and have at least a vague idea of what is going to be released soon in just about any electronics market.

[offtopic]
Scott-
Nice to know a fellow Axe-FX'ian in Chicago. I'm new to the forums and to the Axe as well - and although I do not feel the sting as much as some more recent Ultra buyers would (by virtue of purchasing a standard - I could not justify an Ultra), I do appreciate and agree with the concerns expressed here by buyers who parted with their hard-earned money and being ill-informed.
Although I would think it's a moot point as I don't think there's anything coming out of FAS.
[/offtopic]

There's at least one more of us, the guy who sold me my Framus (in the burbs) had replaced it with an AxeFx. :) I'm pretty sure there are more than just the three of us though.

Marketing strategy is to let consumers know there is an upcoming new version and/or put the old models on clearance.
That is one of an infinite variety of possible marketing strageties. It may be viable with much larger companies than FAS, in cases in which the up-front R&D cost of a product has been amortized over millions of production units and the net loss to the company of blowout pricing of the old produucts is nonconsequential. For a small company like FAS, the loss incurred by engaging in such practices is unacceptable, if not fatal.

Every company that sells techonlogical products, mine included, publishes disclaimers to the effect of, "Specifications subject to change without notice." In addition, it is common to add a disclaimer that the company assumes no liability for making improvements available to prior purchasers of the product.

Insecurity over trust with a company that you buy a product for is valid, and does not need a psychiatrist. I don't know what your point was.
Here's the point: if you purchased an Ultra recently, either it serves your needs or it does not. If your needs are non-neurotic in nature, that will not change with the introduction of a new product.

Here's my take on the attitude in question:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud_2Yp2xDvc

Really? I can't stand it. I see this as a major point of contention between us in the future.

Someone burnt some popcorn in the microwave at work the other day and if I had any hair the smell probably would have gotten in it. Then you've got the frickin shells that get stuck in your teeth or the back of your throat.

I do like the crunchy ones that don't pop all the way; I even like the ones that hurt your teeth a bit to bite down on them. Full 'o flavor.

But beyond all of that I forgot what we were talking about in here.

Let's stay focused here people. Can we please get back to talking about popcorn?

Those crunchy ones that don't pop all the way are awesome.

Last edited:
Shasha, did you just take the plunge and buy your first and only Ultra in the past month or three? If you didn't, maybe you aren't trying hard enough to put yourself in the shoes of those of us who are in exactly that situation?
Did you wait 6 months and 3 days for your Ultra? All of us experienced the Axe trip in a different manner yet all arrived at the same spot. Better sound. The angst of buying a product, only to have a new and improved version follow is not limited to Axe II. I bought a new $2700.00 iMac only to have it followed by an improved hardware version and the new 11 series of software. To upgrade the software I had to pay. While I can understand frustrations realize that this 'is' the face of progress and we are given a box that does not sit still. I purchased when the Ultra had 128 presets on version 4.0 firmware.

Did you wait 6 months and 3 days for your Ultra? All of us experienced the Axe trip in a different manner yet all arrived at the same spot. Better sound. The angst of buying a product, only to have a new and improved version follow is not limited to Axe II. I bought a new $2700.00 iMac only to have it followed by an improved hardware version and the new 11 series of software. To upgrade the software I had to pay. While I can understand frustrations realize that this 'is' the face of progress and we are given a box that does not sit still. I purchased when the Ultra had 128 presets on version 4.0 firmware.

So you are saying that the Axe is good, the AxeII is better and that is progress.
Fine. No arguments. That was never the argument.

What I'm saying is that never will there come a time when 'someone' doesn't get caught in the frustration of technological progress. Therefore the only way you can maintain sanity is look at what you replaced not what replaced you. Are you better off with Ultra. Yes. Would you be even better with Axe II? Assume yes. However a sudden splurge of Ultra's for sale does not constitute long term market value and there are far too many variables for what's going on within the forum. Imagine if Fractal stopped production (hopefully not) what would the Ultra be worth? BTW thepacifist20130 I'm not trying to argue or spar with you. It's not my battle. It's just that I witness this every day.

BTW thepacifist20130 I'm not trying to argue or spar with you. It's not my battle. It's just that I witness this every day.

Neither am I. I, like most other users, are voicing what we feel in expectation that someone from the FAS team can possible enumerate their reasons behind such a controversial release of the AxeII. I fail to understand how they did not foresee it, and still mention stuff as "noone will get hurt".

