Clark Kent's FW18 Mesa Mark IV John Petrucci Guide

Moral of the story ....... Irotlas, keep complaining about the amp sims! :D :lol

Well the thing is, I love Mesa amps and I love AXE FX, I just wan't it to be perfect so. It might be pointless to many people to do these a/b geek comparisons like me and Clark do. We all know axe fx sound awesome already. But it's fun and we just give you guys our opinions and results and maybe help some users to get better tones if they're having hard times tweaking.

...I might have something to say about fw18 rectos :D

I never knew what the difference was either, still don't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AMP parameters - Axe-Fx II Wiki

input select

• Selects which side of the incoming signal should be processed by the Amp block.
  • Use this parameter with two Amp blocks in conjunction with Left and Right Cab blocks, when using a single preset for two separate guitar. Or for stereo separation when running dual Amp blocks with a single guitar.

I just realized it is set as "Sum L+R" in all my presets..
But I don't know if it was different in any previous firmware.. what does it do exactaly? I mean, should it be Left for some reason? Would it be beneficial?

Input Select = Sum L+R in the AMP block is default, and it's okay, unless you need left/right separation.

It's the Input Mode parameter in I/O > Audio that's important "gain-wise".
When using a guitar in the front input, set Input 1 Mode to Left Only.
Do not select Sum L+R. Sum L+R sums the physical left (front or rear) and right (rear) inputs. This can introduce noise (from the disconnected right Input 1) and attenuates the overall signal level (6 dB), which decreases gain.

When do you want to use Sum L+R in I/O > Audio > Input 1 Mode?
When you're using input 1 left and right (stereo guitar, synth), and don't mind those signals to be merged into one mono signal.

Input connections and levels on the Axe-Fx II - Axe-Fx II Wiki

Thanks for this post CK. You know, as much as I value these settings and this info, what I would value much more would be some insight into your process. I mean, the thing that still gives me trouble is knowing just how to approach a problem like this. My ears are good ( I think) and I build some decent tones, but for me the order of operations is kind of the thing I still struggle with after all these years. I start with stock (default) amp settings, and then I usually start with drive level, and then MV, and then B,M,T,P. But I'm curious as to how you approach things, and in what order.

After I start getting "close" to what I think I'm after, that's when it gets tricky. If something needs to change, I'm not always clear on if I need to move drive or MV, or maybe something else. It can end up getting a little random and experimental (Hmmm... I wonder what happens if I turn THIS up?)
What I wish for is to one day be able to know that if my sound is too this or that (grainy, flat, tubular, thin, muddy, whatever) that I should tweak a certain parameter. I wouldn't know to go into certain settings on the speaker page for example. I've read the guides, and understand many of the controls, but so many of them overlap or affect each other that knowing in what ORDER to make moves is kind of key. If anyone can ever get in depth on THAT subject, it would have loads of value.

The other area that I feel could really open up possibilities for people would be more discussion about setting tones in a mix. I can tweak a tone until I think it's great, and even do it at loud (gig) volume and like it, but then when bass, keys, drums, and vocals get added live, I find that the tone isn't what I thought it was. Usually I'm on the thin side, or it won't cut enough. (I know about FM, and I run my mids pretty high and follow all the theory. This isn't just and AXE thing really, it's more of an overall tone thing no matter the amp)

What is AXE specific though is that generally, due to the nature of how complicated it can be to tweak and dial in the AXE, there is little to no chance to fix issues during live rehearsal, so all I can do is take a quick note of what I don't like, and then try to go back at it the next day and try to take a stab at it. It has taken me weeks to dial in certain sounds (I get one shot a week at it basically). Now I'm on 18 and going through that again. I'd love to know more about how pro gigging musicians approach this. I'm a hobbyist, but more and more I find myself playing with pro's or pro level guys, and the demands on me are going up. The level of what I am doing (and with who) has taken a jump in the last year so I am really working to achieve stellar tone live. (I have no issues with recording tones... it's live tones in a mix that are far more challenging to me)

I'm going to create a video tutorial on tips to how to tweak your sounds. Hopefully it'll help the community. :)

This. And also only on Simul-class Boogies as well (ones that have Class A/Simul-Class switch on the back). The outer sockets are wired and biased differently to get more of a class A vibe and that's what allows for using EL34's. EL34's in the inner sockets can damage the amp. Mark IV's are all simulclass 90 watts, so it's OK. Mark V has a bias switch to allow EL34's as well. Older Mark II and III amps came in many configurations (60watt, 100watt, 90watt simulclass, 180watt! simulclass, EQ or no EQ, reverb or no reverb, etc., so not all can support EL34's.

