Clark Kent's OwnHammer Secret Sauce Recipes!!

I've actually had this problem with some of my IRs. I normalize them to -0.3dB but for some reason they are so much louder than other IRs even though all of them should be normalized. Weird stuff. Hmm..

It's not you, it's specific to the FAS platforms. Perhaps for reasons of requiring sufficient headroom underneath clipping the converters at full scale, the normalization standard for these units seems to be roughly 6 dB below what we are used to in the DAW. When creating the files for these two boxes I have to use the normalization in aomDSP. Unfortunately since Lynn isn't around, I'm not sure what the standard is here, but in the past I just converted them with the normal DAW level (-0.3) and the FAS users had the same experience as you: roughly 6 dB too 'loud'.

On the individual IR tracks, I thought the 1960A and the Mills sounded best. On the blended tracks, I liked the H30+H75 and H30+Mills. All of the blended cabs sounded better than the idividual cab tracks(IMHO), which is why I usually blend speakers in my patches.

I'm using the AOM to mix the ir's What is the correct way to mix them? I just select all and SAve IR mix. All default settings. Is that the correct way?

Thanks so much for this post. Learnt a lot! Are these cabs you are referring to in the V2 legacy Mesa V32 pack? After hearing your 1987x patch I purchased the pack. Hahaha

Thanks!

Hahaa thanks man! That Mesa V31 is an old IR pack. The Mesa V32 is the one you can buy from the OH website. :)

I'm using the AOM to mix the ir's What is the correct way to mix them? I just select all and SAve IR mix. All default settings. Is that the correct way?

Yeah that's the way it's done. Everything mixed in evenly for these mixes. Didn't bother tweaking too much. I might have to take another look at the Mesa cabs since they don't seem to work too well.. :)

Hey just a small fix here! The 1960A I'm talking about is this one "Marshall1960A-G12Ms".

Ironically enough it's the same speaker as in the 1960TV cab that seems to be popular in here. It's definitely one of the coolest IRs in the bunch.

Last edited:
Great great thread CK!!

Thanks for sharing insight on what can be totally confusing and daunting!!

Mesa V32 in the store is it same with your demo V30 Mesa ?
Because i want to purchase a pack ! :)

Yea man this is my recipe for that one:
E906 BV5
Fathead UM2
MD421 BV1
R121 BV1
SM57 BV6

UM = US Modern and BV = Brit Vintage

And it's the one I use in my 90s metal band at the moment. :)

So, I haven't been matching tones in quite some time. The reason is... I feel like it's cheating in a way and also I'd so much rather have the real IR which gives me more versatility etc. But! I've been so into Incubus and especially Light Grenades so I thought what the hell. I want that sound! So... unsurprisingly my theory of the evenly dropping frequencies from 4kHz down appears again:

incubus%20light%20grenades%20guitar%20tone.jpg

:) I dunno what it is but EVERY TIME when I hear a good professional recording... a whole mix that simply works amazingly well and when I look at the guitar spectrum, this is what I see. Every time.

Hey Clark, I looked at the spectrum of the amp and cab combo I use, which I can't take credit for, but I love it, and it's my go to sound, especially for live situations. I use Axeman's AC30 and a mix of the 2x12 blue and 2x12 silver generally with R121's... I've started with his and tweaked a bit for my guitar and speaker, but when I record into my computer i basically get the spectrum your showing. I'm going to try this theory out with some other cabs! Thanks guy! And another thanks to Axeman for giving me something to start with. It works great for U2, but I take it and use it in my country band too with some other little tweaks.

Clark,
thank you very much for the advice.
I mainly use the amp simulations Bogner and so I bought the pack "Owmhammer Bogner" and pack "Ownhammer GTR 412-MAR-CB MIX Speaker Modern Collection", but I can not seem to find the right combination of speakers ......
certainly incured too many choices!! ;)
Would you please do a mixing board baffle for use with both amp Bogner Extacsy Blue and Red simulations.
thank you in advance.

Thanks Clark for the recipe, Just got the Ownhammer mesa v32 last night and will try it today. can't wait! I didn't have much time last night and just imported one US SM57 modern and one Royer121 #5 as well and it already sounded better than my previous carefully selected IRs! this ownhammer pack seems to be the best IRs that I've ever tried!

Thanks guys! I usually prefer the BritVintage sound myself.

Hey I just realized that Kevin has that free Redux Bogner 4x12 cab up so if you guys want to hear a mix of mine made from that cab here it is. It's just SM57s but sounds pretty good I guess.

Also this should give you guys a taste of what the other mixes are like.. but bare in mind that this is a very limited mix. Only SM57 as a mic... but still rocks!

Attachments

• Clark Kent's Bogner Redux IR.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 48
Back
Top Bottom