Cleanest amp with humbuckers - axeXL

Stratman68

Axe-Master
Solved - Cleanest amp with humbuckers - axeXL

Trying to find it, just want less distortion on the bridge pup-Thanks

Edit; I do have a hi pass filter at 200hz already

Found a few that work-Dual Clean for one-Lonestar clean for another.

Last edited:
Turn down the Input Trim in the amp block. 0.5 works pretty well with my passive seymour duncans (JB and Jazz) to clean things up compared to my Strat. Input trim is a transparent gain reduction and doesn't affect the tone the way turning down the Input Drive does, especially when bright it turned on. Incidentally, Cliff also said before that setting input trim to 0.5 is about the same as using the low sensitivity input on amps that have split inputs like older Fenders and Marshalls.

Yes, Input Trim is huge in getting truly clean sounds. It's also ok to have the gain really low. I find now that many amps sound great clean with super low input trim and gain. Fenders. USA Clean. Even something like Deluxe Tweed which can be quite gainy in a vintage way also cleans up beautifully with low enough input trim and gain levels. Don't be afraid to turn those levels way lower than you might think and then compensate with overall level control for the amp.

I use the Bassguy 59 with the gain somewhere below 2 and the input trim very low (input trim can do wonders). This is with a PRS with their \metal/ pickups which are really hot and my clean is crystal with no breakup of any kind.

... and don't superglue to 10 the vol-pot on the guitar! ;)
Typically, yes, but...

I'm on 10 with all vol/tone pots on a Les Paul with BKP Rebel Yells, and I'm pushing the MV of both the Shiva & Triptik to between 7-8.5, and they are CLEAN.

Triptik is more glassy, and Shiva definitely has more punch, but I've got to really push the gain before they get even a little dirty.

My clean patch base is the Bandmaster. I had a blackface '66 which is sold (which started my downward spiral into horse trading gear lol). I really like the Bandmaster (non-reverb of course). I find it to be bigger/smoother than a Deluxe reverb and it swallows pedals. And of course with the II you can put FX anywhere you like - it rich and thick without being strident and breaking up too soon. I'm not a fan of the Deluxe in the II; breaks up WAY too early for me - Princeton sound cool but a little narrow no matter what IR you try and use it with. My old clean preset used the Lonestar which was nice, but the Bandmaster is closer to home for me. Shiva is too pillow-like for me; a real Shiva is punchy as hell on the cleans. Maybe some of the Bogner cab IR's that are to be included with a future cab pack will help. Here is a clip of my old Shiva with a simple Zoom G3 dropped in for looping, all FX and overdrive:

^ I've had similar experiences to you Gasp100, although I'm planning to start from scratch w/ FW18 and revisit some of these amp models mentioned. I think finding the right IR (or combination of IRs using Cab Lab) is even more critical with the G3 changes. That and I'm fining some of these latest IRs are just a little better than those prior and seem to have a better feel.

I have to spend some time on this again w/ FW18, but I think I was using the USA Clean, 59 Bassman, JTM 45 and one or two others when going for a "true" clean sound with my Les Paul, which I always find a little more challenging than getting those types of cleans w/ P90's or single coils.

Thanks very much folks-Greatly appreciated-

I have printed out the thread so I can go thru it while tweaking

Thanks again

Ive been working on getting really great chiming cleans with my Sadowsky humbucker semi hollow..where do you guys run the Master Volume Trim? im using the Double Verb

Ive been working on getting really great chiming cleans with my Sadowsky humbucker semi hollow..where do you guys run the Master Volume Trim? im using the Double Verb

Hey there - if you lower the input trim down, as well as the gain and master volume, you will really clean up almost any amp (any of the models mentioned above are excellent).

Also make sure you pick a good IR for clean, some really work better than others.

Back
Top Bottom