Forgot about the Simul-class part. Good looking out.

Thanks!!!

I used your Izotope / tone match video back in the day. How many views did you end up with that one? It really opened the door for tone matching.

Hahaa thanks man. Yeah it's got almost 50.000 views at the moment. I'm probably not going to monetize my YouTube account yet for those numbers. :D

I'm editing the tutorial as I'm typing.

EDIT: But still I remember back in 2011 when there was no Kemper and no tone matching and I was all about match EQ and hyping it a lot. Most other forums didn't really care about that stuff. One in particular forum that is all about the Kemper nowadays actually went all in with the bashing. It's funny to me to see them being completely happy with their Kempers now that is actually using pretty much the same technology they were bashing a year or two before the Kemper. In here however the power of match EQ and tone matching has been clear all the time and it's been treated with the respect it deserves. :) We were talking about the tone match block way before KPA was out but I still think people consider the tone match block as FAS trying to do the Kemper thing.

Last edited:
Always struggled with this amp, but I just spent an hour jamming with this set up! I had that cab in the axe already, really like your ir's. Clark Kent's cabs have really made my Heavy presets come alive. I think anyone who owns an AXE FX and doesn't buy all the ir's you can is missing out on the full experience. I have Paks 3-8 and it was well worth the small investment compared to the cost of the Axe-Fx. Lovin FW18 too!

Hahaa thanks man. Yeah it's got almost 50.000 views at the moment. I'm probably not going to monetize my YouTube account yet for those numbers. :D

I'm editing the tutorial as I'm typing.

EDIT: But still I remember back in 2011 when there was no Kemper and no tone matching and I was all about match EQ and hyping it a lot. Most other forums didn't really care about that stuff. One in particular forum that is all about the Kemper nowadays actually went all in with the bashing. It's funny to me to see them being completely happy with their Kempers now that is actually using pretty much the same technology they were bashing a year or two before the Kemper. In here however the power of match EQ and tone matching has been clear all the time and it's been treated with the respect it deserves. :) We were talking about the tone match block way before KPA was out but I still think people consider the tone match block as FAS trying to do the Kemper thing.

I was familiar with the Waves Q-Clone plugin before I even knew what match EQ was :) Later on, my older brother bought Izotope 3 (or maybe 4?) and turned me on to match EQ.

I had never used it for a single track or for tone matching though. We were using Izotope Match EQ on the mix buss to EQ and evaluate the entire mix of a song as compared to our favorite records from other mixers and producers.

Hey Clark,

thanks for this information. Great work! Ivé loaded Cab Pack 8 and used the settings in detail what you´ve posted. I set the gain a bit higher to get in crunch mode. Here´s what i´ve got:

I used my EBMM JP13 and this IR - CK USA Trad SM57-R121 02.

The bass is a lot for me. Isn´t it? Mr. Petrucci would say it´s flubby or not?
And a lot highs in the lead...

Cheers,
Alex

Hey Clark,

thanks for this information. Great work! Ivé loaded Cab Pack 8 and used the settings in detail what you´ve posted. I set the gain a bit higher to get in crunch mode. Here´s what i´ve got:

Cheers,
Alex

John is that you?

:D I'm only using my laptop speakers to listen to this but it doesn't flubby at all... infact it sounds tight. Might just be your monitors. :) Sounds really good.. definitely sounds like Petrucci.

Hey Clark,

Cheers,
Alex

Lots of bass but not flubby though. The bass is tight.

Mm8ngKp.jpg

That's about what my guitar sounded like when I dialed my patch exactly as instructed in OP.

Same problem here.. raise the input trim to about 1.7 and see if the bass gets tighter..
The Makr IV bass has been a problem for me since day #1, it sounds like a fart even with higher gain settings.. input trim seems to solve that..

Well try lowering the bass knob on the amp first. Having it like Petrucci was way too much for my PRS also. The low res is actually not a huge tweak from the stock settings IIRC.

Back
Top Bottom