Clean sound level problem

Andre

Hi,

I've tried to search the forum, but no luck. A simple question: I have a clean patch with 59 Bassman which sound very nice. However, I get some distortion when hitting semi-hard. I have tried to reduce most of the levels, but no luck so far. Probably missed one important thing. Any ideas?

André

Hi Andre,

Try reducing one or all of the following further: INPUT DRIVE, INPUT TRIM, MASTER VOLUME.

Increase LEVEL as needed.

Thanks! The input trim at 0.166 and +12 db on the level seems to do the trick. Input level on 5.0, master approx the same. Input drive at 5. When input trim was at 1.0 and level at 0 db, it distorted. Is that normal on the 59 bassman? I'm using a Fender Gilmour model with SSL5 bridge and CS neck.

You mean -12db on the level. There's an audible diference between output clipping and circuit clipping. The level will definitely affect the former. Also, rarely do patches allow 0db level, because it'll often clip the output.

I have a few clean presets where the Output Level is above 0 and it doesn't clip.

Andre, let me know if you have some time today and I'll show you some basics of gain structure on my video live stream.

Andre, your settings are probably fine, as is.

But if you're interested in replicating the actual amp, you might want to try setting the Master Vol to 10, and the Input Drive to between 2.5 and 3, or so. Feel free to mess with the Input Trim, as you wish… but you should be able to set it closer to 1.0, with the "realistic" settings above, without the amp breaking up.

Another quick fix to clean up an amp is to increase the negative feedback. It changes the feel of the amp slightly, and it's not really being "authentic" to the original amp, but it's a great way to preserve the clean sound and remove that little bit of fuzz from your loudest notes.

top tip: when you play real hard and get just a hint of dirt in the highs, try leaving it there
how things sound in isolation and how they sound / react in the mix are not the same thing
in the mix that little bit of grit may well seem to vanish.. and contrary to what you'd expect, it should make your tone sound a little brighter and more sparkly..
a hint of dirt will excite the highs in way the EQ alone cannot
I deliberately put a tiny hint of distortion on my acoustic guitars when mixing down for this very reason...

Back
Top Bottom