I mean, people get burnt all the time with technology advances. Either tell us that there's a new product on the horizon, or don't tell us but then don't make a mockery by implying that the Axe-FX was 100% there yesterday, and 85% there today. Didn't they know the havoc such a release and marketing campaign would cause.

I myself own a standard, and am satisfied with it. But that does not pre-emp me from voicing my opinion if I feel something's wrong.......right?

Shasha, did you just take the plunge and buy your first and only Ultra in the past month or three? If you didn't, maybe you aren't trying hard enough to put yourself in the shoes of those of us who are in exactly that situation?
It's been a lot less than a year for sure, if I had to guess it'd be in the 6 month range or less. I honestly don't remember for sure.

I've been a member here for a few years and had a whopping 1 total post asking about AxePC in 2008 and got laughed off the board. :razz So basically I pissed away 2 years dragging my feet when I could have been playing it.

To me it doesn't really matter when it was announced; someone was going to have just bought one and they'd be in the same boat as you are. If they announced it two months from now would you feel the same way given all the exact same circumstances with people freaking out and trying to dump them?

What I am having trouble with understanding basically boils down to this, if the AxeFX was what you were wanting and it did what you wanted and you were happy with it's performance two days ago than what changed what IT does? What exactly caused the AxeFX to not perform as advertised? I'm not talking about external issues here; I'm talking about the product that you chose to purchase and use.

That's it, I suppose that it's my weird sense of logic or something that can't grasp the accusations of dishonesty here. I can most definitely understand disappointment without the benefit of hindsight after the fact, but short of a very FEW exceptions this happens with almost any product ever made.

He was selling a product for years, sold out of them and then announced the new version. What part of that is dishonest? The accusations IMHO stem from assumptions and the unrealistic resale value that the AxeFX held for so long which is almost just like the housing market and the bubble.

You want to talk about pissed? I'm down about $100K on my house and I bought the cheapest damn house I could find in the area. I bought responsibly and well within my means but because everyone else went out buying things they couldn't afford I'm in a huge financial hole. And it gets better, I'm probably going to have to move because of job and medical reasons within the next year so now I have a house that I can't live in and probably can't sell without going into an insane amount of debt...not to mention that I need to find somewhere else to live for me and my family...oh and I will need to find a job in the process...and because of my medical situation work is even going to be harder to find.

So I think that I can channel a bit of perspective on being screwed :). But you know what keeps me from losing my mind? Only worry about stuff that you can control and remember that no matter how bad things may seem at the end of the day you are still going to wake up tomorrow and you'll have something to do.

And I don't want to hear any "sorry about your problems" or stuff for me, because it's not needed, wanted or even warranted. I'd love to share some real insightful stuff with you guys that changed my outlook on a lot of things the last few years, but I can't for reasons I can't divulge (I could but it would be wrong). After I am sent packing and my commitments are fulfilled I may share specifics if someone is interested, but the jist of all it comes down to the fact that there are a lot more important things to worry about than 'stuff' and no matter how bad I will ever think that I have it there are a lot of people that have it a hell of a lot worse. I've seen people that I didn't know personally that were in situations so bad that you can't even look at them because you know how bad it is. I'm talking about that feeling where you get hot and your chest aches and you don't think that you can breath...but they just smile and keep moving forward. You want to talk about feeling like a whiny piece of crap after that....I'll never feel sorry for myself again.

I suppose that in some way that may be why I am so obsessed with this situation, because you don't have to feel this way. You still have a great piece of gear, why get all stressed out over it? It's just not worth it, nothing is worth being miserable over.

I'm done with all of this now, I don't have anything else to say about it and I think that it's run it's course. I think I'll fire up my AxeFX and have some fun playing guitar...poorly. :razz

I myself own a standard, and am satisfied with it. But that does not pre-emp me from voicing my opinion if I feel something's wrong.......right?

Your opinion is absolutely necessary. Right or wrong the direction I meant to imply is that this progression of marketing is fairly common and that the perceived value loss complaints are a bit off target. I can name a bevy of gear that sells for more today than when it originated and who is to say that is not the ultimate fate of the Ultra.

Your opinion is absolutely necessary. Right or wrong the direction I meant to imply is that this progression of marketing is fairly common and that the perceived value loss complaints are a bit off target. I can name a bevy of gear that sells for more today than when it originated and who is to say that is not the ultimate fate of the Ultra.
I don't see how....unless "digital" becomes "vintage" down the line.
It's exactly with that hope that I'm keeping my RP50 near my chest.....someday I would be able to trade it for a BMW.

Jokes aside - I agree with your point.

Back
Top Bottom