Clean slate and a fresh start.

Dixiethedog

Experienced
I'm going to start all over again.

I have had good times and fun with my good old AX8 but also some crappy times.
I seem to go through stages with my sound(s) where one day it sounds good another day like rubbish. (Which could be down to too much coffee, not enough sleep etc, etc).

Over time I have played my AX8 through a combo and then 2 combos. Then through some cheap s/h Alesis monitors before biting the bullet and buying some new Adam T5Vs. Which I thought would be the answer to my prayers and give me a great tone.

Sadly that was not the case, for me. Yesterday just for fun I plugged my rubbish cheap Alesis monitors in and the sound improved. My Adam monitors always seem to have a flabby, kind of distant undertone (or overtone?) of distortion. It might just be my ears but I am done with them.

My AX8's USB broke and even though I can do almost everything from the front panel I am done with it too. It is still useable but it is just time for a change.

I have been watching the s/h adverts for an FM9 or an FM3 and think that I may be able to do a deal on an FM3 at the weekend for a great price. If a deal is done I will promptly order some new monitors. Yamaha seems to be on the top of the list. I have always enjoyed hearing @Mark Pritchard who always sounds great with his, so if they are good enough for him they will be good enough for me.

Next up, I spend hours twiddling dials trying to find a sound. This afternoon I was watching YouTube where I watched somebody who sells presets demo them and I just thought, "Wow!" So I am going to invest in some pre-made commercial presets. If I get a sound that I love it will make me just plug in and play. And enjoy music again. Not plug-in and twiddle knobs...(or dials, LOL).

I feel like my guitar playing has become stagnant. A change will do me the wonder of good.

I feel like a small excited child waiting for Santa Claus on the week of Christmas. It won't be long before (hopefully) I have a new "rig".

I'm basically in the same boat with my Axe Fx2. I sold off some amps and other gear this past weekend to fund an FM3T and I'm hoping that it helps inspire my playing again.

I am now very much impatiently waiting for UPS to knock on my door and deliver my new magic guitar box.

I'm basically in the same boat with my Axe Fx2. I sold off some amps and other gear this past weekend to fund an FM3T and I'm hoping that it helps inspire my playing again.

I am now very much impatiently waiting for UPS to knock on my door and deliver my new magic guitar box.
I am looking forward to a change as well. My AX8 still works (minus the broken USB) but sometimes it is just time for a change. I am also doing a similar thing (change time) with some motorbikes. One of them is a Yamaha FJR1300 which runs beautifully is comfortable, cheap to run, and ticks a lot of boxes. A perfect touring bike. But I look at it and don't get a buzz. So it is time for a change. I will buy another 1300cc + bike that looks the same to an untrained eye. I'll bet nobody in my household will notice the difference between an AX8 and an FM3. Apart from me. :)
But good luck with your new purchase, I am excited for you!

I feel like my guitar playing has become stagnant. A change will do me the wonder of good.
From the ashes! Good luck!

I was considering the Adams, but after more reading and research am also veering more towards Yamaha's (probably HS5 or 7).

But similarly, waiting on my Axe to be delivered (due mid December), but very much enjoying getting back into guitar (even though I don't currently have anything but the guitar at the moment) after a very significant gap.

From the ashes! Good luck!

I was considering the Adams, but after more reading and research am also veering more towards Yamaha's (probably HS5 or 7).

But similarly, waiting on my Axe to be delivered (due mid December), but very much enjoying getting back into guitar (even though I don't currently have anything but the guitar at the moment) after a very significant gap.
Even though I am totally comfortable with setting up and messing around with patches/presets as a newbie can I suggest that you have a look at some of the commercial preset sellers who offer ready-made presets that could and would have you sounding exactly like your hero guitarist. It will make you want to play!
Last night I sat and watched an hour or so of commercial presets (Choptones on YT)(other equally great sellers are out there!) and imagined that if I sounded like the presets listened too that I would want to play and perhaps more importantly want to learn new songs from bands that have passed me by.
I know whichever way you go, you will absolutely LOVE your new Fractal Axe.

New gear makes a great motivator and can ignite a spark to make playing fun again.
Even though I am totally comfortable with setting up and messing around with patches/presets as a newbie can I suggest that you have a look at some of the commercial preset sellers who offer ready-made presets that could and would have you sounding exactly like your hero guitarist...
Keep in mind that your tone most likely won't sound like the tones you're hearing on YouTube videos. Commercial presets are often a good starting point, but there are too many variables (guitars, pickups, playing technique, monitors, recording methods, YouTube compressions) to guarantee you'll sound like the guy in the videos.

Back
Top Bottom